Guests Injured by Falling Lamp Post

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wouldn’t be too worried about paint. It usually doesn’t do well to conceal damage, particularly water damage. In this case the damage was concealed by the base cover.

This looks to be rooted in a poor installation. In the photos the concrete base for the pole is not readily visible and instead it looks as though there is a layer of soil. You’d typically want the concrete base to sit above the soil so that you have separation between the moist ground and the metal pole. This is even more so in a planter because you have irrigation making the ground wet on a regular basis. There’s also a second area of significant corrosion above the grade plane where the failure occurred, possibly as a result of trapped moisture condensing under the base cover.

So the question is was this a one off or a typical condition?

If they start replacing several lampposts I guess we'll know (unless they replace them overnight)

Squishy

We were in the park on Monday and we saw the lightpost after it had fallen and I’m still undecided if I think it was a maintenance issue or if it was just an unavoidable accident. From what we could see the post itself was clean, painted, no visible rust, etc. It looked to be in good shape, as often as they paint any rust or damage would have likely been on the inside where it would be impossible to see.

The scary thought is the park is nearly 70 years old, there’s probably lots of things that are decaying and rusting on the inside that look perfect on the outside since they paint so often.
Maintenance issue, they let it rust to death
1701107308583.png

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's amazing nobody read the article, because it says high winds are the cause of why the lamp post fell to begin with. It doesnt matter if it's a new post or an old one, if the winds are too strong, it's going to knock it over.

lazyboy97o

It's amazing nobody read the article, because it says high winds are the cause of why the lamp post fell to begin with. It doesnt matter if it's a new post or an old one, if the winds are too strong, it's going to knock it over.
While strong winds do cause damage, the photos clearly show significant corrosion at the base of the pole where it was anchored into the ground. That the structure of the pole was so corroded absolutely does matter because the structure was likely compromised so the amount of wind required to cause failure was less than the pole had been designed to withstand.

Disstevefan1

Maintenance issue, they let it rust to death
View attachment 756323
There is no excuse for this, but it would be interesting to understand how this would be inspected other than just giving the post a push to see it its solid?

Looks like the inner post that actually provides the support is inside the decorative outer post and it appears water was allowed to get inside and rust the inner post.

I would think these outer decorative post should be inspected and resealed as needed to ensure no water is getting inside.

Maybe there should be a inspection hole that can be covered with a decorative and water tight cover.

Phroobar

There is no excuse for this, but it would be interesting to understand how this would be inspected other than just giving the post a push to see it its solid?

Looks like the inner post that actually provides the support is inside the decorative outer post and it appears water was allowed to get inside and rust the inner post.

I would think these outer decorative post should be inspected and resealed as needed to ensure no water is getting inside.

Maybe there should be a inspection hole that can be covered with a decorative and water tight cover.
Just like cities have a crew that pulls up light posts to check to see if they are rusted.
iu

Lilofan

Inspect when and then fix ? Is there enough staffing to accomplish this? Surely not during operating hours so the option of getting rid of the poles is the answer.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Inspect when and then fix ? Surely not during operating hours so the option of getting rid of the poles is the answer.
In the old days in Disneyland there used to be night shifts to inspect, paint and fix stuff. Anyway I was just wondering how these could ever be inspected in the first place just out of curiosity.

Yes, removal is the easy/quick and could be considered a cost savings in the long run.

My next question would be that these post were there to support lighting. They no longer need lighting in the areas? Will the post be replaced with ones that can be inspected, or can be replaced, or will not rust over time?

My post are out of curiosity, that's all.

lazyboy97o

Maybe there should be an inspection hole that can be covered with a decorative and water tight cover.
The base can generally be moved so that work can be performed. That’s how they would wire in new fixtures on the pole.

Sealant isn’t going to do any good on the ground.

Disstevefan1

The base can generally be moved so that work can be performed. That’s how they would wire in new fixtures on the pole.

Sealant isn’t going to do any good on the ground.
Perhaps these inner posts simply exhausted their normal lifespan?

Were the post galvanized I wonder?

That said, should the base have been removed and inspected periodically?

I am not judging either way. Just general curiosity.

Vegas Disney Fan

We were at the park that day, the winds were gusting to about 30mph, the winds were the final straw but the rust was the cause.

There’s not a pole in the world that isn’t designed to survive 30mph gusts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom