Hand and Wand to come down?

jmvd20

SSE was perfect without the dockside crane and facade next to it. It didn`t need anything else - now it`s detracted and distracting.

:lol:
Dockside crane?

If the wand is indeed a crane then is there truth to the rumor that the wand is really there to lift SSE up and place it into the underground hurricane shelters?

XS-Spence

Mr. Sklar left the office some months ago...

Yes, Marty is now the International Ambassador for Imagineering. The current person in charge of Imagineering is Tom Fitzgerald. As for his feelings on the whole situation, you can read my signature.

sittle

My 2 cents

I didn't see this thought posted, but I didn't read all twelve pages of this thread... I digress...

IMO Disney is notorious for reusing artwork, themes, characters in many different ways... when/if the wand comes down, why not remove the EPCOT branch and place the wand over at MGM with the Sorcerer's hat...

Just a random thought...

Oh, another one?? I was thinking about doing this myself, but why not start a poll thread about the wand.... maybe then everyone will know once and for all what the fans think about wand... put it to a vote...

Make mine a no!

Shaman

I didn't see this thought posted, but I didn't read all twelve pages of this thread... I digress...

IMO Disney is notorious for reusing artwork, themes, characters in many different ways... when/if the wand comes down, why not remove the EPCOT branch and place the wand over at MGM with the Sorcerer's hat...

Just a random thought...

Oh, another one?? I was thinking about doing this myself, but why not start a poll thread about the wand.... maybe then everyone will know once and for all what the fans think about wand... put it to a vote...

Make mine a no!

Good point! Never really thought of it that way. As for the poll, it has been done before.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=61156

:wave:

sittle

Thanks Shaman

You know, I searched for "Epcot Poll" and nothing came up!! Thanks for the help!! Looks like the haters are winning!!

You know I just kinda thought about moving the wand to MGM, why not, you got the big hat there, might as well put his hand there too! They could probably put a gift shop under it too!

Thanks again for the help!

celticdog

To the Wand haters:

We understand you don't like the Wand. But can you really justify spending the money to remove it? Has the wand stopped anyone from visiting? Have you heard any guest state: "I'm not going in there!! Look at that ugly old wand"? Has the presence of the wand forced any guests out of Epcot? Has the wand really ever ruined your vacation?

My answer to all questions would be: NO.

maui2k7

It likely has not stopped people from going there, but it sure does seem it would make a lot of people happy to see it gone...

ToTBellHop

It likely has not stopped people from going there, but it sure does seem it would make a lot of people happy to see it gone...
it would make a lot of people happy to see a 5th Theme Park, too, but that won't change the fact that it won't happen. It's right up there with that monorail expansion they I'm SURE will break ground next week...

I'm sure a lot of people would also be happier if it didn't cost $67/day to enter the Theme Parks. To that, however, Disney will be very happy to accomodate our needs. I'm sure they will rise the price to $70/day soon enough so that it no longer costs $67/day to enter.

Thurp

If you have a growth on your face that is just cosmetic, why not just leave it there? It's not hurting anything and it won't cost you money.

No, it's ugly, and if your face improves by removing, then you do it.

ToTBellHop

If you have a growth on your face that is just cosmetic, why not just leave it there? It's not hurting anything and it won't cost you money.

No, it's ugly, and if your face improves by removing, then you do it.
Arnold Schwartzenegger: "It is not a tumor!"

JWG

To the Wand haters:

We understand you don't like the Wand. But can you really justify spending the money to remove it? Has the wand stopped anyone from visiting? Have you heard any guest state: "I'm not going in there!! Look at that ugly old wand"? Has the presence of the wand forced any guests out of Epcot? Has the wand really ever ruined your vacation?

My answer to all questions would be: NO.

You're right in that the answer is no. My disdain arises from not only the wand but Epcot in general. I grew up going to EPCOT, and what Epcot is now, is not the vision of EPCOT. The wand is one of many things that has caused the death of the original EPCOT dream.

It going away would be a small step in trying to restore the intent of EPCOT. I am hopeful that as the park gets its next overhaul (starting with SSE), that they return to the original intent of EPCOT and Future World and really make it about the world and community of tomorrow.

Finish SSE (including want removal) and demo/fix/restore/redo WoL. Those two things would be big strides.

SDav10495

Of course the wand has not driven people away from the park. But Imagineering used to be about making the right changes regardless of whether they could be quantified or justified financially. I rarely ever invoke the name of Walt (because it is done far too often), but we all know that if he saw something so blatanly out of step with a park's vision, he'd do what he could to change it no matter the cost. A second gate at WDW didn't need to cost $1.2 billion, but the Imagineers went the extra mile (and dollar) to do what they felt needed to be done to really complete EPCOT Center. Hell, Disneyland in CA didn't need to exist in the first place--but a huge financial risk was taken to create something special, and to do it right. I'm not suggesting that WDI should be reckless with money, but were it run today the way it used to be (and not as a division whose biggest priority is the mighty dollar uber alis), I find it hard to believe they wouldn't spend the money to take down a "temporary" decoration after 8 years.

JWG

Of course the wand has not driven people away from the park. But Imagineering used to be about making the right changes regardless of whether they could be quantified or justified financially. I rarely ever invoke the name of Walt (because it is done far too often), but we all know that if he saw something so blatanly out of step with a park's vision, he'd do what he could to change it no matter the cost. A second gate at WDW didn't need to cost $1.2 billion, but the Imagineers went the extra mile (and dollar) to do what they felt needed to be done to really complete EPCOT Center. Hell, Disneyland in CA didn't need to exist in the first place--but a huge financial risk was taken to create something special, and to do it right. I'm not suggesting that WDI should be reckless with money, but were it run today the way it used to be (and not as a division whose biggest priority is the mighty dollar uber alis), I find it hard to believe they wouldn't spend the money to take down a "temporary" decoration after 8 years.

:sohappy:
Right on...

Some things are meant to be about the experience, not the bottom-line. As with all corporations, Disney has fallen hostage to the shareholder and decisions aren't made to better the guest experience or to deliver the ultimate experience, they're made to deliver a reasonable experience while spending the least amount of money.

I get it, its the way of the world now - but in deluxe vacation entertainment (and I feel WDW always strove to be "deluxe" over 6 Flags or any other amusement park) its not what you want.

Why do I travel half-way across the country for Disney when I could stop at any number of other Six Flags, Cedar Points or other amusement parks along the way? Because of the experience, the theming and the idea that you're not just going on rides, you're escaping to another place.

The wand detracts from that in that it doesn't fit the "theme" or experience meant to be had at EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom