Hand and Wand to come down?

Tim G

Yes, Marty is now the International Ambassador for Imagineering. The current person in charge of Imagineering is Tom Fitzgerald. As for his feelings on the whole situation, you can read my signature.

Very nice line...

But for the rest of your story, I'll raise the special flag... :lookaroun

Champion

:sohappy:
Right on...

Some things are meant to be about the experience, not the bottom-line. As with all corporations, Disney has fallen hostage to the shareholder and decisions aren't made to better the guest experience or to deliver the ultimate experience, they're made to deliver a reasonable experience while spending the least amount of money.

I get it, its the way of the world now - but in deluxe vacation entertainment (and I feel WDW always strove to be "deluxe" over 6 Flags or any other amusement park) its not what you want.

Why do I travel half-way across the country for Disney when I could stop at any number of other Six Flags, Cedar Points or other amusement parks along the way? Because of the experience, the theming and the idea that you're not just going on rides, you're escaping to another place.

The wand detracts from that in that it doesn't fit the "theme" or experience meant to be had at EPCOT.

I'd like to see you explain how the wand takes away from your experience, or the theme, for that matter, of Epcot. In fact, I can make an argument that because of the direction that the pavilions are going now in Future World, it would be against the theme to NOT have the wand.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't spend the money to take down a "temporary" decoration after 8 years.

Again, it wasn't temporary. Nothing about it says that it was meant to be a temporary decoration. Look at the other temporary decorations they put up (castle cake with INFLATABLE sections being #1, but also the way the decorations were put on the castle for the 50th) and then look at the wand.

SDav10495

In fact, I can make an argument that because of the direction that the pavilions are going now in Future World, it would be against the theme to NOT have the wand.

You make a somewhat valid point, and clearly that wouldn't be a terrible argument--because indeed, many Future World attractions have been overrun with sparkly Disney characters and the like. So yes, in that sense the wand fits. But I have to ask...how is that a theme? It's all just a marketing overlay. Without even getting into the argument over what the "true" theme of Future World is and whether it should stay that way, I can't find a real theme in a lot of the new additions, enjoy them though I may. The presence of Disneyana is just cute--but hardly thematic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Again, it wasn't temporary. Nothing about it says that it was meant to be a temporary decoration. Look at the other temporary decorations they put up (castle cake with INFLATABLE sections being #1, but also the way the decorations were put on the castle for the 50th) and then look at the wand.
Even if the oil-rig lookalike gantry was temporary, there`s no way it could be built less substantial than it was due to the EPCOT codes for Hurricanes. Not to mention to eliminate even a 0.001% chance the thing could ever fall on a multi million dollar building with over 600 members of the public inside at any one time.

Champion

Even if the oil-rig lookalike gantry was temporary, there`s no way it could be built less substantial than it was due to the EPCOT codes for Hurricanes. Not to mention to eliminate even a 0.001% chance the thing could ever fall on a multi million dollar building with over 600 members of the public inside at any one time.

As I said before, if it was temporary it wouldn't have been built on the scale it was. There are a lot of different options they would have chose if they only wanted it to last two years.

Champion

You make a somewhat valid point, and clearly that wouldn't be a terrible argument--because indeed, many Future World attractions have been overrun with sparkly Disney characters and the like. So yes, in that sense the wand fits. But I have to ask...how is that a theme? It's all just a marketing overlay. Without even getting into the argument over what the "true" theme of Future World is and whether it should stay that way, I can't find a real theme in a lot of the new additions, enjoy them though I may. The presence of Disneyana is just cute--but hardly thematic.

And you're to the point of saying that it shouldn't be called Future World anymore.

You're right. And I would say it probably shouldn't EVER have been called Future World.

Something with 'discovery' or the like would fit the best.

Anyway, the overlay of characters into the attractions was needed. Things like The Living Seas were never as popular as they are now, and that will only help in the long run. I'd venture to say that even the 3 cabs overlay will influence Mexico by a good margin.

No, it isn't the same theme as the original. But the original was never that great. People liked it, I get it. But it was never as successful as it is becoming now.

jmvd20

If WDW wanted a temporary decoration at Epcot I am sure that they would have come up with something other than the wand. Also there are indeed ways to reduce the bulk of the structure while maintaining any codes plus a huge safety factor. Such as not using a solid backing for the hand and other decorations, thus lessening the effect of wind on the structure. Shortening the cantilever section over SSE would significantly reduce not only the static load but also any live loads exerted by wind. These materials would not only cost less than what was used but would also reduce the size, and therefore cost of the support structure.

I do not have many doubts that WDW built that thing to stay there for a long time.

Joepic

The wand just takes away too much of Spaceship Earth, since it is a lot taller...it'll look a lot cleaner without it in my opinion. Hopefully this is true. I guess time will tell.

JWG

I'd like to see you explain how the wand takes away from your experience, or the theme, for that matter, of Epcot. In fact, I can make an argument that because of the direction that the pavilions are going now in Future World, it would be against the theme to NOT have the wand.

I'd agree it doesn't take away from the current "theme" (which I'd argue isn't a theme but just the turning of Epcot into MK South) of Epcot, but that's my point. Its just a piece of the redesign of EPCOT that started in 1996 that, I personally, feel has destroyed the original vision of EPCOT.

Call me old school, call me dated, call me "blind" to the times - I just feel EPCOT was a great vision and one that deserves a chance to shine again. I understand that by 1993 EPCOT was outdated and in bad need of a face lift, that's the problem with attractions based around "tomorrow" - "tomorrow" finally comes.

I think the backlash against the "new" Imagination that was retooled and the many (many) threads about the wand as well as the many discussions around Epcot in general speak to people's hope for change in Epcot. The simple changing of EPCOT to Epcot has sparked enough debate to show the somewhat heightened desire for the EPCOT of old.

SHORT VERSION: Wand = fine with current Epcot. My issue = I think current Epcot needs a kick-back to its original intent as EPCOT.

I think we may realize a portion of that desire, the new logos in Epcot are similar to those of 1982-1983 (reference SSE), the new exhibit area has been revitalized, and they have to sooner or later make some decisions around WoL.

Champion

I'd agree it doesn't take away from the current "theme" (which I'd argue isn't a theme but just the turning of Epcot into MK South) of Epcot, but that's my point. Its just a piece of the redesign of EPCOT that started in 1996 that, I personally, feel has destroyed the original vision of EPCOT.

Call me old school, call me dated, call me "blind" to the times - I just feel EPCOT was a great vision and one that deserves a chance to shine again. I understand that by 1993 EPCOT was outdated and in bad need of a face lift, that's the problem with attractions based around "tomorrow" - "tomorrow" finally comes.

I think the backlash against the "new" Imagination that was retooled and the many (many) threads about the wand as well as the many discussions around Epcot in general speak to people's hope for change in Epcot. The simple changing of EPCOT to Epcot has sparked enough debate to show the somewhat heightened desire for the EPCOT of old.

SHORT VERSION: Wand = fine with current Epcot. My issue = I think current Epcot needs a kick-back to its original intent as EPCOT.

I think we may realize a portion of that desire, the new logos in Epcot are similar to those of 1982-1983 (reference SSE), the new exhibit area has been revitalized, and they have to sooner or later make some decisions around WoL.

You're right in that if Disney wanted the EPCOT of the era you are referring to, the wand shouldn't be there. But they don't want that EPCOT. They want the new Epcot, with characters and magic helping to set up the edutainment of the park.

What you do not recognize, however, is that the park in the time you are referring to did not do well at all. That period of the park isn't a successful venture, why would you want it to be that park?

Yes, the original (theme park) version of EPCOT is destroyed. But I don't see where this is a bad thing.

Why do you think that AK has a 'Disney' presence very visibly around the park? They learned that they need to keep the characters and such around for the park to be successful. There are places where you don't see the characters, same as in Epcot. But look at AK's success compared to MGM. Disney keeps learning and improving, and the improving they are doing now is bringing Epcot up to what its guests like in a theme park.

Next stop, MGM.

By the way, I think the SSE refurb will basically be the last big project of this revitalization of Future World. Whatever happens with the WoL pavilion will be secondary, and it will probably sit empty for a while. Innoventions will always change, so theres nothing big going on there. But I'm viewing the reopening of SSE after completion of the refurb as the finale of the project.
Its a forgone conclusion that the post SSE refurbed Future World will be wildly more popular than it has ever been at any time in the parks life.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes, Marty is now the International Ambassador for Imagineering. The current person in charge of Imagineering is Tom Fitzgerald. As for his feelings on the whole situation, you can read my signature.

Just curious...when did Fitzgerald say that?
I've never heard that statement attributed to him.

Figment571

A thought just occurred to me. I think that the SSE update/rehab will stay true to its original intent and purpose and Disney will see how people like a new ride designed in the old EPCOT Center style and design the Wol rehab/whatever they do according to it. I think it is odd we have heard nothing about it since it has closed. It might be a testing ground to see if people outside of us hardcore Disney fans like that ride type.

Just a thought.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're right. And I would say it probably shouldn't EVER have been called Future World..
EPCOT Theme Center sounds as good an idea today as it did in 1977.
By the way, I think the SSE refurb will basically be the last big project of this revitalization of Future World..
I`d like to think it`s more of a major part of the parks third phase (phase 2 was 1994-8)

- Energy won`t be too long, though WoL will be sooner, Innoventions is being overhauled and don`t forget to use your Imagination ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom