Halloween costume just TOO scary!!!!

slappy magoo

Sorta makes me wonder which type of costumes tend to get red-flagged more - the graphically violent/bloody/gory, or the overtly sexual? I'm sure more than one woman thought that being dressed like a sexy-pirate wench, decollatage blinding men at 20 paces, was fine, as long as no blood was on 'em. ;) And I'm sure for every person dressed as a zombie, complete with half-falling-off-rotten face, saying "What? At least I'm completely dressed!" there's bound to be a woman dressed like Cruella DeVil if Cruella had to "work the pole" at Heartbreakers' or Centerfold's or Naughty Nell's saying "What, everything's covered that has to be! At least I'm not a digusting zombie!" And CMs who deal with this mutter under their breath "I love my job, I'm making magic happen, I love my job, I'm making magic happen..."

Actually, when it comes to the "inappropriateness" of costumes, it's gotta be an awkward sort of judgment call for each CM. At leas the obvious no-nos described, like no masks or dragging costumes, can be more easily enforced. But who's to determine what's too scary OR too sexy? How unfiform are those judgment calls? There must be fights every night the NSSHP goes on, especially as people being told their costumes are inappropriate see other CMs letting other guests in whose costumes are comparable.

aurora1982

Where do they draw the line when it comes to Disney characters?

The way I would see it is that parents have taught their kids that at Disney, Snow White is not a stranger and it's ok to go and hug her... But if there's someone dressed as Snow White for the party, is that allowed? It could confuse kids, especially as so much effort is made to ensure that no two Mickeys are ever seen together...

EpcotGrl

Sorta makes me wonder which type of costumes tend to get red-flagged more - the graphically violent/bloody/gory, or the overtly sexual? I'm sure more than one woman thought that being dressed like a sexy-pirate wench, decollatage blinding men at 20 paces, was fine, as long as no blood was on 'em. ;)

I was stunned by the number of sexy (and I mean "Dear God where did she find underwear to match that costume?") outfits we saw at MNSSHP last year (a trio of very...LIBERATED Princesses spring immediately to mind). Booties and boobies don't scream Disney-safe to me, but as Slappy said, at least they weren't scary! :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Where do they draw the line when it comes to Disney characters?

The way I would see it is that parents have taught their kids that at Disney, Snow White is not a stranger and it's ok to go and hug her... But if there's someone dressed as Snow White for the party, is that allowed? It could confuse kids, especially as so much effort is made to ensure that no two Mickeys are ever seen together...
After going to MNSSHP for three years as a somewhat authentic looking Disney character I can at least give you my experience with this. So far the most I have flack gotten is a manager very politely asking/warning me to not sign autographs or do anything that would allow a guest to mistake me for a cast member playing Captain Jack. This warning was given without any provocation. (ie I wasn't signing autographs when I got it) I knew the rules beforehand and had already planned to tone down my character (I cut out the voice and the mannerisms...I merely looked like Jack) as to avoid this.

Judging by my experience I would say that Disney is pretty lenient as they are with most rules. You can look exactly like Snow White you just can "be" Snow White (if that makes any sense). As long as you adhere to that Disney will look the other way.

RAXIP

From the WDW Cast Member Hub:

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
Guest Costume Guidelines

Guests are encouraged to wear costumes to enhance the event feel.

Costumes should be child-friendly and not obtrusive or offensive.

[photos:
Acceptable: funny looking man w/ streched torso and arms, shot legs; Snow White

Not-So-Acceptable: Mask of pale distorted face; Mask of face w/ missing nose and mouth, bloody mess]

Adult Guests MAY wear masks, but the masks must not obstruct vision (they need to be able to see where they are going!)
[photos:
Acceptable: Phantom of the Opera; Mesh Jack Skellington mask (the whole front can be seen through)

Not-So-Acceptable: George Bush mask (small eye holes)]

Guest that "look like" our Disney Characters should be politely informed that they may not pose for photographs or sign autographs for other Guests.
[photos: Maleficent and Tigger (face showing)]

Props that are too large or may be dangerous can be stored at Station Break.

tirian

I resemble what MasterYoda said. If you dont make a spectacle of your whip... they wont bother you. If just makes it a PAIN to get on some attractions... ie:SM

Instead of a pistol holster i substituted that original banana republic pouch (the Banana Republic that use to sell safari clothes, not metro sexual urban contemporary wear :D )

Good looking dudes!

You mean, "generic, overpriced metrosexual urban contemporary wear." ;)

Dragonrider1227

If they have policies on being scary, they must be pretty light. I saw a guy come in as a zombie with a screw through his head *kinda bloody too, even. But not a lot* and I think he got in.
No. A friend of mine went with me last year as Indy and he had a whip, granted it was a fake one and it was zip tied to his belt. If you were to walk in with a real one in hand and start cracking it I can pretty much guarantee that you will not have it for long. Here is a picture from that night and as you can see he has his whip hanging from the left side of his belt.

P1130952.jpg
AWESOME! I was planning the same thing :D

devoy1701

Went to the party yesterday...

They did not enforce the no mask rule...there were TONS of masks...adults and children alike.

Then also did not enforce the no prop weapons rule...tons of toy guns, swords, whips, and various other things...

and there were plenty of people who should have rethought their costumes and took into consideration that this is an event at Disney World! Far too many "scary" costumes and even more inappropriate adult themed/way too short/sketchy costumes.

Seriously...it's an event that's mostly catered towards kids..use your head.

RAXIP

Went to the party yesterday...

They did not enforce the no mask rule...there were TONS of masks...adults and children alike.

Then also did not enforce the no prop weapons rule...tons of toy guns, swords, whips, and various other things...

I just want to point out there is no 'no mask rule'. Masks are allowed so long as the do not obstruct you vision. There is also no ban on prop weapons, consider the fact that they sell toy guns, swords and even whips (i think) at WDW. They only ban on props that are extremely large or dangerous and pose a hazard to others (in which case they will hold them for you at the train station until the end of the night.)

Though i do agree that some people need to rethink their costumes, it is the Magic Kingdom after all.

Oh, obithecat, your broom should be fine.

Dragonrider1227

I just want to point out there is no 'no mask rule'. Masks are allowed so long as the do not obstruct you vision. There is also no ban on prop weapons, consider the fact that they sell toy guns, swords and even whips (i think) at WDW. They only ban on props that are extremely large or dangerous and pose a hazard to others (in which case they will hold them for you at the train station until the end of the night.)

Though i do agree that some people need to rethink their costumes, it is the Magic Kingdom after all.

Oh, obithecat, your broom should be fine.
I think they may ban toy weapons that look too realistic and could be mistaken for real ones. That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think they may ban toy weapons that look too realistic and could be mistaken for real ones. That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong
For the most part yes. They are not going to bug you if you are caring an obviously fake plastic sword but they will not let you in with a metal display quality sword even if it is not edged. The same holds true for firearms.

caitlinloo

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever been denied entrance for their costume being too big?

I'll be attending MNSSHP on 10/24 as Giselle, and I've got a four-bone hoop skirt I plan on wearing underneath my dress. It's relatively wide, but easily collapsable for sitting on rides and such (though I think Space Mountain is most definitely not going to happen, hah!), but after reading the restriction about costumes not being obstructive... I don't know. I know I definitely couldn't get through the turnstiles without issue. With the party only four days away I'm starting to become extremely paranoid that after all that work they're not going to let me in.

tirian

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever been denied entrance for their costume being too big?

I'll be attending MNSSHP on 10/24 as Giselle, and I've got a four-bone hoop skirt I plan on wearing underneath my dress. It's relatively wide, but easily collapsable for sitting on rides and such (though I think Space Mountain is most definitely not going to happen, hah!), but after reading the restriction about costumes not being obstructive... I don't know. I know I definitely couldn't get through the turnstiles without issue. With the party only four days away I'm starting to become extremely paranoid that after all that work they're not going to let me in.

Is it possible for you to throw the hoop in a bag and put it on after you're in the park?

This is how I got my elaborate costume in the gate. (But it wasn't a dress.) :lol:

No need to be paranoid; fitting through the turnstile isn't a requirement. If that were true, many Guests would not be allowed to enter. I've seen fat people get stuck in there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom