Going back with "grown up" kids

DisneyGigi

So very excited to be going back to the World after an almost 5 years! The last trip that we were able to take the kids were 14 and 11. We have been many times starting from the time they were 2. They are now 19 and 16!! It is going to be amazing but I think I may be an emotional wreck thinking about all the things that we did there when they were little. Also hoping as much Disney as we have instilled in them over the years clicked and they are still into characters and things like that. The Disney mom in me kept thinking I have to go back before they are grown-up and we didn't get to.. so here is hoping that Disney kids never grow up!! They don't do they? Please say that they don't!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Mine's 26 - and she still loves to go (especially since Mom ends up paying for just about everything). :happy:

We have our favorite rides in each park we make sure to do on our trips and now we can enjoy more adult activities together (Wine & Food Festival, Flower Show, restaurants) as her tastes have matured...that and less interest in princess merchandise and more interest in kitchen stuff and jewelry. We are thinking of doing the Everest Challenge next year, once Mom gets back in shape. And then, the ultimate Mother/Daughter event - the Princess Half Marathon. I've always wanted to run in a tutu and tiara. :joyfull:

We did the Food & Wine our last trip and they loved it then too. My kids love different types of food. Wish we could take it in again this trip. I still did a lot of character breakfasts too so maybe they will still enjoy those! And I love the Princess Marathon idea if you do that you must post pictures! Lol

Upvote 0

smk

My kids are 31, 29 and 27. They never get tired of going. Well, my 29 year old maybe, he has not been in years but is a chef and would love to eat his way around the world again one day. He has no real interest in signature dining, he can make it all and does at his place but he does love the foodie aspect of Epcot. I feel guilt not taking them!

I am looking forward to taking my grandson one day, I cannot wait to take him actually!

Upvote 0

kasi22

Disney is extra ordinary famous place in the world because every tourist have wish to go for the tour of Disney i also make plan for the Disney but in less budget like hand to mouth...

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

I'm going back in Oct/Nov this year - 2 families with 'children' of 26,27 & 29! (2 of them have birthdays when we visit too :joyfull:). Went without them the last 2 times and they insisted on joining parents again this time - don't think it makes any difference how old they (or you) are. The magic of disney makes sure of that!

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Just wanted to give a quick update as we are now 35 days out and have been working hard on costumes for MNSSHP. I am pretty sure I had nothing to worry about... My "grown up" kids are more into costumes than ever. :) I can't wait!!
image.jpg

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Just wanted to give a quick update as we are now 35 days out and have been working hard on costumes for MNSSHP. I am pretty sure I had nothing to worry about... My "grown up" kids are more into costumes than ever. :) I can't wait!! View attachment 59753
You're going to enjoy it even more. My DS was 8yo when we first went and he still has the Disney Magic in his blood at 27. Now we can enjoy the Dis experience as equals. No more having to keep track of his whereabouts. No more kid meltdowns. No more fussy appetites. No more fears of scary rides. No arguments about can I have this?
Yes I miss my little boy that he once was...The memories of those trips will always remain.... but we have to move on and I'm enjoying his adulthood and happy he still wants to share it at Disney with me. Enjoy your trip with your kids at a different stage of life. Create more memories.

Upvote 0

Gurt

The costumes look great, I went aged 8,9,10 and 12 then had a horrible 'disney dry spell' of 15 years, but I went last September aged 27 and had a blast! I have a really nice picture that I didn't notice till we were home, me my mum and bf with Minnie, the photopass photographer managed to snap just as my mum was looking at me with such a huge smile on her face being happy at how happy I was to be there!

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
The costumes look great, I went aged 8,9,10 and 12 then had a horrible 'disney dry spell' of 15 years, but I went last September aged 27 and had a blast! I have a really nice picture that I didn't notice till we were home, me my mum and bf with Minnie, the photopass photographer managed to snap just as my mum was looking at me with such a huge smile on her face being happy at how happy I was to be there!

Thank you. That is so sweet that they captured that moment. I have some from previous trips that the looks on our faces when we didn't even realize they were snapping are priceless. :)

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

My first visit was when I was somewhere around 1 year old. Growing up, we pretty much went every other year. Since my brother and I graduated from high school, we have gone almost every year. It's a completely different experience going as an adult. We are able to take our time in the parks and get reminded of some crazy memory everywhere we look. Over the years, our family has grown to incude spouses and the first grandkid. Last year, we took my 15 month old on her second trip. We stopped to see Mickey in Epcot, because there was no line. I thought she would be too young to understand what was going on. I was wrong. Her face lit up when she saw Mickey, and I lost it. Seeing my daughter's face and knowing that my mom saw the same thing so many years before was a truly special moment. Judging by the costumes, your kids are going to have a blast and continue having a blast for the rest of their lives. I hope you get to have some great multi-generational Disney moments like I have had!

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
My first visit was when I was somewhere around 1 year old. Growing up, we pretty much went every other year. Since my brother and I graduated from high school, we have gone almost every year. It's a completely different experience going as an adult. We are able to take our time in the parks and get reminded of some crazy memory everywhere we look. Over the years, our family has grown to incude spouses and the first grandkid. Last year, we took my 15 month old on her second trip. We stopped to see Mickey in Epcot, because there was no line. I thought she would be too young to understand what was going on. I was wrong. Her face lit up when she saw Mickey, and I lost it. Seeing my daughter's face and knowing that my mom saw the same thing so many years before was a truly special moment. Judging by the costumes, your kids are going to have a blast and continue having a blast for the rest of their lives. I hope you get to have some great multi-generational Disney moments like I have had!

This made me cry! So, so sweet. I hope my kids pass that Disney love down to their kids one day too. I still to this day, will never forget their little faces the first time each saw Mickey the first time. :)

Upvote 0

SuprDav

We took our 18 year old daughter in March during her HS spring break. She probably enjoyed it more than ever before. She's off to college next week and she's already angling for another DW trip.

Upvote 0

DfromATX

I have older kids too (11, 16, 17, & 18). Truthfully, I really miss when the older ones were around age 10/11. Those were good times, but we still enjoy our trips. The older kids get, the more you can do (and at a faster pace). I also look forward to taking my grand children one day. Each stage of life brings a different experience.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

This made me cry! So, so sweet. I hope my kids pass that Disney love down to their kids one day too. I still to this day, will never forget their little faces the first time each saw Mickey the first time. :)

It made me cry too! I tear up thinking about it. As we were coming out of the character meet and greet that day, there was a Disney employee taking a survey about people's experience on the attraction. The poor woman had to wait for me to pull myself together enough to tell her how amazing it was.

Upvote 0
So very excited to be going back to the World after an almost 5 years! The last trip that we were able to take the kids were 14 and 11. We have been many times starting from the time they were 2. They are now 19 and 16!! It is going to be amazing but I think I may be an emotional wreck thinking about all the things that we did there when they were little. Also hoping as much Disney as we have instilled in them over the years clicked and they are still into characters and things like that. The Disney mom in me kept thinking I have to go back before they are grown-up and we didn't get to.. so here is hoping that Disney kids never grow up!! They don't do they? Please say that they don't!

Disney kids grown up to be Disney adults!! My sons love Disney World as much now as they did when they were little. They are 25 and 22. My 25 year old son loves it so much that he proposed to his wife and was married there this past October. We have always called it our happy place. Now, that name is more true than ever!! Enjoy this time with your kids because before you know it they will be living their own lives and taking their own kids to Disney (hopefully with Grandma in tow - LOL). We are heading back down in September for the first time without my oldest son. It will be bittersweet because I will not have one of mine with me. This will probably be my middle son's last trip as well. They grow up too fast! Have fun with them, because these memories last a lifetime!!

Upvote 0

JillC LI

This so totally makes my heart smile! I so wanted to take my son before he graduated.. but we couldn't. I made sure he had his Mickey Graduation Ears though! One of the things I want to do the most is recreate old photos. My son is now 6'5 and I am a mere 5'4 we did this picture where he was holding my hand, at 3 his first trip, with his Goofy hat on that I want to do again. but this time I might wear the Goofy hat? :)

DS at ages 7 and 13:

I hope to take another about 6 years later!

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

My DSs gladly posed with characters 5 years ago when they were 14 and 19. Next trip is next Christmas (a lot of bills and health issues prevented an earlier trip) they'll be 20 and 25 and will gladly pose with each and every character than can. Even when we went when they were 12 and 17, 13 and 18 ... the great thing was we could go back to our resort and let them continue on park hopping wherever they wanted to and felt completely at ease that they were okay.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom