Future of Great Movie Ride?

CP_alum08

Original Poster
With all these rumors of a big DHS expansion, what do you think will happen to the Great Movie Ride? Will it get a big update along with the expansion or will it get tossed aside to make way for a new attraction?

My GF and I love the GMR but in the past few years it's definitely began to show some wear. Plus it seems like the CMs acting in it keep getting worse and worse. GMR is very much like Jungle Cruise in that a good CM can make a HUGE difference in experience. I'm not too concerned with getting new scenes or upgrading the ending movie to HD, but having good CMs and having their scripts sync up with the attraction better would be a great improvement.

So...thoughts? Do you think it's an attraction dear enough to WDW that it will stick around for a long time?

Turtle

With all these rumors of a big DHS expansion, what do you think will happen to the Great Movie Ride? Will it get a big update along with the expansion or will it get tossed aside to make way for a new attraction?

My GF and I love the GMR but in the past few years it's definitely began to show some wear. Plus it seems like the CMs acting in it keep getting worse and worse. GMR is very much like Jungle Cruise in that a good CM can make a HUGE difference in experience. I'm not too concerned with getting new scenes or upgrading the ending movie to HD, but having good CMs and having their scripts sync up with the attraction better would be a great improvement.

So...thoughts? Do you think it's an attraction dear enough to WDW that it will stick around for a long time?
IMO i'd prefer to lose the whole skipper, update the ride, and put an actual story in it (Not just "a tour of the movies")

wolf359

It's pretty good but add some token new scene(s) and some AA Compliance.

Oh, make sure the building can be seen too.

The Audio-Animatronics should be a priority. While the Wicked Witch was breakthrough technology in 1989 her movements pale compared to the current state of the art and every other figure is more like a store front mannequin than anything else.

Though I have to agree making the building visible again would really help too...

pumpkin7

It desperately needs some love. The only good animatronic in there is the Wicked Witch of the West, but somehow she's one of the oldest animatronics on property isn't she? I honestly believed she was a real person the first time I rode (I was 8 mind you!).
I've never experienced a bad CM on GMR but I can totally see how it would make or break a ride through.
I think the essence the ride itself is fine. It's a ride through of the movies, past and present. It does not need to change from this. It could do with a few updated scenes, however, newer movies, and some of the animatronics need an update (here's looking at you, Ripley!), but other than that I love the attraction as it is.
And yes, moving the hat would help a great deal.

FigmentJack

I'd love to see them dump a few of the less memorable scenes for updated ones.

Replace Footlight Parade with something featuring Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton to touch on the silent era and perhaps swap The Public Enemy with The Godfather.

The Alien section could use some updated AA on the Xenomorphs so they wouldn't look so lifeless.

Finally, swap out the generic horror tomb for something like Night of the Living Dead with a few not so gory zombies. It's a tough section to pull off since Universal owns the classic monster likenesses that wouldn't exactly frighten children and the modern villains like Freddy and Jason are way too scary for the ride - although Freddy cameos in the end movie I believe.

luv

I really enjoy TGMR. ITA about the CMs. Sometimes they really suck and if it were my first time through, I'd think that part was very lame, indeed. But, bad guides aside, I still enjoy the ride. Love the cowboys. :)

And Jungle Cruise has some truly terrible guides.

afar28

I've never experienced a bad CM so I guess I'm lucky, but the ride needs updates animatronics, and maybe a new scene or two

I like that the ride exists as a sort of time capsule of the past of classic and great films, but some of the AAs could certainly use some updating and a few minor tweaks or an additional scene or two wouldn't be unwelcome. That being said, I hope they strive to maintain the integrity of the attraction and keep it mostly intact. It's a classic and should be treated as such. Making it more visible would certainly help.

the.dreamfinder

Six films that need Physical Scenes (While I agree with Empress Lily and Endor Sightseer that there's a good chance they could screw up one of the best rides that Disney has ever made, I still question some of the choices in the ride).

Four of films that are feasible within the current Show Building

Charlie Chaplin (The Gold Rush or Modern Times) and George Mélié's A Trip to the Moon replacing footlight parade. An AA Chaplin doing the dinner roll scene would be amazing!! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xoKbDNY0Zwg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=xoKbDNY0Zwg&gl=US

2001: A Space Odyssey replacing Alien. (2001 is one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time ... and it has a two second cutaway in the montage. Imagine the banter between the Gangster/Bandit and HAL!)

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai replacing Tarzan. (Foriegn Cinema is woefully underrepresented in the current ride.)

Two films that won't fit in the ride building.

The Godfather
The wedding and the funeral.

Lawrence of Arabia
No introduction needed.

Florida_is_hot

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai replacing Tarzan. (Foriegn Cinema is woefully underrepresented in the current ride.)

Few people including me know what that movie is, it is called "Hollywood" Studios and some people wonder why there are few foreign films represented?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom