Has Magic Kingdom nighttime atmosphere ever been the same since Spectromagic Left?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
This video is 2006 and I know this has been discussed but just take notice of the surroundings and everything that’s going on before the parade. Forget the parade just think of everything around it. Just the event of a parade about to come around the corner at night made things different. It broke up lines and gave down time. This is what a night at the Magic Kingdom was like between, Jimminy Crickets voice making the announcements, cast member interaction and just the whole coarse of the nightly routine at the Magic Kingdom. It was really something else.

KaliSplash

Yes, it returned when the Main Street Electrical Parade returned.
I realize that MSEP was old and Spectro was new. But Spectro's music was a Waltz. So I was thrilled when MSEP returned and Spectro went away. I was thrilled again when MSEP came back again.
I am sad that MSEP is gone. I am even sadder that it was replaced by nothing! I would welcome Spectro just to get something going at night. I would buy annual passes again if MSEP came back.
I do realize this is a generational thing. Those who first saw MSEP (me) like it best. Those who first saw Spectro first (or came to appreciate it first, prefer Spectro.

Goofyernmost

Yes, it returned when the Main Street Electrical Parade returned.
I realize that MSEP was old and Spectro was new. But Spectro's music was a Waltz. So I was thrilled when MSEP returned and Spectro went away. I was thrilled again when MSEP came back again.
I am sad that MSEP is gone. I am even sadder that it was replaced by nothing! I would welcome Spectro just to get something going at night. I would buy annual passes again if MSEP came back.
I do realize this is a generational thing. Those who first saw MSEP (me) like it best. Those who first saw Spectro first (or came to appreciate it first, prefer Spectro.

Spectro should be rebuilt with current lighting systems and relaunched at WDW. Relatively low cost project that would be insanely popular with those who saw the original and those new to it.
Personally I hated the Spectro funeral procession. It was depressing to me. It was gloomy music with plastic faced people looking like they came directly from a horror movie. It connected with nothing that I could tell and was just depressing. Either come up with a new one that was as upbeat as the Electric Light Parade or just give us that one back. Keep Spectro buried, it was time for the funeral to be over.

Raxel7851

Spectromagic was AWESOME!!! It simply held your attention for the entire parade. The music was scored very well to every float. The MSEP was great, but I’ll tip my hat to Spectro anytime the 2 are compared. Thanks to @Lands of Wonder for sharing the video. I’m not sure if the WDW of today has the desire or energy to create something comparable to those parades.

TaoBoxer

"Forget the parade" - dems fighting words, mister! Seriously though, I agree 100%. As many times as I have seen it, Spectro never lost its Magic. Sad it's gone....but we'll always have YouTube.

harryk

Hopefully with the 'new' chief installed, she will take more interest in the guest experience and bring something like Spectro back.

castlecake2.0

It definitely added to that special nighttime feeling at the park, but I think MK would need some huge guest flow improvements before adding a night parade back. The Liberty Sqaure turn area being redesigned would help a lot.

MaryJaneP

It needs to be stated again that there cannot, and thus will not, be a new nightime parade at MK as long as the hub and main street usa are completely barricaded by guests waiting for the projection-only based fireworks show. Fantasy in the Sky and Wishes could be enjoyed park wide and did not mandate a special viewing location in front of the castle.

doctornick

I’m fine with Spectro and would happy with any light parade but would prefer something derivative of MSEP (i.e. PTN or Dreamlights) over a new Spectro. Or just something totally new, but hopefully with an upbeat score

Goofyernmost

It needs to be stated again that there cannot, and thus will not, be a new nightime parade at MK as long as the hub and main street usa are completely barricaded by guests waiting for the projection-only based fireworks show. Fantasy in the Sky and Wishes could be enjoyed park wide and did not mandate a special viewing location in front of the castle.
The crowd in front of the castle has always been there so that isn't the reason. They have the ability to rope it off just like they did since 1971. It is money but also because of the projections not because the path is filled up. With the projections and the fireworks they still have two thing for people to see at night and once the initial expense for the projection set up is paid off, which is considerably less expensive the manning and running of a parade once or twice a night. With the projections all they need is one person to push the button that starts the projector. It didn't require locating in front of the castle but that was the preferred location then and still would be.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Disneyland as it made where there’s 4 viewing locations, Magic Kingdom could easily light up other structures around the park and now with Tron they can have viewing in ever section. I wonder if these new firing locations are the start to that sometimes. They should make a nighttime parade for Hollywood Studios, they can really use it.

Last edited:

LongballMG

It's very different, and it always will be. But it's cheaper for Chapek to keep rolling out the boring old MSEP over and over again.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
It's very different, and it always will be. But it's cheaper for Chapek to keep rolling out the boring old MSEP over and over again.
They can’t even add a unit or 2, they cut out the circus
Spectromagic was AWESOME!!! It simply held your attention for the entire parade. The music was scored very well to every float. The MSEP was great, but I’ll tip my hat to Spectro anytime the 2 are compared. Thanks to @Lands of Wonder for sharing the video. I’m not sure if the WDW of today has the desire or energy to create something comparable to those parades.
It would be your generic pop soundtrack. Notice every parade soundtrack sounds almost the same or has the same beat and pattern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom