Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Professortango1

So far every article or review from media and people that have seen Pandora both during the day and. IGHt are extremely positive. Some reports are coming back with media saying that they have walked out of the attractions with tears of joy of how emotionally realist the experience is.

Seems like Disney has huge hits on their hand also with extremely positive reviews coming from news media that were even critical about the decision to close twilight tower and praising Guardians breakout

Press/preview reviews are inherently biased. Even DCA and Finding Nemo Subs got praised when they opened. The posts on the Pandora forum tell a much more balanced story. Gorgeous, but not a slam dunk/game changer like Potter was when it opened.

The_Bellringer

The reveal of the tower and pyro were impressive. Love the host, she was charming and funny. James Gunn seemed genuinely excited, and we have confirmation from Chapek (who appeared to be really uncomfortable speaking) that more Marvel is coming to DCA. All in all a nice kickoff for Mission Breakout.
Yes I loved the host, she was great. And the colllector appearing was fun.

Also LOL and chappy. He was a biiiit stiff. Them corporate types I guess. You could almost see him thinking hard: "pause for clapping then continue."

Hatbox Ghostbuster

For the discerning taste...these were on hand tonight.
image.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, both SWL's will be the same, however there was a C ticket which was cut because WDW wanted to keep costs down. Hence what I said about SWL being scaled back due to WDW.

TSL will have a kiddie coaster and a spinner. I can't imagine anyone is excited for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Gadget's Go Coaster. The proposal makes A Bugs Land look interesting.

I haven't seen anyone glowing over Navi River Journey. Most agree its pretty good or okay. Worth about a 20 minute wait.

And Harry Potter taught us the power if shops as far as world building.

If you're looking to Harry Potter for a lesson, then you should love a new land that only has two rides, or just one new ride and two lightly rethemed existing rides.

Professortango1

If you're looking to Harry Potter for a lesson, then you should love a new land that only has two rides, or just one new ride and two lightly rethemed existing rides.

Goes to show how much immersive theming matters outside of attractions. I spent half a day in Daigon Alley and that only has 1 ride. And I'm not a huge Potterhead. Disney has yet to match Potter. Pandora tries and comes close, but it needs a little more to see and do. I'm rooting for Star Wars Land to be a game changer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Goes to show how much immersive theming matters outside of attractions. I spent half a day in Daigon Alley and that only has 1 ride. And I'm not a huge Potterhead. Disney has yet to match Potter. Pandora tries and comes close, but it needs a little more to see and do. I'm rooting for Star Wars Land to be a game changer.

You miss the point: You dinged WDW for not having a third ride (those cheapskates <shakes fist>). You hold Potter up as the standard bearer. Potter did not provide 3 new rides for either land. So... Universal was being cheap, too?

Professortango1

You miss the point: You dinged WDW for not having a third ride (those cheapskates <shakes fist>). You hold Potter up as the standard bearer. Potter did not provide 3 new rides for either land. So... Universal was being cheap, too?

I dinged Pandora for not having enough experiences. I dinged WDW because they didn't want to help pay for a C ticket which would create a more immersive experience. The new theme park land needs things to see and do. Cutting an enviormental ride due to wanting to keep budgets down is sadly typical for WDW.

TP2000

Original Poster

Here's the opening ceremony.

Thank you. That looked like a fun ceremony with some star power. The drone shots of the fireworks were cool. And I'm glad Bob Chapek put on a Disneyland nametag and wore a suit coat for this, unlike Bob Iger in no nametag and open shirt collar without a jacket for Pandora's grand opening a couple days ago. (That's the cue for @Curious Constance to tell us how great Iger looked anyway.)

Here's Bob's words he read off his TelePrompter about Marvel expansion for DCA...

"But it's [Mission: Breakout!] just the beginning of what will become an even bigger superhero presence at Disney's California Adventure. And with the strong partnership between Marvel and Walt Disney Imagineering, we're very excited of what's to come. And it is sure to please Marvel fans hungry for more magic at Disney parks."

Yup. Marvel Land is on the way to DCA. I imagine they'll pretend it's the BIG SURPRISE! across the street at D23 Expo in 45 days. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 107043

unlike Bob Iger in no nametag and open shirt collar without a jacket for Pandora's grand opening a couple days ago.

Bob I. worked it though, and in fairness the Pandora opening was in hot humid central Florida during the day (it's been in the high 90s down there all week) in contrast to MB's opening, which was in the evening in Anaheim where the nighttime lows have been in the low 60s. Also, I'm pretty sure that Bob C. couldn't pull off that look with as much flair as Mr. Iger. ;)

TP2000

Original Poster
Bob I. worked it though, and in fairness the Pandora opening was in hot humid central Florida during the day (it's been in the high 90s down there all week) in contrast to MB's opening, which was in the evening in Anaheim where the nighttime lows have been in the low 60s. Also, I'm pretty sure that Bob C. couldn't pull off that look with as much flair as Mr. Iger. ;)

I see where you are going here, I'm not stupid. You're almost as bad as @Curious Constance.

SuddenStorm

Wow! Y'all have been busy today.

The new ride looks pretty darn good on the inside. For a glorified drop ride, they sure do a good job of "dressing it up".

I hate this new trend of only needing one or two good animatronics per ride- It would have been cool if they found ways to incorporate a lot more new animatronics.

The Harold easter egg is neat- but I'm not sure how I feel about his final resting place being in a Marvel ride in DCA. As Doctor Jones would say- he belongs in a museum!

TP2000

Original Poster
Wow! Y'all have been busy today.

The new ride looks pretty darn good on the inside. For a glorified drop ride, they sure do a good job of "dressing it up".

I hate this new trend of only needing one or two good animatronics per ride- It would have been cool if they found ways to incorporate a lot more new animatronics.

The Harold easter egg is neat- but I'm not sure how I feel about his final resting place being in a Marvel ride in DCA. As Doctor Jones would say- he belongs in a museum!

As a fan of the big 1960's and 70's musical attractions like America Sings that featured dozens of Audio-Animatronics, I get what you are saying.

But the gimmick of a talking robot is not as big today as it was in 1965 or 1970. And think how far we've come in the last 15 years when rides weren't being built with Animatronics at all, and now in 2017 they just added two very sophisticated Animatronics into a ride that never had them before.

And a video screen of Rocket would have been cheaper and easier to do anyway in these two pre-show rooms, but they went with an incredibly sophisticated figure instead.

As for the original Harold, there were three of them. One on each side of track, and a third one in the middle where the two tracks met. The same setup is in place for the new Harold, too. That means there are actually two more old Harolds sitting around somewhere.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's a video of the exterior Standby queue for the ride. The same physical setup as Tower of Terror, but now just very different looking. With a giant gold statue of Tivan at the entry doors! Cool drone shot to start this video too.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's a new on-ride video, this on set to We Want The Funk by Parliament. There are different scenes in this one.

spacemt354

Chili's
Floating paper mache eyeballs, windows changing to black and white window from the opening credits, E=MC2 floating via visible line...that's camp. Cheese. Corn. Fun, and jt fits the original story pf going intinto an episode of an old TV show. The DCA version cut that line as it was convoluted as to why a hotel would send us into an old TV show mixed with a haunted hotel story. With DCA's, what you were witnesses was meant to be real.

The imagineers have talked about this and about going cheap in the 5th Dimension Room because nobody would care about what they saw once the elevator moved forward. And they were right...until I rode it again. You don't have to agree,I'm just referencing what the folks who built it said.
The Munsters would be an example of an old campy TV show, injecting humor and fun into what could be a more serious show. The Twilight Zone is not comical, nor intended to be 'fun', and those theatrical elements you listed are not campy, but rather inject vibes of fear, paranoia, and suspense. It is why The Twilight Zone fit so naturally with the haunted hotel story-line. Nothing convoluted about it at all in my opinion.

You're free and welcome to your own opinions about which version was better, but I just wanted to address your incorrect usage of the word 'campy'.

c-one

DCA Tower just got off to such a bad start for me. The boiler room was probably even better but then you get to the elevator doors and then they open to... an empty hallway with a second set of elevator doors. Those open to your cabin but then that retreats even further, to a THIRD SET of elevator doors. And then the actual elevator ride started. It was so weird and not in a good way.

The Guardians ride seems like it makes a better use of this particular layout -- I don't know what a gantry lift is really supposed to describe but if it's not a hotel elevator, the doors thing bothers me less. No saving that dumb exit hallway, though.

TheOrangeBird01

For people saying they are a little disappointed in Pandora, I refer you over to tge Pandora forums on this site. For which version is better, many have come forward to express they prefer DCA's. I wasn't saying campier as a negative, just a fact. The references to going inside tge actual TV show, the campy imagery from the show appearing in the ride. The footage at the end with the vortex. Its closer to the spurce material and campier. That's just a fact. Some prefer the scary version, others prefer the campy version. No judgement.

I know whenever I ride Florida's, the hallway scene always ends with mocking laughter due to the camp whereas DCA's end with a scream. But, there are Rob Schneider fans out there, so I get people liking the original no matter what. Nostalgia is mighty powerful too. Alien Encounter is still the best attraction ever because of my personal nostalgia for it. If it was still around, I'm sure many would find it clunky.

You do pose an interesting challenge as the Florida Tower is slower paced until tge car moves into the drop shaft. Only time will tell. I didn't think they could make it work in DCA'S limited showbuilding, and while I'm not impressed by the ride they presented, it does work on some level.

Floating paper mache eyeballs, windows changing to black and white window from the opening credits, E=MC2 floating via visible line...that's camp. Cheese. Corn. Fun, and jt fits the original story pf going intinto an episode of an old TV show. The DCA version cut that line as it was convoluted as to why a hotel would send us into an old TV show mixed with a haunted hotel story. With DCA's, what you were witnesses was meant to be real.

The imagineers have talked about this and about going cheap in the 5th Dimension Room because nobody would care about what they saw once the elevator moved forward. And they were right...until I rode it again. You don't have to agree,I'm just referencing what the folks who built it said.

I think you're mixing up the meaning of fact and opinion. It's not a fact that the WDW tower is "campy" that's an opinion. Both rides took you into the Twilight Zone, but the WDW version does make it more apparent that you're part of the episode. The ride immerses you into this world, slowly building up the creepiness and mystery of the Twilight Zone, climaxing with the 5th Dimension Room. Eerily your elevator moves forward and you hear the haunting narration from Rod Serling. Then you drop.

Ending the ride in a different area like the WDW version works to the rides advantage IMO. It helps prove that you were not on an ordinary elevator, you really did leave the hotel, and the Twilight Zone is "real". You see some artifacts from the show to pay homage to the source material and then you're finished.

It is 100% a fact that the DCA tower was built on the cheap in order to get a well known attraction into a dying park. Some of the changes worked, some hurt the experience a little. Generally, people prefer the tower at WDW over the one at DCA. That's a well known opinion, and if your party of riders feels differently that's ok! Just please don't discredit things just to make your argument that DCA's tower was better stronger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom