help me choose please!!!

hokie075

Original Poster
I need some advice. We are planning a short 4 night trip the last week of August and I can decide where to stay. Here are my three choices Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, or Dolphin. I can get all three for the same price and its in our budget. Also any of the All Star or Pop resorts would be in their too. We are only going to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom one day each and just relaxing the other two days. So any advice would be helpful. I am leaning towards POR just what I have read seems relaxing. Thanks in advance.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
CBR or POR would be my choices...leaning towards POR.

I'd steer clear of the All Stars, but that's just my preference. AoA / Pop are nice because you can share busses...if I were to stay at one or the other, I'd choose AoA because the rooms are newer.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks kind of what I was thinking. I hope I can get some Dolphin feedback.

I know someone who stayed there last year. She raved about it. Nice rooms, great restaurants. Her pictures looked very nice as well. I'd consider that hotel as "inbetween" a deluxe resort and a moderate.

I, personally, wouldn't stay there, but that's just because I can't justify the extra expense when compared to a moderate...but, I would certainly consider it a "better" hotel than POR.

hokie075

Original Poster
I found a deal on Hotwire where I can stay at Dolphin cheaper than POR. Only reason it's in the conversation for me.

hokie075

Original Poster
I was just doing some reading on tripadvisor and noticed Dolphin is a Sheraton owned hotel and does not get very good reviews. It was actually ranked last of all WDW hotels. Maybe that's why it has such a good deal on it. Well gonna give it a day or so and see if I can get some more feedback and study on it a little bit.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That was an awesome review thanks for sharing.

Glad you liked it. Hope it helped.

I've traveled with her briefly before (to Disneyland), and she travels a lot (I think she mentions that in her review) and is quite used to rating hotels...so, I take her opinion seriously.

That being said...being a touch of a "disney snob"...I'd probably still choose POR! <grin>

I_heart_Tigger

I need some advice. We are planning a short 4 night trip the last week of August and I can decide where to stay. Here are my three choices Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, or Dolphin. I can get all three for the same price and its in our budget. Also any of the All Star or Pop resorts would be in their too. We are only going to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom one day each and just relaxing the other two days. So any advice would be helpful. I am leaning towards POR just what I have read seems relaxing. Thanks in advance.

I split my trip last month between CBR and Dolphin and stayed last year at POR so I can give you advice on all 3, IMHO.

CBR - I enjoyed it, I don't mind the walk or the busses though which are the most frequents comments. I stayed in the Barbados section which was a short walk from check in and my beach and pool were very quiet. (Spent a lovely afternoon in a hammock on the beach reading a book and drinking lemonade....ahhh. Not another person there the entire time.) Walk to the shopping/dining was maybe 7 minutes tops, likely closer to 5. I only went to the main pool to look around, wouldn't swim there, personally because it was so crowded and the pool in my section was usually quiet - 6 people at the most and that was only on 1 of my 5 or 6 visits.

Busses ran fairly frequently, I never waited more than 10-15 minutes. Internal bus system was never used since I don't mind walking around the resort.

POR - my favourite moderate resort. Love the pathways and little bridges - I usually stay in Alligator Bayou. I also love the option of taking the boat to DTD. Room is basically the same as CBR so no better/worse there. I have also taken the boat for POFQ for a walk around or to visit their pool instead. the pool situation is about the same as CBR - smaller pools are quieter and main pool is filled with screaming rugrats and usually avoided by me. I like the dining room here better than CBR.

Dolphin - this is very much a Starwood resort and definitely not a Disney one. This is a conference hotel. I was there for a conference and it seemed 75% of people there were as well. The lobby and lobby bar (which is in an odd spot between the escalators and lobby) was always full of people in business dress and name tags. This resort has a superb location! Best in the parks in my opinion. I walked to Epcot and DHS on several occasions. Both walks are easy, DHS took maybe 10 minutes - seemed to go by fast, anyway and I got there before my friends who were waiting for the boat transfer.

I walked to the Boardwalk bakery everyday for a quick breakfast. It's gorgeous in the morning and not very crowded. Evenings were spent at the parks, usually Epcot since I enjoy the dining and the drinks. If I still wanted some fun I gathered a group and headed to Jellyrolls.

Now - all that being said - if you are not doing Epcot or DHS, I don't know if I would recommend it. It was run down in areas, I had a few issues with things (no chair in the room at the desk, no towels left from housekeeping, packages misplaced at their package pickup) nothing major and they were eventually fixed but it got to be that each day I wondered what would go wrong. Also keep in mind while you say this is the same price you still have to pay a resort fee and if you are driving add the parking fee as well.

Dolphin might be slightly better for the two non-park days since you could enjoy the swan boats (tacky fun for everyone!) and the Boardwalk area but for visiting MK and AK I think either of the other two would be better.

PUSH

POR is a great relaxation resort. The pools are great, the landscaping is awesome, and the river just makes everything better. If you want to go for walks, it's a great place to do so. The walk from POR to POFQ is really nice, too.

StarWarsGirl

CBR or POR, probably POR. I've never stayed at Dolphin, but I've been through it frequently and have even been in the rooms before when I've had friends stay there. It's very much a conference hotel and not a Disney one. The pool is not that great. Your only advantages are proximity to Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach Club, and proximity to Epcot if you changed your mind and decided to go over there. Other than that, what they have to offer you can get at POR or Carribean Beach.

POR is just a really nice relaxing resort. Moderates and Deluxes are better for relaxing than values. The pools are nicer, rooms are nicer, they have sit down restaurant(s). POR also has a beach, boat transportation to Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Downtown Disney (great if you decide you want to explore other resorts). That's why it gets my vote. POR also has several pools (I believe if you wanted to you coud swim over at French Quarter's pool as well). Just a lot of advantages. They also have the bike rental and kayaking. Caribbean Beach also has a lot of recreational activities. My advice would be to get on Disney's website, look at the offerings, the size of the resorts, and their pools, and pick which one looks the best to you

Mukta

I just stayed at the Dolphin in December and I liked it.

I liked it because I didn't have to take the bus to Epcot or DHS. It gives easy access to those 2 parks. Since you aren't visiting either park, I don't think it is a good option for you.

Are you driving? Do you need to take Disney's Magical Express from the airport? The Dolphin has high parking charges and does not qualify for DME.

I don't like the values, so I would pick POR if I were you.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Since you are not going to Epcot or DHS I say go with POR. It is a great resort to relax since that is what you are doing for 2 of your 4 days.

hokie075

Original Poster
POR is what we decided to go with. I think it is best for us on this trip. I have never stayed on a Disney Property before. We always stay off property but have never flew in before either. Thanks for all of your tips and advise. Now I have to figure out where to make food reservations.

tare

Por and cbr are bothe very nice. If you just plan on lounging and such. Go with cbr. They have live bands down by the pool most afternoons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom