Guests Injured by Falling Lamp Post

lazyboy97o

Perhaps these inner posts simply exhausted their normal lifespan?

Were the post galvanized I wonder?

That said, should the base have been removed and inspected periodically?

I am not judging either way. Just general curiosity.
Putting something in a corrosive environment is not part of its normal lifespan.

Galvanized metals are typically not painted or coated as it is a very specific process that needs to be done with great care. Galvanized metals can still rust and when placed in soil a variety of factors regarding that soil can impact performance. It’s also not the only means of protecting a metal from corrosion.

Simply separating the pole from the soil with a concrete base as is often done should provide sufficient. There’s really no need to come up with some new way to do something that already works rather well.

Disstevefan1

Putting something in a corrosive environment is not part of its normal lifespan.

Galvanized metals are typically not painted or coated as it is a very specific process that needs to be done with great care. Galvanized metals can still rust and when placed in soil a variety of factors regarding that soil can impact performance. It’s also not the only means of protecting a metal from corrosion.

Simply separating the pole from the soil with a concrete base as is often done should provide sufficient. There’s really no need to come up with some new way to do something that already works rather well.
I wonder how they sunk these posts?

Vegas Disney Fan

I can’t tell from the photo if it had a concrete base or not. It’s possible it was installed properly and over the decades the grade of the soil and landscaping rose around it.

Either way Disney probably should have caught this before it got to this point, as a homeowner I sympathize with them though, even with regular maintenance issues often go unnoticed until they actually fail.

lazyboy97o

I can’t tell from the photo if it had a concrete base or not. It’s possible it was installed properly and over the decades the grade of the soil and landscaping rose around it.

Either way Disney probably should have caught this before it got to this point, as a homeowner I sympathize with them though, even with regular maintenance issues often go unnoticed until they actually fail.
It almost certainly has a concrete foundation. The reason I lean away just from the gras building up over the years is because in the photos the soil that was under the base cover seems to be at relatively the same level as the grass. The top of the concrete needs to be up higher, maybe even as high as the nearby curb.

My assumption, which is admittedly a good bit of a hunch, is that the base of the foundation was sunk lower for aesthetic reasons. Not having a visible concrete base is a pretty look.

mickEblu

At least that grass is real.

LOL. I mean not to make light of a serious situation (pun intended) but had I been hit by that light pole and struck to the ground I would be comforted by knowing that at least I’m dying next to real grass. Then in my last breath I would tell my family not to sue but instead to make an agreement that all real grass must return to Disneyland until the end of its existence.

And then if the Lord was so good to give me one more breath I would have my family negotiate Splash Mountains return.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I was watching Micechats live today, and it seemed quite windy in the parks.

I have to wonder if all the unusual wetness for California is causing the ground to soften and or develop weaknesses not previously present? And with the wind it’s knocking these over like a tree gets pulled up by the roots?

It’s an old park, and there has been a lot of stormy weather lately.

celluloid

Universal Studios Hollywood is old too.

There have been fires and things catastrophic...

but it does not seem to be at DL's frequency falling apart in guest areas.

ProjectXBlog

Universal Studios Hollywood is old too.

There have been fires and things catastrophic...

but it does not seem to be at DL's frequency falling apart in guest areas.
That’s not really an apt comparison. Universal Hollywood as we know it hasn’t been around for very long, as they tend to do fresh builds for a lot of their guest-facing experiences (with the exception of The Simpsons Ride). I do think it’s weird that Disney didn’t go further to prevent a repeat of the lamppost issue. Other than November, when’s the last time something like this fell?

celluloid

That’s not really an apt comparison. Universal Hollywood as we know it hasn’t been around for very long, as they tend to do fresh builds for a lot of their guest-facing experiences (with the exception of The Simpsons Ride). I do think it’s weird that Disney didn’t go further to prevent a repeat of the lamppost issue. Other than November, when’s the last time something like this fell?

You mean they update and bring things up to code?

And you ask when the last time was, and then point out how it just happened last year, injuring guests. I think that speaks for itself.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I was watching Micechats live today, and it seemed quite windy in the parks.

I have to wonder if all the unusual wetness for California is causing the ground to soften and or develop weaknesses not previously present? And with the wind it’s knocking these over like a tree gets pulled up by the roots?

It’s an old park, and there has been a lot of stormy weather lately.
The previous pole had signs of corrosion.

The poles are also installed into a concrete base, so the ground being wet doesn’t really make a lot of sense. The pole foundations should be deeper than they are wide. The ground would have to be soup.

celluloid

Thank goodness it didn’t hit anyone. And thank Goodness that planter has real plants. It would really add insult to injury to die with your face right next to some astroturf.

Maybe just end up paralyzed and incapacitated in something irritating to your skin.

More trees in a hub area may have caught the fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom