Hacked!!

lazyboy97o

Canada has had chip cards and readers for years.
At this point, the only major retailer that still "swipes" is Lowes, and they are finally converting this year.
Pretty much everywhere else in the world has had them for years. The cynic in me also would not be surprised if sometime near the end of the summer there is an extension because "small" businesses are not ready for they switch.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, gang.

Just to put closure on this, here is what happened. I went to my bank and the rep I spoke to said I was the third person that day ge had dealt with on this issue. He said it is getting worse every week.

Whoever did this successfully yanked $590.00 out of my account before they caught it. They are going to restore the funds in 2 - 10 business days.

The frustrating thing is that he could not tell me anything about where or how this happened. He said the easiest ways for criminals to hack into your account are:

1. Gas stations where you swipe your card (I don't drive - NYC)
2. Transactions done over unsecured wifi on mobile devices (I've never done this.)
3. And this one I don't get -- Transactions done using Internet Explorer. That's what I use but I have a security system, so I'm not sure why Explorer would be less secure.

Anyway, bottom line is it is getting scary out there and I am seriously only going to use cash going forward.

Sheesh.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm glad to hear that you'll get all your money back, but I also hope you don't have to wait 10 days for it. Perhaps you'll have it sooner.

As for your point # 3, my knowledge of computers and the internet is limited. However, what I can share with you is that last year, the tech people where I work, told all of us to stop using Internet Explorer. (And that was even with security programs, firewalls, etc. on the machines.) They gave us Firefox and we use Google, too.

Lastly, I pay cash for many items now, but in today's world, I still have to use a credit card for certain things (hotel reservations, etc.). What I try to do now is limit how often I reach for a card, and hopefully, that will lower my chances of having some thief steal the information.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks for all the responses, gang.

Just to put closure on this, here is what happened. I went to my bank and the rep I spoke to said I was the third person that day ge had dealt with on this issue. He said it is getting worse every week.

Whoever did this successfully yanked $590.00 out of my account before they caught it. They are going to restore the funds in 2 - 10 business days.

The frustrating thing is that he could not tell me anything about where or how this happened. He said the easiest ways for criminals to hack into your account are:

1. Gas stations where you swipe your card (I don't drive - NYC)
2. Transactions done over unsecured wifi on mobile devices (I've never done this.)
3. And this one I don't get -- Transactions done using Internet Explorer. That's what I use but I have a security system, so I'm not sure why Explorer would be less secure.

Anyway, bottom line is it is getting scary out there and I am seriously only going to use cash going forward.

Sheesh.
IE is infamous for having security holes riddled throughout it.

Use Firefox.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pretty much everywhere else in the world has had them for years. The cynic in me also would not be surprised if sometime near the end of the summer there is an extension because "small" businesses are not ready for they switch.

In today's news that the Oct date will just mean more of the same...

I got my new Bank of America cards in today... they are chip enabled! But they are Chip+sign!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Freaking stupid still... instead of chip+pin where everyone else already migrated to ages ago... we take a babystep into an already dead solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom