Hacked!!

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So, maybe this is some sort of insane blessing in disguise, because the WDW reservationist on the phone had successfully talked me into buying a more expensive package than I wanted, but........when she tried to take my card, it would not go through. I tried again. Still no.

Odd.

I asked if she would hold a second and pulled up my bank account screen. It had like a zillion $15.00 charges on it! Not me. I had been hacked. I said I would have to call back, and I then called my bank.

Sure enough, they had put a hold on my account do to possible fraudulent activity. Apparently, someone bought dozens and dozens of $15.00 gift cards at Target using my card number. I haven't been in a Target in over a year.

Great. Now I have like thirty bucks to last until Friday. And let's not forget now I can't book my resort stay. They say that they will refund the money back into my account but I have to file a claim. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know how long it takes to get your funds back?

This is so awful. I think I'm going to use cash only from this point forward. Arrrgghhhhhhhhh.

:(

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Great. Now I have like thirty bucks to last until Friday. And let's not forget now I can't book my resort stay. They say that they will refund the money back into my account but I have to file a claim. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know how long it takes to get your funds back?

This is so awful. I think I'm going to use cash only from this point forward. Arrrgghhhhhhhhh.

This is why you use a true credit card and not debit cards with credit ability. Your number was likely caught up with many other things. If you need to book your resort stay, try to open a credit card now.. you'll probably get it with at least enough for a deposit.

lazyboy97o

Availability of funds and personal liability is the big advantage of using a credit card over a debit card.

Going to cash would not necessarily have prevented this sort of thing from happening unless you also avoided ATMs. A popular way to get card numbers is skimmers, little devices that are able to get the card data as it is inserted into a legitimate card reader on something like an ATM or gas pump. It is paired with a small camera that spies on you and also records your PIN.

Hopefully your bank will return all of your funds.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Protection against loss is a lot better now, including zero loss liability for Visa debit - but what they still suck at is exactly where Buddy is right now.. *when* they restore your funds. Of course with the debit, the money is already gone.. vs credit where it's just a liability without any direct impact on your usual funds.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
So, maybe this is some sort of insane blessing in disguise, because the WDW reservationist on the phone had successfully talked me into buying a more expensive package than I wanted, but........when she trid to take my card, it would not go through. I tried again. Still no.

Odd.

I asked if she would hold a second and pulled up my bank account screen. It had like a zillion $15.00 charges on it! Not me. I had been hacked. I said I would have to call back, and I then called my bank.

Sure enough, they had put a hold on my account do to possible fraudulent activity. Apparently, someone bought dozens and dozens of $15.00 gift cards at Target using my card number. I haven't been in a Target in over a year.

Sympathy like.
That really stinks. Hope it all works out quickly for you.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
This is why you use a true credit card and not debit cards with credit ability. Your number was likely caught up with many other things. If you need to book your resort stay, try to open a credit card now.. you'll probably get it with at least enough for a deposit.
Yup, that works if you have cards that are not maxed out. Unfortunately my 20-something self was a real jerk who had a fine old time with no consideration at all to my current self. But thanks for the advice.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yup, that works if you have cards that are not maxed out. Unfortunately my 20-something self was a real jerk who had a fine old time with no consideration at all to my current self. But thanks for the advice.

worth a shot if you just need the deposit ability short term! worst that can happen is they say no :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

I haven't been in a Target in over a year.
Its not about going to Target - its about where you've used your card recently. Some petrol station you've never previously used, an unfamiliar grocery store, or a restaurant you've never previously eaten at. Or, perhaps its a regular store where there's a new member of staff ??

The answer to your problem (and for everyone else to be aware of) is to check your card statements on a regular basis.

Prior to "someone bought dozens and dozens of $15.00 gift cards at Target using my card number" that same somebody would have made a "test purchase" on your card. If that went through unnoticed then that gives them the green light to max the card out.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Buddy, that's awful your card was compromised. It's happened to me twice (different cards, both credit cards) over the past 8 years, and it made me sick. Again, these were credit cards, so the fall-out wasn't as bad as if they were debit ones, which I refuse to use by the way.

I think some of the posters above had some good tips for you, to help you through this. And I'm sure that your friends at work, etc., would be more than happy to treat you to lunch or dinner for the time being, so that you can hold on to the few dollars you have, until this gets resolved.

officialtom

I've had my Visa hacked (or whatever you want to call it) four times in the last year. Twice, people tried to use it in the southern states, and twice overseas in countries I can't even remember. One person managed to charge $15k worth of flights before Visa realized it probably wasn't me.

Thankfully, every time, they've cancelled all the charges and expedited me a new card. But, sadly, they have no idea why it keeps happening. They say some people just get targeted more than others.

alissafalco

Availability of funds and personal liability is the big advantage of using a credit card over a debit card.

Going to cash would not necessarily have prevented this sort of thing from happening unless you also avoided ATMs. A popular way to get card numbers is skimmers, little devices that are able to get the card data as it is inserted into a legitimate card reader on something like an ATM or gas pump. It is paired with a small camera that spies on you and also records your PIN.

That's why they say you should only take out $$ from your bank ATMs and do not use those little random ones in stores and gas stations. Those are the ones that are shady.

MattC

It has happened to me a couple of times. We use a Bank of America debit cards for most of our everyday purchases. BoA is pretty good about getting you a credit for the amount stolen within a business day. The credit will become permenant after they investigate and find the money was actually stolen and you are not responsible. The process for me has been simple and quick both times, but it was relatively small amounts of money. Larger amounts may take longer.

lazyboy97o

That's why they say you should only take out $$ from your bank ATMs and do not use those little random ones in stores and gas stations. Those are the ones that are shady.
Skimmers just keep getting smaller and smaller. A lot of banks have switched to translucent, oddly shaped card slots. It also doesn't hurt to give the slot a tug to make sure it's supposed to be there.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
We have had great luck with US Bank here, it seems every time a retailer is hacked that we have used our card at we get new Debit cards. As a matter of practice we paid cash (Debit card) for nearly everything for well over a decade and have only recently started using credit cards for nearly all purchases to protect our checking information.

Skimming will get more difficult later this year with the full rollout of chip-based cards but will still be a problem for the foreseeable future so keep an eye on your accounts to protect yourself.

PUSH

My parents had this happen to their card right before a Disney trip, too. They only had about $10 taken out as a "test purchase" that someone made a comment on before. They didn't do a claim or anything because it was just a small amount of money, but they had to cancel their card and get a new one. This was only a couple days before we were leaving for Florida, and the card was supposed to be here in around 10 business days, so they had to use my brother's card for everything down there then pay him back when they got their card. It's sad how some people will do these things.

lazyboy97o

Skimming will get more difficult later this year with the full rollout of chip-based cards but will still be a problem for the foreseeable future so keep an eye on your accounts to protect yourself.
It is a shame though that for those of us who already have a chip card that some retailers, like Target, physically block or other prevent use of the chip readers built into the terminals they already use.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It is a shame though that for those of us who already have a chip card that some retailers, like Target, physically block or other prevent use of the chip readers built into the terminals they already use.

True but my understanding is that after October this year they will be assuming liability if they refuse to use it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Canada has had chip cards and readers for years.
At this point, the only major retailer that still "swipes" is Lowes, and they are finally converting this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom