Guests Injured by Falling Lamp Post

mickEblu

There’s only a few at DL that don’t - DL has some really lovely landscaping that is much more elaborate than I see at wdw

Half of the Town Square and the two large planters on the left side of the hub next to Jolly Holiday. The Mickey planter, HM lawn when it still existed and the Storybookland turf (not on the ride itself). Funny that the Storybookland turf was test that apparently the test that nobody noticed but it’s also by far the best excruciated and best quality. The HM lawn was awful. The Mickey planter is pretty bad too.

ProjectXBlog

You mean they update and bring things up to code?

And you ask when the last time was, and then point out how it just happened last year, injuring guests. I think that speaks for itself.
My point was that Universal is not worth comparing in this situation. I asked about the last time pre-November because I was curious. Not sure why your tone is so condescending.

celluloid

My point was that Universal is not worth comparing in this situation. I asked about the last time pre-November because I was curious. Not sure why your tone is so condescending.

Sorry for the tone.

Why do you think Universal is not comparable?

Shouldn't theme park guest areas be safe regardless of age of structure or utility?

Disneyland has certainly their examples of guest death due to neglect of safety protocol and neglect.

Condescending probably came off because this same kind of incident happened less than a year ago, and that is enough to show not enough care was given to the situation.

As far as neglect causing injury and death, It happened last with this sort of frequency in the Pressler era and things seem to be going that way in frequency again.

ProjectXBlog

Sorry for the tone.

Why do you think Universal is not comparable?

Shouldn't theme park guest areas be safe regardless of age of structure or utility?

Disneyland has certainly their examples of guest death due to neglect of safety protocol and neglect.

Condescending probably came off because this same kind of incident happened less than a year ago, and that is enough to show not enough care was given to the situation.

As far as neglect causing injury and death, It happened last with this sort of frequency in the Pressler era and things seem to be going that way in frequency again.
I appreciate that, it’s all good. A few years ago, I did a photo project where I collected loads of old photos of DLR and took new ones from the same/close perspective to see how much they’ve preserved over the decades and the results were pretty cool. I tried last year to do the same thing at Universal Hollywood and could barely match anything up. This is because when Universal wants something new, they tend to completely demolish and rebuild (with the exception of Simpsons and the Panasonic Theater where Kung-Fu Panda plays, to name very very few). I don’t know why exactly this is — maybe by the time Universal expanded the park beyond just the team tour (early 90s) Disneyland was already 40 years old, so Disney possibly felt a sense of importance in preserving what was there. My point is, comparing the two is tricky because so much of Disneyland — especially these elements on Main Street that have been causing trouble — is so much older and therefore hasn’t had the benefit that Universal’s had. But this is all just semantics; I absolutely agree with you, it should be safe regardless of age. After this happened in November I don’t know why there wasn’t an initiative to ensure every lamppost, speaker, etc. was safe. It’s inexcusable.

celluloid

I appreciate that, it’s all good. A few years ago, I did a photo project where I collected loads of old photos of DLR and took new ones from the same/close perspective to see how much they’ve preserved over the decades and the results were pretty cool. I tried last year to do the same thing at Universal Hollywood and could barely match anything up. This is because when Universal wants something new, they tend to completely demolish and rebuild (with the exception of Simpsons and the Panasonic Theater where Kung-Fu Panda plays, to name very very few). I don’t know why exactly this is — maybe by the time Universal expanded the park beyond just the team tour (early 90s) Disneyland was already 40 years old, so Disney possibly felt a sense of importance in preserving what was there. My point is, comparing the two is tricky because so much of Disneyland — especially these elements on Main Street that have been causing trouble — is so much older and therefore hasn’t had the benefit that Universal’s had. But this is all just semantics; I absolutely agree with you, it should be safe regardless of age. After this happened in November I don’t know why there wasn’t an initiative to ensure every lamppost, speaker, etc. was safe. It’s inexcusable.

I can answer the question. The tourist aspect of Universal Studios goes back older than Disney. However, yes after the Tram Studio Tour and the success of Universal Studios Florida, the concept of a theme park full day grew stronger. It is because the simple fact that California's attraction started as a tour that become a theme park vs Disneyland was always a theme park.
So Universal's expansion on land was just that.

I see you keep mentioning the Simpsons building(formerly the Back to the Future The Ride Building) but there are for sure buildings older than those two places you mentioned on property that date pretty far back. Some in the park, redressed but bones the same, some on the tour such as Earthquake, The Big One, which was just refurbished and others not always open to the day guests but many open and safe for guests to proceed around and through. Halloween Horror Nights is a great example of this.

old is however, and I guess was my point, is never an excuse for being unsafe.

ProjectXBlog

I can answer the question. The tourist aspect of Universal Studios goes back older than Disney. However, yes after the Tram Studio Tour and the success of Universal Studios Florida, the concept of a theme park full day grew stronger. It is because the simple fact that California's attraction started as a tour that become a theme park vs Disneyland was always a theme park.
So Universal's expansion on land was just that.

I see you keep mentioning the Simpsons building(formerly the Back to the Future The Ride Building) but there are for sure buildings older than those two places you mentioned on property that date pretty far back. Some in the park, redressed but bones the same, some on the tour such as Earthquake, The Big One, which was just refurbished and others not always open to the day guests but many open and safe for guests to proceed around and through. Halloween Horror Nights is a great example of this.

old is however, and I guess was my point, is never an excuse for being unsafe.
Yep! Definitely stuff on the tour, but I was talking specifically about the theme park section that came about later. Either way, I agree. Someone can get seriously hurt and it seems like the warning signs are all being ignored. Hopefully they’ll take this seriously with all the new talk about investing in the parks, but with their lack of care these last few years I’ll believe it when I see it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disneyland officials say the resort has begun replacing lamp posts throughout the theme park as a precautionary measure - story via the Orange County Register.

"Disneyland has begun removing and replacing lamp posts throughout the Anaheim theme park as a precautionary measure after high winds in November toppled a Town Square lamp post that left several visitors injured.

Disneyland has removed and is replacing lamp posts near the Jolly Holiday and Rancho del Zocalo restaurants and Pirates of the Caribbean attraction as a precaution.

Disneyland routinely inspects, maintains and replaces lamp poles as part of ongoing maintenance, according to Disneyland officials.

Disneyland is replacing a small percentage of the lamp poles throughout the resort as a precaution, according to Disneyland officials.

Disneyland has removed at least 10 lamp posts near Jolly Holiday, Rancho del Zocalo and Pirates of the Caribbean and replaced them with wooden boxes covering their bases, according to MiceChat.

“Unfortunately, the boxes are awkwardly sized and a potential tripping hazard — especially in Rancho,” according to MiceChat. “A low, neutral-colored box on the ground in an area where people are carrying trays and scanning for open tables. What could possibly go wrong?”

Three Disneyland visitors were injured in November when a Town Square lamp post fell during high winds gusting to 60 mph and toppled onto a walkway near the park entrance.

The lamp post in a flower bed around the Disneyland flag pole was used for stage lighting for parades and shows along Main Street USA. Disneyland crews removed the fallen lamp post and added tie-down cables to similar lampposts in Town Square and the Sleeping Beauty Castle hub."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom