From Disney to Universal

Minnesota disney fan

One of the easiest ways is to use Mears bus/shared van service if you have 4 people or less. If you have more, use a cab or Uber. Mears service is easy; they reserve a time to depart your resort and time to depart Universal. They pick you up right at the canopy of your resort, wether that is on property or in one of the disney area hotels. If I recall correctly roundtrip was 20.00 per person. Mears Phone number is (407) 423-5566

It sounds like you had a good experience withy Mears.

However, last year we , too, were in the same boat as the OP. We wanted to do one day only at Universal and did not have a car. We decided to use Mears shuttle. The day before, we set up our time to be picked up (7:30am) with the desk at the resort.

The next am we were at the pick up spot at 7:10am, and at 8am it still had not picked us up. We wanted to get to Universal at opening, so we had bell services call us a cab. We didn't use Uber because we don't have a smart phone. The cab worked out great for us. It cost appx 35 to 40 dollars one way, but that was okay for us (2 adults). It was quick, easy, comfortable, and there is a long line of cabs at the exit to Universal in the parking garage, so no problem getting back to the resort. If I had a smart phone, I would probably try Uber, as they are supposed to be much cheaper.

I would never try Mears again, as we found them to be unreliable. We heard this from other sources while at Disney also.
Just my 2 cents worth.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It sounds like you had a good experience withy Mears.

However, last year we , too, were in the same boat as the OP. We wanted to do one day only at Universal and did not have a car. We decided to use Mears shuttle. The day before, we set up our time to be picked up (7:30am) with the desk at the resort.

The next am we were at the pick up spot at 7:10am, and at 8am it still had not picked us up. We wanted to get to Universal at opening, so we had bell services call us a cab. We didn't use Uber because we don't have a smart phone. The cab worked out great for us. It cost appx 35 to 40 dollars one way, but that was okay for us (2 adults). It was quick, easy, comfortable, and there is a long line of cabs at the exit to Universal in the parking garage, so no problem getting back to the resort. If I had a smart phone, I would probably try Uber, as they are supposed to be much cheaper.

I would never try Mears again, as we found them to be unreliable. We heard this from other sources while at Disney also.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I've never used the shuttle but I wonder if this is due to the pick up covering various resorts?
All it would take is one delay at the first stop, to delay everyone else's pick up times.
If that is the case, I wouldn't say they are unreliable.. I would say they should be better at communicating when they are delayed.

Minnesota disney fan

I've never used the shuttle but I wonder if this is due to the pick up covering various resorts?
All it would take is one delay at the first stop, to delay everyone else's pick up times.
If that is the case, I wouldn't say they are unreliable.. I would say they should be better at communicating when they are delayed.

If this is the case, then they are doing something wrong. When you say that you will be at x resort at x time to pick you up, and you don't show or even call after giving ample time, then they are wrong. They know they have to pick people up. They should not agree to a time if they cannot stick to it. A company only has it's reputation, and from what I've heard, and experienced, Mears is not what it should be.
I can only relate what happened to us, but we had been warned, and felt that since it is kind of associated with Disney, it would be okay. It wasn't. So, for us, lesson learned and we will be using a cab or rental car next time. Wish I had a smart phone so I could use Uber, but don't,so..................

BrerJon

If this is the case, then they are doing something wrong. When you say that you will be at x resort at x time to pick you up, and you don't show or even call after giving ample time, then they are wrong. They know they have to pick people up. They should not agree to a time if they cannot stick to it. A company only has it's reputation, and from what I've heard, and experienced, Mears is not what it should be.
I can only relate what happened to us, but we had been warned, and felt that since it is kind of associated with Disney, it would be okay. It wasn't. So, for us, lesson learned and we will be using a cab or rental car next time. Wish I had a smart phone so I could use Uber, but don't,so..................

I've had a couple of times when the Mears shuttle hasn't shown up, once because it went to the wrong Holiday Inn, but every time I've phoned Mears to ask where the bus is, they've dispatched a single taxi to pick me up and take me to the park for the price of the shuttle bus, so it's always worth calling them in case of problems.

thomas998

Depending on how many people are going, the Mears shuttle is probably the least expensive option (excluding Lynx). It's about $19/person roundtrip. Whereas a taxi is going to be between $40 and $50 each way. That said, they tend to have limited morning pick-ups (when I last used the service, they only offered two times to pick me up), but you can return pretty much any time you want (you call them about an hour in advance of the time you want to return). It's pretty easy.
Renting a car might also be a good option... and Enterprise usually offers a free pick-up option where they will pick you up and take you to the car lot. Only thing to remember if you do that is that you will want to get a parking tag from Disney for when you are in the Disney resort/park and that you will have to pay for parking at Universal... But the convenience of being able to come and go at your whim is worth quite a bit to some folks and that is only going to happen if you rent a car.

jloucks

I don't know if 'Mears' refers to the black commercial SUVs that are at some Uni hotels, but those work great and are about $50.

...then taxi back. Finding and uber car in the WDW exit mess is a, well, mess.

Donfan

I'm planning a trip with 12 to 14 people that will include one day at Universal. Any suggestions on the best way to get us all from WDW over to there? Thanks for the help.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I'm planning a trip with 12 to 14 people that will include one day at Universal. Any suggestions on the best way to get us all from WDW over to there? Thanks for the help.
I know that Mears does shuttles, that might be your best bet with such a large group.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom