Have you ever done a spontaneous trip?

HollyAD

So with all this snow and being out of work for a broken foot...I have really been thinking of a spontaneous WDW trip. Of course this is a busy week and hotel availability isn't great. I was just going to pack my stuff and head out as soon as my cast comes off tomorrow! (Prob not a great idea but it's fun in theory) What are your experiences with a last minute trip? How did it work out for you? This is on my bucket list for sure.

lunchbox1175

We have done a last minute trip a couple of times, my favorite being for the Long Lost Friends Week a couple years ago, we had an absolute blast, only downside was that we drove from Houston, in retrospect, I wish I had spent the money to fly, but we still had an awesome time. The build up to a WDW vacation is usually part of the fun, but it was awesome to just say "let's go", pack a bag, get in the car, and head on down.

Upvote 0

SnowWhite1015

Yes. We were actually on vacation in Clearwater, FL last May and it was supposed to rain for the next two days so I casually asked DF if he wanted to go to Disney. I've never seen the man get out of bed so fast! It was my first time at WDW and I loved it! Booking was easy, we checked into our resort right away even though we were early, hopped on a bus and all in all about three hours after we made the decision to go we were walking into MK. If I could book a trip and leave tomorrow morning I'd do it in half of a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

S. Paridon

So with all this snow and being out of work for a broken foot...I have really been thinking of a spontaneous WDW trip. Of course this is a busy week and hotel availability isn't great. I was just going to pack my stuff and head out as soon as my cast comes off tomorrow! (Prob not a great idea but it's fun in theory) What are your experiences with a last minute trip? How did it work out for you? This is on my bucket list for sure.
Yup. Back in May 2011 my wife and I were (and still are) fed up with work and said, "Screw it. Lets go to WDW. We booked for June, which was about two weeks away. Flew in with our little boy and had one of the best trips we have ever had. The spontaneous nature of it made it all the more worth while.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

My dw and I did one about 18 years ago. In those days it was a lot easier to get dinner reservations etc. My DW also surprised me with a long weekend trip a few years ago. We sent our DS to his grandmothers for the week and my DW said go pack a bag we re going to Disney. I thought she was joking until I saw the tickets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SMS55

One of the perks of living in Florida. We've decided on a Tuesday to leave Friday when the kids let out school to head to Disney. It's only 3.5 hours. We booked on site with the Florida resident discount. It's harder to do now, but on some of those we had even done character dinners.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Unfortunately, we have never taken a spontaneous trip. It hasn't worked for us quite yet financially, timing wise, getting time off from work, etc. However, every time I see one of those flight deals where you can book for really cheap for a trip within the month, or likewise with a resort it makes me curiouser and curiouser. Ahhh one day...

Upvote 0

Acolli18

I remember we did one about 10 years ago. We were sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store and I told my mom that we needed to go because we hadn't been in a few years. She laughed and said we'll see. Two weeks later, we were headed to the airport! We laugh about that trip today still, and I try every once in a while to pull that same feat off. Hasn't happened.

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

Took one a couple years ago with my then-boyfriend. Asked him if he could take 1-2 days off to extend a weekend, he could, I could, it was all booked in under an hour and we traveled less than two weeks after booking. It was a great time.

Upvote 0

Acolli18

In all reality, are spontaneous trips even possible anymore? I haven't experienced Disney with the new Magic Bands, but it seems like so much needs to be planned ahead of time, between dining and fastpasses, I'm curious if it is still possible to throw a trip together...

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

In all reality, are spontaneous trips even possible anymore? I haven't experienced Disney with the new Magic Bands, but it seems like so much needs to be planned ahead of time, between dining and fastpasses, I'm curious if it is still possible to throw a trip together...

I think spontaneous trips are definitely doable these days, even with the Magic Bands. While Magic Bands weren't part of my particular trip, ADRs definitely were, and we were still able to snag tables to everywhere we wanted last minute. Certain options may not be available (Be Our Guest, or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for FP+, for example), and time of year may be a factor, but you can still enjoy a spontaneous trip. It just has a different overall vibe to it.

Upvote 0

Acolli18

I think spontaneous trips are definitely doable these days, even with the Magic Bands. While Magic Bands weren't part of my particular trip, ADRs definitely were, and we were still able to snag tables to everywhere we wanted last minute. Certain options may not be available (Be Our Guest, or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for FP+, for example), and time of year may be a factor, but you can still enjoy a spontaneous trip. It just has a different overall vibe to it.

I figured as much, I don't think WDW would make that big of a mess lol. You hear so much about how trips have to be "planned 180 days out" now that I feel like next time we head to the World we're going to be on a strict schedule, but I've also heard there is more flexibility than it seems.

Upvote 0

Joanna Allen

My husband and I went in January. We decided about a week before. Granted I have my own house to stay in it still is a hard to find last minute time available as we rent it out. Both of my kids were home from college so we left them with the farm chores at home and we went to enjoy a couple of days at Disney. It was great.

Upvote 0

HollyAD

Original Poster
I believe they are... You just have to let go of the typical mindset of having to have every second planned out. I think it would be fun to just go on the fly. Maybe you would have to try a new restaurant because your favorites are booked. Or may you would stop at a pavilion at the World Showcase you had never taken the time to see because you had always been so pressed to make your fast pass time frame.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

We were just able to put a trip together 30 days out for spring break. Room where we wanted, dining and fast pass for the rides we want at each park. We were looking more to just get out of the cold weather so being able to get dining and fast passes were just bonuses!

Upvote 0

smk

Planned a trip, cancelled all but the room due to circumstances beyond our control, held out hope we could work it out. Eleven days before we were to leave we decided to go for sure. It was like a spontaneous trip because I had mentally prepared for not going, mourned the loss, cried. And then, we went anyway! It was a great feeling.

Upvote 0

WhatJaneSays

While most of my Disney trips have been planed there have been a fair amount of spontaneous trips to. The benefit of being within an hour and a half drive of WDW is being able to just GO when the mood strikes.

Now I’m living practically in the shadow of Animal Kingdom so all my trips are essentially spontaneous. I’ve had times when I was out running errands all day and on the way home and thought “I’ve been an adult today I deserve ice cream and fireworks” ... and shortly there after I’m sitting with an ice cream and watching fireworks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom