GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I saw this link on another board and definitely thought it was worth sharing here. I know many families don't have the same attitude as this women but she truly feels entitled. She has an adorable son who is not terminally ill and she should be thankful for that not whining because Disney took her front of the line and multiple back to back ride pass away from her . She abused the system .
http://www.squidalicious.com/2013/09/please-disneyland-do-right-by-your.html

She's the classic poster child... the one that believes unrestricted FOTL is a specific accommodation for her son. Yet when she outlines why she thinks it is, fails to acknowledge the DAS provides means to address those specific issues as well.

Not without melting down due to the crowds, the noise, the expectation based on previous experience that he will not have to wait in lines longer than 20 or so minutes. Without the GAC, Disneyland is effectively barred to my son

Noise.. crowds.. waiting in line longer than 20mins? All things addressed by the DAS... yet she concludes without her FOTL access 'disneyland is effectively barred to my son'. Whatever... she'll be back.

minninedaisy74

I should have added that her responses to comments made by others is what shows her true side. I didn't find the actual entry to be that crazy but her comments make her sound like a 6 year old brat. It sucks for her kid though if she refuses to take him back . He looks like an adorable typical 12 year old who loves Disney.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I should have added that her responses to comments made by others is what shows her true side. I didn't find the actual entry to be thra crazy but her comments make her sound like a 6 year old brat. It sucks for her kid though is refuses to take him back . He looks like an adorable typical 12 year old who loves Disney.

Yup... her argument 'disney created presedence' and how dare you take it away from me. She demonstrates all the classic ignorances of the law and then turns to attacking people who don't fall in line with her beliefs. Pretty much why we can't have nice thing :)

bhg469

That lady, sigh... Where to start? She's refusing to give this new system a try and she seems to think that Disney is her personal therapist.

Tom Morrow

You know whats interesting? The service the DAS provides is almost identical to the Six Flags Flashpass/Qbot service that you have to PAY FOR to use, especially when it will eventually be done electronically. It still provides an advantage and still accommodates the needs of not being able to wait in long lines.

"But no, that isn't good enough! I need my unlimited, unrestricted Fastpass!"

natatomic

Okay, so I've only caught up to page 19, so forgive me if this has been said in the past 24 pages.

I really like most of these changes. Is it perfect? No. There is still potential for some abuse - non-disabled people can still get a DAS simply by lying, but I honestly have no good, reasonable suggestions on how to fix that), multiple members of the same family can probably each get a pass so that way they wouldn't be limited to their one pass at a time. But at the end of the day, it's not so simple as going to an attractions FP entrance 30 times in a row. Abuse will still be present, but it will be significantly reduced, from what I humbly predict.

The only change that I don't understand why everyone is so excited about is the Photo ID. I think it's a GREAT idea in theory, however, the current GACs already have the name of the person on the card, and cast are *technically* supposed to ask who that is to verify that they are indeed riding. This leads me to my huge doubts regarding its effectiveness:

1) Most CMS don't bother to look at the name now, so how many will bother to look at the picture?

2) I am a CM who asks to see the name of the person on the card - I also enforce the 6 person rule and the expiration date - but they often ask to speak to a manager who 99% of the time then lets them in. While it's technically a rule that I was trained to enforce, I have been chastised more than once for being "too black and white" regarding this requirement (as well as the 6 person rule and the date. And even the stamp! The wheelchair stamp is supposed to go through the standard line at my attraction, but my management team wants me to let them in the FP if they try to argue with me so that I can "preserve the magic" for them. "Magic" my a**, I'm preserving their entitlement attitude is more like it). Why would the managers suddenly start backing us up now just because it's a photo instead of a name? Granted, this can vary from area to area depending on the management team.

3) If multiple people in the same group get the DAS cards, the photo is pretty pointless anyway.

4) Groups will quickly realize that they only need to have the person on the card stand in line with them. Once they get to the loading area (beyond the merge point), the DAS holder can always opt out, and the loading CMs will have no clue that it was a person who SHOULD be riding per the rules. This happens with the current system as well.

Again, I like the idea of the photo in theory, but there are SO many ways around it, it seems pointless in practice. Just my two cents.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, I like the idea of the photo in theory, but there are SO many ways around it, it seems pointless in practice. Just my two cents.

The photo should discourage passing off the card and for most should keep the card holder riding. As you say, Disney will always given in, but requiring on that flex on every attraction I think would be discouraging enough for the more casual abusers. The worst of the bunch have no morals anyway and nothing you as a CM will stop them given how Disney never backs the CM in confrontations.

Mr Bill

There's still plenty of loopholes in the system, and it doesn't prevent many who were fraudulently using the system before from continuing to do so. What it will do, it seems, is limit the impact abusers have on other guests in the park.

Enforcement is an issue and that comes down to both frontline CMs and their managers. It's hard for the attractions CMs to enforce a policy when the manager the guest is going to demand to speak to is just going to override them. It lets the guest get away with breaking a rule, teaches them that they can get away with it, and makes the CM look like a jerk when they're just trying to do their job the way they were taught to.

Having photos in place of names might help with enforcement. It's harder to lie about what you look like than it is to lie about what your name is. Dad won't get to train Little Susie to say that her name is Barbara when Barbara is her grandmother's name and she's waiting on a bench outside the ride.

FutureWorld1982

3) If multiple people in the same group get the DAS cards, the photo is pretty pointless anyway.

Do you mean multiple people with a disability? Because the photo is used when the group has to enter the attraction. in fact, the person with the disability HAS to be present to enter the attraction. The rest of the group cannot ride a something using the DAS without the Guest with the disability.

EDIT - Oops, this should teach me that I need to finish reading a post before answering. Point #4 includes what I just stated. Sorry.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
1) Most CMS don't bother to look at the name now, so how many will bother to look at the picture?

I think the Photo ID is more of a deterrent than anything else. If people have to take that extra step and know more of their personal info is on file, it may discoruage people from getting the card in the first place.

I don't expect CM enforcement to change much, unless managers follow through with what they say.

Goofyernmost

There's still plenty of loopholes in the system, and it doesn't prevent many who were fraudulently using the system before from continuing to do so. What it will do, it seems, is limit the impact abusers have on other guests in the park.

Enforcement is an issue and that comes down to both frontline CMs and their managers. It's hard for the attractions CMs to enforce a policy when the manager the guest is going to demand to speak to is just going to override them. It lets the guest get away with breaking a rule, teaches them that they can get away with it, and makes the CM look like a jerk when they're just trying to do their job the way they were taught to.

Having photos in place of names might help with enforcement. It's harder to lie about what you look like than it is to lie about what your name is. Dad won't get to train Little Susie to say that her name is Barbara when Barbara is her grandmother's name and she's waiting on a bench outside the ride.
You're probably right, but, even the fact that if a CM challenges and then a Manager has to get involved, I think that this will delay people enough to make it not worth the effort. With the DAS card having things spelled out takes the decision away from the front line CM's. If the manager decides to let it happen, this time, will still slow it down. People with actual, honest disabilities should not have any such problem. People are reading to much in to this. I don't know if it's out of ignorance of just how the laws work or just disappointment that a perk that probably wasn't all that necessary is being taken away. Some one once said that you do not do your children a service by teaching them to settle for less then their ability.

Tom Morrow

From what I'm hearing, if the photo doesn't seem to match anyone in the party, the CM will have the right to ask for photo ID.

But yeah, the success of this working depends a lot on Disney managers enforcing the rules and backing up their cast... something they are not known to do.

jaklgreen

I really don't understand how people can do this to their kids. I know my niece is very aware of what is going on and would pick up on the special treatment she was getting. The worst thing you can do to your kids, especially those who already have issues, is to raise them to think that the world is going to give them special treatment. If they grow up thinking this, their lives are going to be a lot harder for them then it already is. I know as a parent you just want them to be happy and have a good time, all parents want that for their kids.

Dasnowz

From what I'm hearing, if the photo doesn't seem to match anyone in the party, the CM will have the right to ask for photo ID.

Not possible in new situations due Disney's own ideas. Many people are now going to the park with nothing but a magic band. So if people are not carrying wallets etc.. they won't have photo id on them. And yes I have met several groups who are not taking anything into the parks anymore. They link everything.

Also not everyone has id such as a child or young teen.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not possible in new situations due Disney's own ideas. Many people are now going to the park with nothing but a magic band. So if people are not carrying wallets etc.. they won't have photo id on them. And yes I have met several groups who are not taking anything into the parks anymore. They link everything.

Also not everyone has id such as a child or young teen.
Going anywhere without your ID is a very bad idea.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a federal law that all people over the age of 16 (or is it 18) must carry a government approved ID?
No...but many states do require that you have ID with you at all times....including Florida.
States_with_Stop_and_Identify_Laws.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom