Former Park Commando

roj2323

This is why I prefer to visit the parks alone usually. Groups like to run from attraction to attraction while I prefer to meander and explore.

I've visited Mk for example at least twice without ever stepping onto an attraction. Mk itself is an attraction. I did eat and relax while people watching however. BTW i'm only 31 so it's not just old people who do this.

Disney Dawg88

I've been reflecting about how my approach to the parks has changed over the years. Years ago, I would run from attraction to attraction the entire day. It was almost like they were a checklist of chores that had to be completed as quickly as possible.

Perhaps I've mellowed with age, but I've learned to savor my time in the parks. Now I get as much enjoyment just sitting on a bench in the Magic Kingdom or browsing the World Showcase shops as I used to when I was in park commando mode.

I was a WDW AP holder for four years, 09-13, and the first year I tried to go on as many rides as possible. After that it turned I to strolling around the parks, soaking everything in, and looking at the architecture of the parks. Occasionally I would go on a ride or two, but I enjoyed walking around with a cold adult beverage in my hands, everywhere but the MK of course ;)

Disneyhead'71

I just think, for me, that it has to do with there just isn't that much in the parks that I would rush to see anymore. But I can assure you that if I ever get a trip to TDR, I would go commando.

DABIGCHEEZ

Never have done the commando thing. We just plan our day or days at one park and move around at our own pace, but staying from open until the nighttime show/Fireworks(usually). We do not park hop after trying that many years ago and feeling that it wasted too much time. We usually spend 1 day at each park and then an additional 1 or 2 days to go back to whichever park the kids want( this year MK and DHS) 14 & 15 YOs just wanted to ride RRC and Tot over and over and over. Usually it is MK and AK that get repeat visits. We also usually go for at least 12 days(often a few more), but we schedule a relaxation/pool/min-golf, or dare I say a day off property at a local nature park day to recharge after a late park day.

DisneyXmas

Used to go commando style starting at pre park opening until the 2-3am closes when fortunate enough. Now it is get up at leisure, get to the parks between 11 and 12 and then commando until a late afternoon break. My 14 year old then hits the pool, I hit the bar for a few. Then back out to dinner and finally clues the parks. Worked great last week the two main days at mk saw 10 fast passes on Sunday in 5 hrs and then Wednesday 14 fast passes in 8 hour, plus countless other rides. When it gets a little to hot it's become time for COP or mickeys philharmagic to cool down and rest

JIMINYCR

Still doing it semi-commando. I have a set plan in mind that I want to accomplish on any one day. So I will attack those major things I want to do first. Then when I've gotten those done I take it slower and enjoy more of my time. After being at WDW multiple times theres no real panic to do it all like I did on those first few trips. It's not so much a slowing down with age as it is a doing it at a more comfortable pace after having done it all before. Now if a whole new park was constructed , I'd get that commando gear back on and attack with a new passion.

Gullywhumper

If you are staying at the parks for multiple days, go to the same park for two days and go commando one day, and then relax the second. That's what I did, lol.

Rogue21

My last trip was with my sister, who hadn't been since the early 80's, so it was go, go, GO! Hardly got a chance to hit the pool bar since we were trying to see everything. At the time, we were both close to 50 -- one on either side -- and I definitley needed a day to recover post vacation.

The next trip will be with my parents, both of them in their mid 70's. Our pace will be much slower, but we try to get to the attractions we all enjoy. My Dad is perfectly content to go from one street performer to the next, finding a bench and relaxing. Hmm, that might be more of a challenge on this trip. :rolleyes:

worldfanatic

Once we bought DVC in 1999, and started going at least every 2 years, we slowed our pace and it's almost like a vacation now. ALMOST
Same with us.
DVC changed everything.
With the knowledge that I'll be back to WDW within the next year or 2, the pace has slowed dramatically, and the enjoyment very much increased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom