Haunted Mansion and Fastpass+

tracyandalex

@Goofyernmost We always go through the interactive queue because of DD and it's always awkward when folks wait behind us. We always tell them they can pass, but some don't so then we end up rushing because we feel bad. I can just see this scenario playing out 100 times per day and who knows how everyone else will handle it. Although if we are in the same spot long enough perhaps even the interested kiddos will be ready to move on.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The other problem with an interactive Queue at HM is the line doesn't move evenly At Pooh the line moves evenly -two or 3 people at a time so each group has time to play if the line is long enough. HM takes a giant group of people at a time so if kids want to play they may not be able to with the way the line moves. They are watching other kids play and anticipating their turn to play. Then 50 people get let in and they may now be moved way ahead of the play area.

MOXOMUMD

It just doesn't make sense to say many online disney fans are idiots so generically like that. So we aren't Disney's favorite customers. You don't have to say we are idiots. It's mean.
Okay, take this with a grain of salt. (I'll type slowly ;)) Um, how old are you? (And I'm not picking on the younger crowd. There are some cool knowledgeable younguns on this board. Yeah, I'm pointing at you @KIDLOVESDISNEY. :)) Here's a few pointers because I'm seriously thinking you don't understand. This isn't Facebook where you're chatting with your BFFS. (Asking someone if they have kids in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with kids comes to mind.) Learn the terms "thread derailed". (My apologies to everyone for this right now but teach them the ropes, right?) I don't want to read what should be a private conversation in the middle of a news thread.

Learn to read sarcasm. (Stop laughing @dxer07002.) I think the difference between fact and opinion has been beaten to hell already this week. You stated you just went to WDW for the first time so it's understandable you still have rose colored glasses on. Look at the join dates of some of these members. They've been around for the good times, the bad times and everything in between. Some of us have been going to WDW for probably longer than you've been alive. (Assuming you're young. Some of your posts sound like my 7 year old's friends. No you didn't, yes I did.:p Thank god she doesn't talk like that.) We all want the best for Disney.

If you don't want to read something that may be considered "mean" (Stop laughing again @dxer07002!) I suggest you stay out of the News thread until you get a thicker skin or find somewhere to post with unlimited pixie dust to snort. (Chit Chat would be great for you.) Just saying.....here's the trash can for your tissues.

Thread back online. Carry on.

nytimez

Funny, I didn't get that at all... I got the whole "these haunts are happy and not sinister, so much for that foreboding feeling you are supposed to get" feeling...

Needed to add in here... the queue is cartoony... how anyone can get creepy feelings, get the sense of foreboding from a cartoony queue is beyond me... Maybe they are trying to hard to like it... I don't know..

Thanks for the armchair psychiatry - could it be that maybe someone has a different opinion? Trying too hard to like it? Really? Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar, Dr. Freud.

I actually didn't like the HM new queue at first, and there are still things I don't like. Like most of the NexGen stuff, it's too noisy. But once I was able to block out some of that noise and pay attention to the details, I found many things I do like. Not everything. But there are things I like and things that work well, IMO.

It gives away the fact that the ghosts are (mostly) friendly before that is supposed to be revealed and the literal depiction of the organ banshees is a major violation of the show logic.
for more on this see here.
http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2011/05/decadence.html

Nah.

RSoxNo1

In short, the effects in the queue should be the level of apparition that occurs right before the seance room. By having the sensation of ghosts around you before the stretch room is too early for the build up.

Jaws wasn't avoid movie because the shark was there in scene 1, there was a build up to it.

EOD K9

Here is a minor thread-jack but it still kind of relates. A previous poster mentioned getting rid of FP all together. Everyone knows that TSMM can have extremely long lines. I have been fortunate enough to go to DCA and ride TSM out there. They don't have FP and the line moves fairly quickly. Nobody sees what appears to be line skipping (FP) and you're on in a shorter amount of time. Things were easier when everyone just waited at once.

nytimez

Sort of a blasé response to an essay with a lot of insight.

It means I'm not going to refute it point by point here - I've expressed what I like about the queue and I can either repeat myself -- and we can go in circles (as so many arguments on here do) -- or we can acknowledge different opinions and go our different ways.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else you want out of me. But, I'm not the going-in-circles type, which is why I didn't reply to the post two posts above yours, either. Any response I'd have would repeat what I've already said.

WDITrent

It means I'm not going to refute it point by point here - I've expressed what I like about the queue and I can either repeat myself -- and we can go in circles (as so many arguments on here do) -- or we can acknowledge different opinions and go our different ways.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else you want out of me. But, I'm not the going-in-circles type, which is why I didn't reply to the post two posts above yours, either. Any response I'd have would repeat what I've already said.
I don't like going in circles either, and I think it's fine that you like the queue. I just find the Long Forgotten to be an extremely interesting blog. If anything, I recommend you read it for your own enjoyment!

nytimez

I don't like going in circles either, and I think it's fine that you like the queue. I just find the Long Forgotten to be an extremely interesting blog. If anything, I recommend you read it for your own enjoyment!

Yeah, I read it - he loses me with his "this is a slap in the face to Walt Disney himself" argument.

For me, the baseline I think we all need to agree on before we argue about anything Disney is we need to stop pretending we all think we know what Walt would think about any of this stuff. It's a pointless and useless exercise, and I tend to stop listening when people play the Walt Card.

Siren

I don't mind the cemetery. I think there are clever touches in there. And I don't mind having two ways to approach a ride, even if it confuses some people.

It does however lead to different people reacting differently to social etiquette situations they've never encountered before. Can you pass someone who stopped to play? If you've stopped to play, should you attempt to prevent people from passing you?

Answers, in order, should be YES and NO. But, there does not seem to be widespread agreement on this, based on what I've observed in the HM queue.
Yes! I totally agree with *all* of your posts. It seems like almost all of Disney's queues are enhanced now -- Peter Pan is my favorite and Winnie The Pooh, Toy Story Mania (in front of Mr. Potato Head) and 7DMT are my least favorites.

Ideally, I feel like it's okay for guests to pass anyone who stops to play, but in reality I never attempt to move ahead of anyone. The best enhanced queues are the ones with no play area. The Dumbo queue can be hit or miss for families depending on everyone's mood. I can't wait to see the Frozen and Avatar ride queues, especially Avatar.

Bolt

Yes! I totally agree with *all* of your posts. It seems like almost all of Disney's queues are enhanced now -- Peter Pan is my favorite and Winnie The Pooh, Toy Story Mania (in front of Mr. Potato Head) and 7DMT are my least favorites.

Ideally, I feel like it's okay for guests to pass anyone who stops to play, but in reality I never attempt to move ahead of anyone. The best enhanced queues are the ones with no play area. The Dumbo queue can be hit or miss for families depending on everyone's mood. I can't wait to see the Frozen and Avatar ride queues, especially Avatar.
Been thinking about that response for a couple of years?

JohnD

The Cemetary was put in FOR FP+. That's the purpose of interactive queues is to attempt to entertain the Stand-By guests while FP zips by.

I don't get all the complaining. How is this interactive queue any different from the interactive queues in PPF or 7DMT? It's understood FP+ gets you to the ride sooner. The interactive elements are added to standby to keep those in that queue occupied. Soarin is also similar in this regard.

Magenta Panther

The trouble with the queue at HM is that it makes the once-broad walkway horribly cramped, horribly jumbled and horribly incoherent. Now, I admit that when I saw the various installments (in pictures on the web, before they were installed) I thought they looked awesome. But once they were put in place...they're a waste of space. The entrance to the HM is now a mess. The ride's narrative isn't improved one bit. People walk by the installments rather than play with them, because they have no idea what the things are supposed to do. And those narrow corridors get very close and hot in the summer. All in all I really think the queue needs to be removed and restored to the original, not because I'm a rigid traditionalist, because the queue simply does not work. I hope to goodness TDA doesn't try anything like it on the HM in Disneyland. That would be an assault and a tragedy.

catmom46

Wow, now I'm really curious to go on HM in MK, as the queue in Disneyland is so boring. We haven't bothered going yet as we thought they were the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom