Going back with "grown up" kids

DisneyGigi

So very excited to be going back to the World after an almost 5 years! The last trip that we were able to take the kids were 14 and 11. We have been many times starting from the time they were 2. They are now 19 and 16!! It is going to be amazing but I think I may be an emotional wreck thinking about all the things that we did there when they were little. Also hoping as much Disney as we have instilled in them over the years clicked and they are still into characters and things like that. The Disney mom in me kept thinking I have to go back before they are grown-up and we didn't get to.. so here is hoping that Disney kids never grow up!! They don't do they? Please say that they don't!

cw1982

Lol... they're going to have a great time, and so will you :)

Just be prepared to go with the flow in terms of gaging their interest in things at the parks. They'll probably still enjoy a lot of the same things, but try to not be too disappointed if they don't view everything the same way. They'll still enjoy it, just in different ways. I think it would be cool to have that comparison.

Have fun! :)

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Lol... they're going to have a great time, and so will you :)

Just be prepared to go with the flow in terms of gaging their interest in things at the parks. They'll probably still enjoy a lot of the same things, but try to not be too disappointed if they don't view everything the same way. They'll still enjoy it, just in different ways. I think it would be cool to have that comparison.

Have fun! :)

Gosh, it has been so long since I used these boards regularly that I forgot how to multi-quote lol so forgive me for replying twice!

I was so thankful that when my son was 14 and so too cool for some things that he still grinned and posed for certain characters (Eeyore & Piglet the most which was funny, I read a lot of Winnie the Pooh books to him though) Parades I don't think they will be into as much as they were they would rather ride the rides. They are planning their MNSSHP costumes though.. so maybe that is a good sign! How time passed so quickly and I am going to WDW with them at this age I will never know!

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
One of my best WDW trips was when my family went my senior year in college after a long break. It was a blast....we even recreated a picture of my dad and I on Dumbo that they took during my first trip to WDW!

This so totally makes my heart smile! I so wanted to take my son before he graduated.. but we couldn't. I made sure he had his Mickey Graduation Ears though! One of the things I want to do the most is recreate old photos. My son is now 6'5 and I am a mere 5'4 we did this picture where he was holding my hand, at 3 his first trip, with his Goofy hat on that I want to do again. but this time I might wear the Goofy hat? :)

Upvote 0

RubyLee

This so totally makes my heart smile! I so wanted to take my son before he graduated.. but we couldn't. I made sure he had his Mickey Graduation Ears though! One of the things I want to do the most is recreate old photos. My son is now 6'5 and I am a mere 5'4 we did this picture where he was holding my hand, at 3 his first trip, with his Goofy hat on that I want to do again. but this time I might wear the Goofy hat? :)
I'd highly recommend it! Both my parents & I have it framed! They are some of my favorite family photos ever. We had a blast looking through old photo albums and figuring out which ones to stage (we took several with all four of us).

Upvote 0

75disney

One of the great things about Disney is that it makes everyone a kid at heart again. Your kids will probably still love it. My parents took us to Disney at all ages and I still love it and take my kids as often as I can, my brother makes love of Disney a necessary requirement for a girl friend, and my sister got a job there. You are never too old for Disney.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

So very excited to be going back to the World after an almost 5 years! The last trip that we were able to take the kids were 14 and 11. We have been many times starting from the time they were 2. They are now 19 and 16!! It is going to be amazing but I think I may be an emotional wreck thinking about all the things that we did there when they were little. Also hoping as much Disney as we have instilled in them over the years clicked and they are still into characters and things like that. The Disney mom in me kept thinking I have to go back before they are grown-up and we didn't get to.. so here is hoping that Disney kids never grow up!! They don't do they? Please say that they don't!
I read this post and got so excited for you! LOL I am a typical Disney Mom... started taking my son to Disney when he was 3, he just turned 25 a few days ago, and STILL loves Disney probably as much as I do. Be prepared to cry like a baby many times during your trip LOL. The sweetest words a Mom can hear at Disney are "Hey Mom, remember when?!?!?!" Family memories at their best! Have a wonderful time!!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

My son and husband have a *game* they play EVERY trip, called.. "Lets Guess How Many Times Will Mom Cry" ... boarding DME (thats one) going under *The Sign* (yep thats two) Pulling up to our resort... etc... LOL The bonus point is when I walk into MK first time of our trip, Castle in sight, say a small prayer and blow a kiss up to Heaven to Uncle Walt LOLOL

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I read this post and got so excited for you! LOL I am a typical Disney Mom... started taking my son to Disney when he was 3, he just turned 25 a few days ago, and STILL loves Disney probably as much as I do. Be prepared to cry like a baby many times during your trip LOL. The sweetest words a Mom can hear at Disney are "Hey Mom, remember when?!?!?!" Family memories at their best! Have a wonderful time!!!!

Thank you so much! Words cannot begin to say how excited I am. It is going to be different that is for sure and I am already crying when I think about it. I am so happy to be going back and very blessed that even though we had what I call a Disney Dry-spell for awhile that we are going together as a family! So, so many wonderful memories and I am a crier anyway especially at Disney! My kids are used to it though so that is a good thing! Hoping and praying my son still has to have a Goofy hat as soon as we walk in.. He has one from every single trip. Lol

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
My son and husband have a *game* they play EVERY trip, called.. "Lets Guess How Many Times Will Mom Cry" ... boarding DME (thats one) going under *The Sign* (yep thats two) Pulling up to our resort... etc... LOL The bonus point is when I walk into MK first time of our trip, Castle in sight, say a small prayer and blow a kiss up to Heaven to Uncle Walt LOLOL

This sounds exactly like me lol I told my husband I may actually kiss the ground when my feet hit Main Street and I will definitely be sobbing!

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Thank you so much! Words cannot begin to say how excited I am. It is going to be different that is for sure and I am already crying when I think about it. I am so happy to be going back and very blessed that even though we had what I call a Disney Dry-spell for awhile that we are going together as a family! So, so many wonderful memories and I am a crier anyway especially at Disney! My kids are used to it though so that is a good thing! Hoping and praying my son still has to have a Goofy hat as soon as we walk in.. He has one from every single trip. Lol
You know what kind of sucks?? Our kids remember EVERYTHING .... and use it against us LOL. When my son was, maybe 8 or 9, we were watching Illuminations Reflections of Earth, I turned to him and said "Some day, you will be watching this with YOUR kids and will remember me telling you how much I love you" ... He repeats that to m EVERY trip! LMAO I LOSE it! Dang kids, anyhow LOL

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Mine's 26 - and she still loves to go (especially since Mom ends up paying for just about everything). :happy:

We have our favorite rides in each park we make sure to do on our trips and now we can enjoy more adult activities together (Wine & Food Festival, Flower Show, restaurants) as her tastes have matured...that and less interest in princess merchandise and more interest in kitchen stuff and jewelry. We are thinking of doing the Everest Challenge next year, once Mom gets back in shape. And then, the ultimate Mother/Daughter event - the Princess Half Marathon. I've always wanted to run in a tutu and tiara. :joyfull:

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
our "kids" are now 42, 38, and 35, still disney lovers with little disney lovers of their own now age 14, 12, 8, and 5.
Even more fun with grand kids along. We joined DVC in 1999 thinking we would be going to HH every year. Well, grand kids reign so it is one or more of our kid's families joing us, and always at WDW.

That is exactly what I want for my family!! I am still going through the pains of not wanting them to grow up but can't imagine how wonderful it will be walking down Main Street with my "Babies" babies one day! :)

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That is exactly what I want for my family!! I am still going through the pains of not wanting them to grow up but can't imagine how wonderful it will be walking down Main Street with my "Babies" babies one day! :)

That's what I'm looking forward to, when I get to play Grandma to the next generation of Disneyites.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom