GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Dramatic much?? While his comments were a little off putting basically calling him a bad parent is just as bad. I am sure just like you he didn't mean to be so insulting to others.
I'd recommend reading some of his other comments.....

StarWarsGirl

I am n

I am not saying that some types of autism are not real or severe but most types are nothing more than a behavioral issue which is compounded by Disney's approach. Most of these kids could be trained to behave by a Catholic Nun with a ruler.
Back to my original point...you have never dealt with a child with autism. Try dealing with a twelve year old who is your height, very strong, and whacking you on the head over something that is not your fault. Then try calming that child down or restraining that child. Hitting that child will not work (I've tried, I'm the sister). The best solution is to minimize stress for that child. Hence the GAC or DAS. Less meltdowns happen. Yes meltdowns happen. But if we don't have as many that we have to control and don't have to punish the child as frequently and allow them and us to have an enjoyable vacation, then please, let us use the DAS and go in peace.

Please do not try to speak about a condition you know nothing about.

minninedaisy74

Back to my original point...you have never dealt with a child with autism. Try dealing with a twelve year old who is your height, very strong, and whacking you on the head over something that is not your fault. Then try calming that child down or restraining that child. Hitting that child will not work (I've tried, I'm the sister). The best solution is to minimize stress for that child. Hence the GAC or DAS. Less meltdowns happen. Yes meltdowns happen. But if we don't have as many that we have to control and don't have to punish the child as frequently and allow them and us to have an enjoyable vacation, then please, let us use the DAS and go in peace.

Please do not try to speak about a condition you know nothing about.
So in the case of Disney why would you subject your child to the unnecessary stress that comes with being there if that will be their reaction?

minninedaisy74

Recommending corporal punishment for any child with a disability goes beyond shock value. But to each their own....
I just choose not to get all worked up by a few comments from a stranger on the Internet especially not enough to click the report button or tell them to give their kids up for adoption!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I just choose not to get all worked up by a few comments from a stranger on the Internet especially not enough to click the report button or tell them to give their kids up for adoption!
And others react differently to troglodytic posts, especially if they're from a previously banned member. But as I said, to each their own....

StarWarsGirl

So in the case of Disney why would you subject your child to the unnecessary stress that comes with being there if that will be their reaction?
Not that this is any of your business nor is it your right to question my parents on their decision to take my brother on vacation, but...

Because the benefits outweigh the problems. He comes home talking more, it gives him the opportunity to practice social skills (saying hello and goodbye), and he does have fun. He talks about Disney all of the time. Heck, the school principal knew that my parents were taking him out of school, and because she's seen he does better when he gets back, she excused it (county rule, principals may excuse).

Do you have any idea how tragic it would be for him if we told him "No, you can't go"? For many children, the same is true. They benefit from the stimulation and even if they can't handle a full day in the parks, they manage to have fun. Plus, in his case, the child has been over 30 times, plus he's been travelling since he was a baby. He's used to it. Meltdowns would happen at home too. Usually in his case he only has a meltdown for the first few days and then he is done once he's settled. Heck, we never even needed the GAC until we went to DL over the summer, and between being so excited to get there and being anxious about going to middle school, he was more stressed out. And he wanted to ride RSR so badly, but we were having trouble getting FPs (they were running out at 9:30. I am not exaggerating) and can't take him through the singles line (and God forbid a two hour wait), so we got the GAC for that trip. The rule was that if it was a 30 minute wait or more, we used the pass. Otherwise, we waited in Standby. When we went to WDW in August (right before he started Middle School), we weren't going to get it until we ran into a problem with Goofy's Barnstormer. After that, we got it. And he was less stressed out. My parents will probably get it when they go again in January to keep his stress level low.

My point is that if there is a way for kids to have fun at Disney with accommodations, then by all means, take them and use what's available. There are some children who cannot handle the stimulation, but I'm not going to question any parent on his or her decision to take a child with autism on vacation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A reminder..
fsm9_005403.jpg

Don't feed the wildlife.

minninedaisy74

Not that this is any of your business nor is it your right to question my parents on their decision to take my brother on vacation, but...

Because the benefits outweigh the problems. He comes home talking more, it gives him the opportunity to practice social skills (saying hello and goodbye), and he does have fun. He talks about Disney all of the time. Heck, the school principal knew that my parents were taking him out of school, and because she's seen he does better when he gets back, she excused it (county rule, principals may excuse).

Do you have any idea how tragic it would be for him if we told him "No, you can't go"? For many children, the same is true. They benefit from the stimulation and even if they can't handle a full day in the parks, they manage to have fun. Plus, in his case, the child has been over 30 times, plus he's been travelling since he was a baby. He's used to it. Meltdowns would happen at home too. Usually in his case he only has a meltdown for the first few days and then he is done once he's settled. Heck, we never even needed the GAC until we went to DL over the summer, and between being so excited to get there and being anxious about going to middle school, he was more stressed out. And he wanted to ride RSR so badly, but we were having trouble getting FPs (they were running out at 9:30. I am not exaggerating) and can't take him through the singles line (and God forbid a two hour wait), so we got the GAC for that trip. The rule was that if it was a 30 minute wait or more, we used the pass. Otherwise, we waited in Standby. When we went to WDW in August (right before he started Middle School), we weren't going to get it until we ran into a problem with Goofy's Barnstormer. After that, we got it. And he was less stressed out. My parents will probably get it when they go again in January to keep his stress level low.

My point is that if there is a way for kids to have fun at Disney with accommodations, then by all means, take them and use what's available. There are some children who cannot handle the stimulation, but I'm not going to question any parent on his or her decision to take a child with autism on vacation.
There was no need to be snippy about it I just asked a question . I won't bother reading past your initial comment because obviously you being asked to give some insight on the subject to someone who is not familiar with it is beyond you. So when you are get angry because someone doesn't understand your brothers disability just remember when some one did ask about a particular situation to better understand him you took the snotty approach!

StarWarsGirl

There was no need to be snippy about it I just asked a question . I won't bother reading past your initial comment because obviously you being asked to give some insight on the subject to someone who is not familiar with it is beyond you. So when you are get angry because someone doesn't understand your brothers disability just remember when some one did ask about a particular situation to better understand him you took the snotty approach!
I'm sorry, I've just seen too many people say "Why do you take them then?" on this thread and then be rude about it afterward. I've had enough of it. If you really would like to read about autism and don't care for me to tell you, I would encourage you to visit

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom