Garden Grill-Is it worth it?

DfromATX

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I've seen various posts about how great Garden Grill is. While I'd love to try it sometime and think it would be really neat to revolve around Living with the Land, my favorite Epcot attraction, I just can't get passed the $$$ and type of food. Maybe I misread, but isn't it about $60 per adult? And judging from the photo, the food served is turkey, fish, and roast beef with ordinary veggies? My thought is that's a lot of money for ordinary American food that I eat all the time. I know it's all you can eat, but I can only eat so much. When I go to Disney I like to try foods that I don't ordinarily get to eat. That's part of the fun for me!

What are your thoughts on this? Am I mistaken about the high price? Is it really worth it?

CaptainAmerica

1. I don't know where you got that price, but no, it's not $60. It's about $40, with fluctuations due to seasonality.

2. Character meals all carry a price premium above and beyond the value of the food. Crystal Palace breakfast is $30 for pancakes.

3. I'm not sure what you're getting at with "ordinary American food." Not every menu is going to be exotic like Boma or Marrakesh. Yes, it's turkey, fish, and roast beef, but that doesn't mean it's not delicious. If your goal is exotic, then no Garden Grill would not be worth it for you.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The price peaks at $45 and includes your beverage so I am not sure where $60 came from.

It is also a character meal which accounts for some of the price.

I would say that it is worth it by Disney standards, but it is a much better value at lunch where the price peaks at $35.

If you want something a little more exotic at a lower price, Sunshine Seasons in the same pavilion is quite good.

CaptainAmerica

The price peaks at $45 and includes your beverage so I am not sure where $60 came from.

It is also a character meal which accounts for some of the price.

I would say that it is worth it by Disney standards, but it is a much better value at lunch where the price peaks at $35.

If you want something a little more exotic at a lower price, Sunshine Seasons in the same pavilion is quite good.
Too slow.

DfromATX

Original Poster
I got the price from their website. (I'll try to paste what I saw, but not sure if I'm doing it right.)
garden-grill-restaurant

OK it didn't work. Anyway, it says on their dining page, "$$$ ($30 to $59.99 per adult)"

CaptainAmerica

I got the price from their website. (I'll try to paste what I saw, but not sure if I'm doing it right.)
garden-grill-restaurant

OK it didn't work. Anyway, it says on their dining page, "$$$ ($30 to $59.99 per adult)"
That's just the category it falls into. $, $$, $$$, or $$$$. Wdwmagic has a solid dining section with more detail prices.

Phonedave

Let's put it this way. If it was down the street from my house, garden grill would not be worth it. The food is good, but is in no way worth the price - in the real workd.

However, it is not the real world, it is WDW, and the price they charge there is right in line with everything else. They have a pretty sold offering at the GG, and then there are characters which always up the price.

No, there is nothing there that is not "normal" food, but everyone who I have ever eaten there with has at least enjoyed the food.

I'm not sure how "different" food rates a higer price point either. Just because the food is somethat that you do not have everyday does not mean it costs more to produce. I can understand you are willing to pay more because of supply and demand, but when I see WDW charging astronomical prices for what amounts to everyday food, just from a different ethnic background, it really sticks in my craw.

-dave

DfromATX

Original Poster
Well, $45 is a lot better than $60... maybe next trip. I thought the $60 was the price for peak times (which is when we'll be going).

DfromATX

Original Poster
Let me ask y'all this, would you rather eat at Garden Grill or Via Napoli? (Or, are they too different to compare?)

CaptainAmerica

Then what's the $60 for that Disney advertises?
It's just the category of restaurant it falls into. It's like saying "Deluxe resorts run from $325 to $1,500 per night." That doesn't mean you'd ever pay $1,500 for a room at the Wilderness Lodge, because $1,500 is for a deluxe king club level room at the Grand Floridian on Christmas Eve.

CaptainAmerica

Let me ask y'all this, would you rather eat at Garden Grill or Via Napoli? (Or, are they too different to compare?)
Way too different to compare, IMO. For food specifically, Via Napoli. I wouldn't go to any of the character meals solely for the food. You go to a character meal if you want a character meal specifically.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Then what's the $60 for that Disney advertises?
It is just a general range they put on restaurants that show $$$ as their pricing and not an exact figure. You might never see that peak $60 price tag and if you do, it might only be at one place.

Way too different to compare IMHO. Both are great, but they night and day when it comes to food, atmosphere, etc.

DfromATX

Original Poster
Way too different to compare, IMO. For food specifically, Via Napoli. I wouldn't go to any of the character meals solely for the food. You go to a character meal if you want a character meal specifically.

Thanks, we go for food and ambiance, not the characters. I do love Living with the Land - just not crazy about roast beef. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom