Haunted Mansion....3D or Not 3D

Magenta Panther

I dislike the new Hitchhiker animations. They look exactly like what they are - projections on a screen. Whereas the old Hitchhikers looked like they were really sitting in the cars. I'm not saying this because I'm an HM purist. I really wanted to like the new effects. But I don't. An old but great effect was replaced by a mediocre modern effect. Not exactly "plussing", to my mind.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I dislike the new Hitchhiker animations. They look exactly like what they are - projections on a screen. Whereas the old Hitchhikers looked like they were really sitting in the cars. I'm not saying this because I'm an HM purist. I really wanted to like the new effects. But I don't. An old but great effect was replaced by a mediocre modern effect. Not exactly "plussing", to my mind.

I wanted to not like it, as I'm a bit of a purist in this regard...but frankly, I did.

The interactive queue...not so much.

StarWarsGirl

The Disneyland version has the older effect. I just rode it. Now...I just prefer the newer effect. IMO it looks more real.

StarWarsGirl

Haunted Mansion is practically perfect just how it is.
7d1.jpg

So is Mary Poppins;)

Tom Morrow

Yep, I don't even like the new hitchhiker animations because, as others stated, its obviously a screen projection, whereas the original, simpler effect with physical animatronics looked much more convincing. Who cares if they didn't "interact" with you? That made it more creepy and effective.

So, no on 3D effects.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yep, I don't even like the new hitchhiker animations because, as others stated, its obviously a screen projection, whereas the original, simpler effect with physical animatronics looked much more convincing. Who cares if they didn't "interact" with you? That made it more creepy and effective.

So, no on 3D effects.

As I stated, I really didn't WANT to like the new effects. I was incredibly leery of them.

But, I found myself enjoying the antics, the projection aspect wasn't nearly as obvious as I was concerned it would be, and I walked off the ride enjoying it none the less. As far as a minor upgrade to the ride, I do see it as just that...an upgrade.

However, I agree with a lot of the assessment here...

http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2011/06/beware-of-these-hitchhiking-ghosts.html

Especially this section...

"There is something else about the new mirror HHG's that worries me, though. They represent eye-popping, cutting edge high tech—today. So tell me, how many years do you suppose it will take before you can download a set of programs, buy a couple of pieces at Fry's, and achieve the same sort of effects at home? Four years? Six, maybe? The Imagineers have committed themselves now. When the razzle loses its dazzle, what kind of antics will the mirror ghosts have to display in order to stay ahead of the curve? And does anyone believe that thematic consistency and good taste will survive this process? Hah. Those will be the first things thrown under the bus.
"Well, that may be true, but let's face it: the old effect needed to be upgraded. Sure, it
wowed people when it was new, but that was in 1969. Today it looks old-fashioned."
I've heard that one more than once. What absolute rubbish. The original mirror effect wasn't anything close to high tech in 1969. It was low tech. It was like Pepper's Ghost and changing portraits and all those other 19th century (and older) magic tricks. There is nothing about it and its mechanics that would have puzzled a stage magician from the 1890's. Criminy, this thing could have been built in the 1890's. The hitchhikers on the ghosty-go-round are nothing more than rod puppets. They aren't even electric. Two-way mirrors are nothing but regular mirrors that have been partially silvered instead of fully silvered. Old as the hills. Tracks. Wheels. Connecting rods. A couple of simple electric motors and some basic lighting and you're there.
Despite the whole Lonesome Ghost thing, which I kinda like, I get a bad feeling from all of this.
Every time they trade in a classic, low tech magical illusion for a gee-whiz high tech wonder, I fear that something of the character
of the ride is being diminished. It's that old-timey magic show feeling that suits so well the Victorian look of the Haunted Mansion."

Sped2424

3dhauntedmansion1.jpg

Here is some leaked concept of the the 3d ride. The glasses would have been made to look like masquerade masks which is cool. Personally I think if they incorporated 3d in the right places it could work all of the current ghosts should stay but maybe in some scenes throw in some new ones here and there. As for the new pluses on the ride I don't mind most of them however Im not really feeling the new bride scene, something about the old one felt much more chilling just hearing the heartbeat and seeing her stare at something that looks like its off in the distance behind you, the projection they have now doesn't really work for me. Bring this bride back something about her yellow slits and no face just terrify me.
40c04990.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
3dhauntedmansion1.jpg

Here is some leaked concept of the the 3d ride. The glasses would have been made to look like masquerade masks which is cool. Personally I think if they incorporated 3d in the right places it could work all of the current ghosts should stay but maybe in some scenes throw in some new ones here and there. As for the new pluses on the ride I don't mind most of them however Im not really feeling the new bride scene, something about the old one felt much more chilling just hearing the heartbeat and seeing her stare at something that looks like its off in the distance behind you, the projection they have now doesn't really work for me. Bring this bride back something about her yellow slits and no face just terrify me.
40c04990.jpg
I too am not fond of Constance...

graphite1326

I agree.

graphite1326

I recently went to BG where they have a 3D haunted mansion (sort of). It was just ok. HM is a classic and shouldn't be upgraded to 3D. In fact see the post above, I would like them to get rid of the projected hitchhikers. The old style looked better.

Victor Kelly

If it is not lights, 3D, interactive, on the net, on facebook or twitter etc today's generation of kids don't like it. They have lost their imaginations and ability to interact with others in real life.

HM in 3D is going the wrong direction. If it is going to be 3D this and that then they can get rid of the large show buildings, put you in a dark room with surround sound and beam the jokery to your noggin in 3D.

Personally 3D makes me ill. I don't watch it at the movies, and I subject myself as little as possible to it. I also feel that the interactive queues make the line move slower with the attention deprived people not wanting to stop playing with the buttons and lights.

The last rehab of the HM was really nice. I was there before the new dingbat line was constructed, and the hitchhiking ghosts changed. I did like the replacement for the spiders, the steps with footsteps. But did not like the deletion of the picture gallery where the eyes follow you. I enjoyed the addition of all the ghosts pictures as well as more eyes in the dark. Simple is what makes things enjoyable. Get complex and stuff breaks more easily and more often.

Tom Morrow

Kids are still fascinated by the centuries-old Pepper's Ghost effects in Haunted Mansion, so if they are making changes like the new hitchhiking ghosts to please children, that is very misguided.
As for the new pluses on the ride I don't mind most of them however Im not really feeling the new bride scene, something about the old one felt much more chilling just hearing the heartbeat and seeing her stare at something that looks like its off in the distance behind you, the projection they have now doesn't really work for me. Bring this bride back something about her yellow slits and no face just terrify me.
40c04990.jpg
I agree. With the exception of her cool phrases ("I do! And I did!") She is not creepy in the least. I also thought the ambiguity of the old bride was better. With Constance, why is she a ghost if she is the one that murdered all of her husbands? They added story where there didn't need to be any and it worked better without it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom