Haunted Mansion....3D or Not 3D

TyrantBoss

Original Poster
Every year I go to Walt Disney World. And every year the second ride I go on, after Pirates of the Caribbean, is Haunted Mansion. And I noticed a few years back that maybe Haunted Mansion could be upgraded, and bit more scary/fun (though I love it as is) if it were to incorporate some 3D effects.

Stick with me on this....

1) The portrait entry hall. When the "ghost host" says there are no windows or door...and "there is always my way" you see the hanging body at the top of the room. I always thought it would be cools if after the body is revealed that its ghost would fly down at you really jarring you into the ride with a big scare.

2) The graveyard always seems to be lacking a little something. I think it should be a full on celebration of ghosts, but more over the top. I would love to see ghosts flying across the cars over head in 3D, buzzing your buggy, moving about he graveyards, etc.
It would add so much.

A few other little 3D effects may be added (hitchhikers, etc.) but those are the two main area that could benefit the most. I'm sure Imagineers could come up with more.

Just a thought. I now wait to get scathed by some...and for the inevitable "This was posted somewhere on here some odd years ago and would be impossible to find, but you should have found it anyway and know better""

Thanks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Interesting ideas...but I'd rather not see them put to use.

Here, if you are interested in the HM and what made it so special (that blogger calls it "art" even), read this blog.

http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/

Plussing an attraction is ok...I actually prefer the new hitchhiker animations...but 3D (especially having to wear glasses) cheapens the ride, in my opinion. Instead of "wow, how did they do that" it's "digital effects", and people begin to write off the complexity (and the surprising simplicity) of many of the attractions most stunning features.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Every year I go to Walt Disney World. And every year the second ride I go on, after Pirates of the Caribbean, is Haunted Mansion. And I noticed a few years back that maybe Haunted Mansion could be upgraded, and bit more scary/fun (though I love it as is) if it were to incorporate some 3D effects.

Stick with me on this....

1) The portrait entry hall. When the "ghost host" says there are no windows or door...and "there is always my way" you see the hanging body at the top of the room. I always thought it would be cools if after the body is revealed that its ghost would fly down at you really jarring you into the ride with a big scare.

2) The graveyard always seems to be lacking a little something. I think it should be a full on celebration of ghosts, but more over the top. I would love to see ghosts flying across the cars over head in 3D, buzzing your buggy, moving about he graveyards, etc.
It would add so much.

A few other little 3D effects may be added (hitchhikers, etc.) but those are the two main area that could benefit the most. I'm sure Imagineers could come up with more.

Just a thought. I now wait to get scathed by some...and for the inevitable "This was posted somewhere on here some odd years ago and would be impossible to find, but you should have found it anyway and know better""

Thanks.
The only 3D that the Haunted Mansion needs is for YOU to film it in 3D then give us all 3D glasses so we can watch it on your YouTube channel.

TyrantBoss

Original Poster
The only 3D that the Haunted Mansion needs is for YOU to film it in 3D then give us all 3D glasses so we can watch it on your YouTube channel.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, but I do have a few nice shots from the inside, though short clips, from March 2013.

lazyboy97o

Visible spirits in the Stretching Room would ruin the tone and build up of the attraction, just like the extended queue.

There are ghosts flying around above you in the Graveyard.

Epicpilot

I actually like the most of the ideas, especially the grave yard idea. I hint that would be really really cool to have ghosts flying around. Sadly this likely isn't going to happen because there are a lot of other thing in MK that need fixing before a ride can be enhanced.

WED99

I don't agree with everyone saying 3D is overrated, I think it has so much untapped potential and can really transform an experience. However, I don't think the Haunted Mansion would work well with 3D.

DfromATX

I agree, HM is fine the way it is. I love it! But, there are other attractions that could use some changes **cough** Soarin'. To be honest, we went to Univ/IOA a few weeks ago (before WDW)... just about everything there is 3-D! While it was pretty cool with Transformers, Spiderman, etc. I don't think it belongs in all things (and that includes movies!)

Thrill

Interesting ideas...but I'd rather not see them put to use.

Here, if you are interested in the HM and what made it so special (that blogger calls it "art" even), read this blog.

http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/

Plussing an attraction is ok...I actually prefer the new hitchhiker animations...but 3D (especially having to wear glasses) cheapens the ride, in my opinion. Instead of "wow, how did they do that" it's "digital effects", and people begin to write off the complexity (and the surprising simplicity) of many of the attractions most stunning features.

This post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom