GOTG Flying Coaster in EPCOT?

mcjaco

No. I don't believe so.

Technically for state laws and insurance liability, yes. They would need to "check" each harness (the old "pull the yellow strap" BS).

Those old lie down Vekoma's were the worst. I much prefer the B&M design (although I'm not a fan of flying coasters anyway. They're kind of a one trick pony.

Bairstow

Technically for state laws and insurance liability, yes. They would need to "check" each harness (the old "pull the yellow strap" BS).

Those old lie down Vekoma's were the worst. I much prefer the B&M design (although I'm not a fan of flying coasters anyway. They're kind of a one trick pony.

I'm actually really interested to see if this goes somewhere. A relatively slow-moving flying coaster that travels over show scenes would have great potential. Think the peter pan ride with some teeth.

lazyboy97o

I'm actually really interested to see if this goes somewhere. A relatively slow-moving flying coaster that travels over show scenes would have great potential. Think the peter pan ride with some teeth.
It is not intended to just be slow moving. The test track is to test its unique functionality, not more traditional coaster elements.

jato4x4

Part of their design problem with Soarin' was that they didn't want to have riders go up stairs or elevators to different levels for load/ unload. Not only for staffing, but for guests ease of access and time that it would take. Granted that was almost 20 years ago, and things have changed. But it seems like it would have the same issues. It will be interesting to see how and what they do there though. I'm hopeful we get an e-ticket that's not just a minute long ride experience.

wdwgreek

I hate roller coasters so I really hope Disney doesn't start to six flags its experiences. Space Mountain I borderline too Intense for me and Rockin Roller Coaster is beyond my tolerance. This looks like it'll make RnRC look like a kiddie ride.

Launchpad McQuack

I hate roller coasters so I really hope Disney doesn't start to six flags its experiences. Space Mountain I borderline too Intense for me and Rockin Roller Coaster is beyond my tolerance. This looks like it'll make RnRC look like a kiddie ride.

I get what you're saying, but we need to remember that not every attraction needs to be for every person. For example, we lost Alien Encounter because it was too scary for kids, but it was a fun, thrilling experience for lots of teens and adult guests. I know people who hate Tower of Terror (due to the drops), and my dad still says the closest he ever came to death was riding Mission: Space, but they recognize the appeal for other people.

Launchpad McQuack

Am I the only person who thinks this wouldn't make sense for Guardians? Flying like this doesn't really fit with any of the characters the way it does someone like Superman. That said, it would make perfect sense for an Iron Man ride on the west coast or a Big Hero Six ride (flying with/on/as Baymax).

wdwgreek

I get what you're saying, but we need to remember that not every attraction needs to be for every person. For example, we lost Alien Encounter because it was too scary for kids, but it was a fun, thrilling experience for lots of teens and adult guests. I know people who hate Tower of Terror (due to the drops), and my dad still says the closest he ever came to death was riding Mission: Space, but they recognize the appeal for other people.
I totally see your point, I think there is a place for roller coasters, ala test track or space mountain, but once you start getting into these intense rides, I think you cut out way too much of the Disney audience and it inhibits the ability to tell a story through an attraction. If I want to ride a ride that makes me dizzy and twisted I can go to six flags new England and do that, At Disney I expect story telling in their attractions, I expect that most rides can be done by most people. that's a winning formula.

Launchpad McQuack

I totally see your point, I think there is a place for roller coasters, ala test track or space mountain, but once you start getting into these intense rides, I think you cut out way too much of the Disney audience and it inhibits the ability to tell a story through an attraction. If I want to ride a ride that makes me dizzy and twisted I can go to six flags new England and do that, At Disney I expect story telling in their attractions, I expect that most rides can be done by most people. that's a winning formula.

What you're saying makes complete sense, but on the flip side of that is that WDW seems to pride itself on being "something for everyone". There are resorts, restaurants, bars, golf courses, etc. that only appeal to (or can be afforded by) certain groups of guests, so I don't see why that can't also apply to some attractions. I would never want to do away with family friendly/"kiddie" attractions (especially because some of those are my all-time favorites, but I don't think having a few "adult"/thrilling areas in the parks would hurt, as long as they didn't compromise the family friendly areas.

wdwgreek

What you're saying makes complete sense, but on the flip side of that is that WDW seems to pride itself on being "something for everyone". There are resorts, restaurants, bars, golf courses, etc. that only appeal to (or can be afforded by) certain groups of guests, so I don't see why that can't also apply to some attractions. I would never want to do away with family friendly/"kiddie" attractions (especially because some of those are my all-time favorites, but I don't think having a few "adult"/thrilling areas in the parks would hurt, as long as they didn't compromise the family friendly areas.
I would argue they already have more then a few Adult/thrilling rides. There should absolutely be a spread of ideas from 1 to 10 intensity, but this design patent looks to be a step up from what are already more intense rides, it certainly looks more intense then let's say Everest, or RNRC. The more intense you go the smaller your market for that ride goes. If the guardians ride using this ride system replaces Ellen, then Future world will have 4 thrilling rides. Aha test track, mission space, Soarin ( I don't think its too thrilling but my mother disagrees) and then this. I think it tilts the balance towards thrill rides too heavy.

lazyboy97o

I would argue they already have more then a few Adult/thrilling rides. There should absolutely be a spread of ideas from 1 to 10 intensity, but this design patent looks to be a step up from what are already more intense rides, it certainly looks more intense then let's say Everest, or RNRC. The more intense you go the smaller your market for that ride goes. If the guardians ride using this ride system replaces Ellen, then Future world will have 4 thrilling rides. Aha test track, mission space, Soarin ( I don't think its too thrilling but my mother disagrees) and then this. I think it tilts the balance towards thrill rides too heavy.
The patent is for how to load a certain type of roller coaster. It says nothing about the level of intensity of the coaster.

jato4x4

But if more people rode Ellen as it was, then no one would be having this conversation. Plus MS has a green side that is just a movie in a cockpit. Even TT is no different than driving on the highway. The majority of rides in WDW are for everyone already. Soarin' I understand your mom's feelings, because my mother was the same way, lol. But to most it's not a thrill ride either.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love for there to be more dark rides all over WDW, but I'd also like for Disney to do thrill rides, because I don't really like going to other parks like 6 flags.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's not like they had this idea before when they were considering a Rocketeer Coaster...
the-rocketeer-1991-disney-movie-incomplete-disneyland-ride-attraction.jpg

RocketeerRide.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom