Garden Grill-Is it worth it?

DfromATX

Original Poster
I guess it depends if you feel like having Italian or American and it's really hard to know that 6 months in advance. Ugghh...

Disney4family

We tried it twice. We weren't impressed the first time, but will always give restaurants another shot later. The character interaction was very nice both times. The characters came over many times. The food just isn't that great. Although it's "all you can eat", the waitress was noticeably unhappy when she had to bring over more food. She gave my husband an index card with some sarcastic comment about being a champion meat eater. He's honestly not a big eater. I don't know what the big deal was except we asked to have more than the one plate. We've asked at LTT too and it's never an issue there.
We had a wonderful meal at Sunshine Seasons and will go back there again. There was a wonderful variety of tasty, hot food and it's a pretty and exciting pavilion in which to dine.

DfromATX

Original Poster
We tried it twice. We weren't impressed the first time, but will always give restaurants another shot later. The character interaction was very nice both times. The characters came over many times. The food just isn't that great. Although it's "all you can eat", the waitress was noticeably unhappy when she had to bring over more food. She gave my husband an index card with some sarcastic comment about being a champion meat eater. He's honestly not a big eater. I don't know what the big deal was except we asked to have more than the one plate. We've asked at LTT too and it's never an issue there.
We had a wonderful meal at Sunshine Seasons and will go back there again. There was a wonderful variety of tasty, hot food and it's a pretty and exciting pavilion in which to dine.

Is there a menu you choose from or do they just bring you the food (like 'Ohanas)? Is there a salad bar? I thought I saw one in some pics and that would appeal to my husband.

wdwhoneymooner

We've eaten there numerous times (including this past Christmas) and have always found the food to be very good but not great. 90% of the time, the service was good with only a couple of times when the CM seemed slow. While the food served there is fairly common to most (turkey, flank steak, mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, etc.) you really are just paying the premium for meeting characters and we've never had a poor visit from any of them over the years. In fact they're some of the best ones to interact with. If you've already taken pics with characters elsewhere and it isn't considered a "must do" by your party, then I'd skip it. Use your $ for other offerings. We keep dining there because we have a tradition of eating there and making great memories over the years.

Princess Kaylee

The location near the soon to be dead fish creeps me out to much to venture out and try it. I would suggest Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Royal Table, or 1900 Park Fare instead...

ATLLena

1. I don't know where you got that price, but no, it's not $60. It's about $40, with fluctuations due to seasonality.

2. Character meals all carry a price premium above and beyond the value of the food. Crystal Palace breakfast is $30 for pancakes.

3. I'm not sure what you're getting at with "ordinary American food." Not every menu is going to be exotic like Boma or Marrakesh. Yes, it's turkey, fish, and roast beef, but that doesn't mean it's not delicious. If your goal is exotic, then no Garden Grill would not be worth it for you.
We ate dinner there last year, end of April. We paid around $160 for 3 adults + tip. No adult drinks or anything additional was purchased from the menu.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

We ate dinner there last year, end of April. We paid around $160 for 3 adults. No adult drinks or anything additional was purchased from the menu.
Are you disagreeing or agreeing? With tax and tip, $160 total would be right around the $40 per person I stated.

ATLLena

Are you disagreeing or agreeing? With tax and tip, $160 total would be right around the $40 per person I stated.
:) that was without the tip. Sorry should have been more clear. What I meant was that we went in "moderate crowds/price" season and the price was close to "peak" season. It costs more than $40-$45 per person, from my experience.

Last edited:

Phonedave

It is directly over Living On The Land, on that ride you go through greenhouses where they farm fish and crocodiles that will be eaten in Disney Parks...

It's not over that part of the ride, the aquaculture section is in the greenhouse part. You cant even see the grennhouse part, all you can see from the restaruant is the section from just after the rainforest to the farm house.

Phonedave

Let me ask y'all this, would you rather eat at Garden Grill or Via Napoli? (Or, are they too different to compare?)

Why they are totally different - character vs. non character, all you care to enjoy vs menu, "american" vs Italian, if I was given the choice I would go with Via Napoli - for me.

My reasons are that while I like the food at GG, the all you care to eat idea does not do anything for me. The characters are also no great thrill. While the are great at GG, I have been there more times than I can recall (8 would be a good guess) so I have no reall need to see them again. Also, but the nature of the restaruant, I have tried everying on the menu at GG.

Via Napoli lets me order to my hunger level, and pay accordingly. Will I get an app or not? Ill decide that day. There are also many thigns on the Via Napoli menu I have yet to try, so thats an added bonus. While Via Napoli can be loud (very loud) I do like the atmosphere in there a lot more - GG sort of feels like eating in a Denny's to me. Booths, terrazo floors, etc.

-dave

The Empress Lilly

Oh yeah, that's the reason why I want to eat there. I love Living with the Land!
Last I ate here the restaurant went by a different name and wasn't infested with characters yet. But I do remember how great it was to just sit there and slowly revolve around the LwtL scenes. ^_^

Everything else about the place may be overpriced and under quality, but that one unique aspect remains. If LwtL is your thing - and it is easily the second best ride in EPCOT after SSE! - then I'd give it a try.

Also, for me the American fare they serve is part of the attraction. Why, it ties in nicely with the farm and the locally produced foods.

DfromATX

Original Poster
Last I ate here the restaurant went by a different name and wasn't infested with characters yet. But I do remember how great it was to just sit there and slowly revolve around the LwtL scenes. ^_^

Everything else about the place may be overpriced and under quality, but that one unique aspect remains. If LwtL is your thing - and it is easily the second best ride in EPCOT after SSE! - then I'd give it a try.

Also, for me the American fare they serve is part of the attraction. Why, it ties in nicely with the farm and the locally produced foods.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care about the characters lol. My whole reasoning for going there would be LwtL and I like the idea of locally grown foods. I still say it's a lot of money for the type of food it is. Such decisions...

The Empress Lilly

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care about the characters lol. My whole reasoning for going there would be LwtL and I like the idea of locally grown foods. I still say it's a lot of money for the type of food it is. Such decisions...
....if you ask nicely when there is barely anybody there, you can take a walk around the restaurant and see the show scenes from above without actually eating there....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom