gps watch

pixeemom

Original Poster
ok everyone, hat GPS running watch do you use? and opinions and thoughts do you have on a good GPS watch that will NOT break the bank...
I am NOT looking for a fancy shmancy one just looking for a basic one that will tell me miles, pace, average pace and do intervals
calories i am not too interested in but if it does it fine....
biggrin.gif

TIA Danielle

Ariel484

I have a Garmin Forerunner 220...does all the things you listed above, but pricey (and worth every penny): https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-220/prod129397.html

There are cheaper Garmins but cheaper means they don't has as many features (for example, some have current pace but not overall average pace, and vice versa). I think the 220 is the he's pest option that does intervals. Check out DC Rainmakerms website for very thorough reviews: http://www.dcrainmaker.com

If you have a smartphone you could try an app as well. My husband uses RunKeeper and likes it.

dreamfinder

To a point you get what you pay for. You may even be able to get away with a Nike+ or FitBit type of device. If you properly calibrate those you can get your miles/pacing fairly accurately. They tend to be alot cheaper than a full on GPS watch. And as @Ariel484 said, you can use smartphone apps as well. If your training runs are say an hour or less, the smartphone apps should be fine. You may get longer performance than that, but I wouldn't suggest using them for marathon training unless you use a battery extender.

I still use my Garmin 405, which has been holding surprisingly well for the fact its going on 6+ years of use. (Admittedly during the winter it tends to sit dormant unless I'm running races)

Kermit262

I'm with Ariel484 - I have the Garmin Forerunner 220 and love it. Used it yesterday for a 10 miler race, and the Live Tracking feature blew me away. It was my first time using this feature (which allows people of your choosing to watch your progress on the web) so I didn't know how well it would work, if at all. I can tell you it was almost surreal at the 5 mile marker to get a text from my wife saying, "You're halfway there - keep it up!" And then at the 7 mile marker another text to tell me my pace was dropping (I didn't really need to see that one - lol). It's like I was running with a coach! And then a few minutes after the race she called to congratulate me, knowing (because of Live Tracking) that I had finished. I'm really impressed with this feature. I plan to use it during the Dopey, which will be invaluable to her in picking spots to watch me along the course.

It's true, the 220 costs more than other watches but it's worth it. Garmin also makes a Forerunner 10 that's half as much, with no bells or whistles. (I've only used Garmin devices so can't speak to the Tom Tom's, Nikes, Timex's, etc, but I imagine they are good too.)

JillC LI

Garmin 220 here too. Had a funky battery issue recently but otherwise it's been great. I'm a technophobe but even I've figured out how to do a few of the fancy things it does, and I really like it.

Ariel484

Garmin also makes a Forerunner 10 that's half as much, with no bells or whistles. (I've only used Garmin devices so can't speak to the Tom Tom's, Nikes, Timex's, etc, but I imagine they are good too.)
I was going to recommend the FR10 or the FR15 but I don't think either of those do intervals, something the OP said she wants. :(

Kermit262

I was going to recommend the FR10 or the FR15 but I don't think either of those do intervals, something the OP said she wants. :(

Oh, I see that now.

Danielle, the Forerunner 210 is the older model to the 220 but is still sold. It provides interval training and is now sold at a discount. That may be a possibility.

fruitfruit

Is the Forerunner really big? It looks gigantic on that woman's wrist on the website!!
I am not a watch person - is it annoying to wear it or is it something you just get used to?

Kermit262

Is the Forerunner really big? It looks gigantic on that woman's wrist on the website!!
I am not a watch person - is it annoying to wear it or is it something you just get used to?
I wear mine all the time as a watch and think the size is fine, but I'm a guy. I can tell you that my female friend also uses a 220 and she also thinks the size is acceptable. Doesn't bother her a bit.

LindsayLoves

@pixeemom The Garmin FR 10 does that have the capability to do set intervals, they call it run/walk. (I saw a youtube video of a it a while back while looking up info on my own Garmin)

I am not a watch person either and have really small wrists so basically every GPS watch out there is massive on me. I have the Garmin FR410 which I love because it came with a small sized cloth band that I could swap out for the hard plastic band so it fits very snugly on my wrist (but does require the occasional washing from time to time).

Ariel484

@pixeemom The Garmin FR 10 does that have the capability to do set intervals, they call it run/walk. (I saw a youtube video of a it a while back while looking up info on my own Garmin)
Gahhhh! You're right!!

In that case @pixeemom I would definitely recommend the Garmin Forerunner 10. Check out this in-depth review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html

It's $129.99.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090C7A3O?pc_redir=1407052920&robot_redir=1

Ariel484

Which one? Some of the older models are pretty huge. I have the 220 and I think it's pretty comfortable - thin and light. Per Garmin's website it weighs 1.4 ounces...I guess it has to be big enough to show you a decent amount of information (mine shows pace, distance and time on the same screen). :) I may be biased though, I used to have a 305 that actually began to hurt my wrist so in comparison my 220 feels like nothing.

305 (2.72 ounces):
Forerunner-305-on-the-wrist.jpg

(source)

220 (1.4 ounces):
IMG_5113_thumb.jpg

(source)

So I guess the watch face is big, but the watch itself doesn't seem huge to me because it's thin and lightweight...if that makes sense.

fruitfruit

I am not a watch person either and have really small wrists so basically every GPS watch out there is massive on me. I have the Garmin FR410 which I love because it came with a small sized cloth band that I could swap out for the hard plastic band so it fits very snugly on my wrist (but does require the occasional washing from time to time).

I will have to check this one out! Thanks!

Which one? Some of the older models are pretty huge. I have the 220 and I think it's pretty comfortable - thin and light. Per Garmin's website it weighs 1.4 ounces...I guess it has to be big enough to show you a decent amount of information (mine shows pace, distance and time on the same screen). :) I may be biased though, I used to have a 305 that actually began to hurt my wrist so in comparison my 220 feels like nothing.

305 (2.72 ounces):
Forerunner-305-on-the-wrist.jpg

(source)

220 (1.4 ounces):
IMG_5113_thumb.jpg

(source)

So I guess the watch face is big, but the watch itself doesn't seem huge to me because it's thin and lightweight...if that makes sense.

I didn't even think about factoring in the weight of the watch. 305 looks even bigger! But it does make sense because you actually might want to see your numbers while running :)

Sumrdog

Garmin Forerunner 110...I like it just fine for my needs. I have had no problem with the battery I know it will last at least 7 hours in satellite mode, much longer as just a watch.

The face is a little big but I have gotten used to it.

Banzai

I have been using a Timex Run Trainer 2 but I recently tested the accuracy against a good GPS and discovered that it consistently measures the distance too short. I am .17 to .27 miles short over a 3 mike run. I think it cuts the corners. That may be because it doesnt check the position often enough or has a poor GPS receiver that loses lock too easily. I really dont know but I plan to get a FR 220

lukacseven

Oh, I see that now.

Danielle, the Forerunner 210 is the older model to the 220 but is still sold. It provides interval training and is now sold at a discount. That may be a possibility.

I have been using the Garmin 210 for a few years (since November 2011). I like the size (not big at all) and it's very simple to use. The Garmin online interface is ok, but I like Strava better. I like it because it's basic and that's really all I need (timer/pace/mileage) don't see a need or desire to switch or upgrade as it's still working great. I don't wear it as a everyday watch, I only wear it on runs & races.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I have the Nike+ Sportwatch. I've had no problems with it at all. It has a clear to read display, and you can cycle several display options during your run. When not in GPS mode, it serves as a stylish everyday watch. It's rechargeable as well.

fruitfruit

Do any of you guys run with the heart rate monitor on? I like the idea of it for accuracy on how many calories I would be burning but I am not sure it's totally necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom