Future of Great Movie Ride?

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, my thinking is that you're supposed to be in the movies at that point, not watching them on a screen. I think Fantasia fits just fine, especially since Mickey as the sorcerer's apprentice seems to propel you into the next scene.

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Well I'm glad everyone things it will be sticking around, I was starting to get nervous!

It sounds like there are still some good CMs working this attraction so I must just have bad luck not getting them. It always seems like they aren't on queue with the vehicle or the effects. I think everything before the Oz scene is fine, but including the Oz scene and the couple after need some work. I think they can keep all the scenes the same just some paint and new AA would be great.

joanna71985

Well, my thinking is that you're supposed to be in the movies at that point, not watching them on a screen. I think Fantasia fits just fine, especially since Mickey as the sorcerer's apprentice seems to propel you into the next scene.

The thing is, Fantasia originally wasn't going to be there (it was added in as an afterthought).

FrankLapidus

In my opinion, two of the scene that should go are Tarzan and Fantasia. I'd be ok with replacing Alien as well.

Not Alien!!! :p It's one of my all time favourite films and TGMR isn't complete for me unless I see the amazing trailer before the ride and then move slowly through the Nostromo. I would agree the ride does need updating but I think the films in there are iconic enough that it makes it difficult for me to choose one to remove. Perhaps Tarzan is the one I would go for but from a personal POV, I would hate to see Alien, Indiana Jones, Mary Poppins or Casablanca go anywhere, along with John Wayne.

Spikerdink

When I went earlier this year, the CM barely spoke English....it was a tough sell....I know the ride well, so it did not bother me, but I had newbies with me who would have liked to have heard the entire spiel....GMR does need an upgrade - the script is pretty worn and the CMs of late have been lackluster at best when I rode....

I would even be happy if they changed out the costumes in the que....how many years is the Queen's dress going to be on display?

TDF

From what I heard WDW lost the right to the Chinese theater outside and must get rid of it. Take it with a grain of salt but I would suspect a major outside redo if that is true. I would also expect the ride to get the classic Disney Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Cars Update which I wouldn’t hate if done right and balanced.
- TDF

DisneyJunkie

GMR is one of attractions at DHS with the most potential for upgrades....and yet has been grossly overlooked for too long now. There is a lot that can be done, even if they keep the same genres. There are plenty of other movies in the same genres that can be used for new scenes.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I love GMR but I would like to see the Alien scene replaced with something else. I finally found the R2D2 hieroglyphic but haven't found the Donald Duck one. I have to keep riding to find it!

CP_alum08

Original Poster
From what I heard WDW lost the right to the Chinese theater outside and must get rid of it. Take it with a grain of salt but I would suspect a major outside redo if that is true. I would also expect the ride to get the classic Disney Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Cars Update which I wouldn’t hate if done right and balanced.
- TDF
Like you, take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've heard (read mostly) that the "lost the right to the Chinese theatre" spiel was just a cover up for the "real" reason of the hat, which was re-branding the park. I doubt if we lowly fans will ever know the TURE reason :)

I love GMR but I would like to see the Alien scene replaced with something else. I finally found the R2D2 hieroglyphic but haven't found the Donald Duck one. I have to keep riding to find it!
WHAT?! R2-D2 hieroglyph? Where? ...I assume in the Indiana Jones room, but still...where?!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Like you, take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've heard (read mostly) that the "lost the right to the Chinese theatre" spiel was just a cover up for the "real" reason of the hat, which was re-branding the park. I doubt if we lowly fans will ever know the TURE reason :)

WHAT?! R2-D2 hieroglyph? Where? ...I assume in the Indiana Jones room, but still...where?!

The trouble is I can't remember where in the indy room now. It was to my left somewhere. Sorry!

Turtle

Having the rides having the park movie characters and attractions would be cool. Like Star Wars, Indy Jones, Muppets, Toy Story, Twilight Zone, and Pirates of The Caribbean (Legend of Jack Sparrow coming soon). So guests who don't know those franchises get introduced to the them because in most cases TGMR is first ride that people go to (i'd imagine)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Six films that need Physical Scenes (While I agree with Empress Lily and Endor Sightseer that there's a good chance they could screw up one of the best rides that Disney has ever made, I still question some of the choices in the ride).

Four of films that are feasible within the current Show Building

Charlie Chaplin (The Gold Rush or Modern Times) and George Mélié's A Trip to the Moon replacing footlight parade. An AA Chaplin doing the dinner roll scene would be amazing!! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xoKbDNY0Zwg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=xoKbDNY0Zwg&gl=US

2001: A Space Odyssey replacing Alien. (2001 is one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time ... and it has a two second cutaway in the montage. Imagine the banter between the Gangster/Bandit and HAL!)

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai replacing Tarzan. (Foriegn Cinema is woefully underrepresented in the current ride.)

Two films that won't fit in the ride building.

The Godfather
The wedding and the funeral.

Lawrence of Arabia
No introduction needed.

Can they legally add these movies to the ride? I know they had an agreement with MGM to use their films that is up and there was a lawsuit over whether they could continue to use the MGM name. Would they have to buy the rights to use new films not already represented in the ride? If so I could see new additions being mostly if not all Disney owned. Maybe it's not an issue. Does anyone know?

the.dreamfinder

Can they legally add these movies to the ride? I know they had an agreement with MGM to use their films that is up and there was a lawsuit over whether they could continue to use the MGM name. Would they have to buy the rights to use new films not already represented in the ride? If so I could see new additions being mostly if not all Disney owned. Maybe it's not an issue. Does anyone know?
While I can't answer your question, the films listed are owned by the following companies.

Modern Times/The Gold Rush - The Estate of Charles Chaplain

A Trip To The Moon - Public Domain (Freebie)

2001 - Warner Brothers

Seven Samurai - Toho Corp.

The Godfather - Paramount

Lawrence of Arabia - Sony

From what I recall from articles online about TGMR, Disney has to get the rights to use a films and, in the case of live action films, get the rights to use the likeness of the actors/actresses. Someone else who knows more hopefully will provide more detail, but what I just described is easier said than done.

Magenta Panther

Personally, I don't think ANY R-rated movies belong in a Disney park ride, not even movies like The Godfather. (Assuming people were actually serious when suggesting that it should be included).

Anyway, I think a scene featuring some of the great old-time screen comedians would be a great addition to the ride. Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd (especially if he's depicted hanging off that big clock), Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello (meeting Frankenstein, perhaps)...that could be a great scene. Perhaps the kids from Our Gang could be there too, like Spanky and Alfalfa. Comic actors like those have stood the test of time, and appeal to all ages.

I'd ditch the Tarzan scene; it's too hokey for words. I'd redo the Mary Poppins scene; it's kind of lackluster. The Oz scenes should stay. There should be a Star Wars scene in the ride for sure; I'd suggest a scene with Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewbacca in the Millennium Falcon. They'd be sitting with in the Falcon's flight deck with their backs to us, so that we can see through the viewscreen as the ship blasts into light speed to escape Darth Vader. That scene could replace Alien, which IMO is lame and is very dated.

Gone with the Wind should have a scene too, unless the suits think the movie's too controversial, a la Song of the South. :p

The Fantasia scene should DEFINITELY be plussed. It's so cheaply done it's almost insulting to the movie and Disney. A lusher setting with more scenes from the movie is the least TDO could do for such a signature Disney film.

And as for the movie at the end of the ride...seriously...could it PLEASE be transferred to new film stock or possibly be redone digitally so that it doesn't look like a worn-out film print being shown on a tacky Midnight Movie show on TV???

hellowonderland

I think we can be sure that the Clint Eastwood character will stay the same without speaking.

LOL for days. :)

Hmm, the GMR... I do love it, but I would like to see it completely re-vamped into a more immersive experience (and no Disney, I don't mean using Smart Phones or touch screens). I'd like to see Titanic added, as it's one of the top grossing movies of all time (maybe the kissing at the bow scene -- that could be spectacular, done correctly), also Star Wars (love the idea above about watching them in the Millenium Falcon, also scope to do something in the ice world, Hoth or even on the Death Star).

The guides always make me cringe, and some of the animatronics are just outdated and creepy -- I'd get rid of Tarzan and update Alien (but I'd keep it, it's genuinely scary), also update The Wizard of Oz and get rid of Footlight Magic, etc.

I just think it's a ride with SO much potential, but right now, it's become stale-dated. The movie at the end also needs a complete re-do.

Taylor

Add John Carter;) but seriously add star wars and I really don't want a R rated film but I also want a horror movie so maybe a Alfred Hitchock film?

joanna71985

It's on the left wall, about 2-3 squares up from the bottom (aprox the middle of the room).
great_movie_ride_fun04_large.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom