Former Park Commando

Iris

Original Poster
I've been reflecting about how my approach to the parks has changed over the years. Years ago, I would run from attraction to attraction the entire day. It was almost like they were a checklist of chores that had to be completed as quickly as possible.

Perhaps I've mellowed with age, but I've learned to savor my time in the parks. Now I get as much enjoyment just sitting on a bench in the Magic Kingdom or browsing the World Showcase shops as I used to when I was in park commando mode.

Clamman73

Agreed. As a teenager, I could never understand why the adults didn't wanna keep moving. My mind set was, "gotta see it ALL!!....TWICE!!" I'm in my mid-forties now......and now I get it. Now I get it.
Oh no...I only have a few years until mid forties. There goes my commando style. :(

CAPTAIN HOOK

I'm beyond mid forties, in fact, my forties have gone :arghh:

The brains still active (actively planning our trip next year), it'll be interesting to see how everything else holds up. The wife wants to do it at a relaxed pace, my eldest and her boyfriend want relaxing (while doing everything), and my youngest (22) wants in your face, do it till you drop.
I'm going to have to keep everyone happy

Weather_Lady

It wasn't until we began to go for two weeks to WDW that we slowed down our pace. I love sitting on a bench in World Showcase and taking it all in.

I'm totally with ya -- for us, it's the amount of time we have, and the fact that we only visit WDW once every 2-3 years, that dictates our pace. Amazingly enough, something as small as a change from a 6-day (5 night) trip to a 7-day (6 night) trip made an enormous difference and allowed us to slow down considerably. We still toured as efficiently as we could, but having an extra day to play with took away the sense of, "this is our only visit to this park, so we have GOT to get EVERYTHING done TODAY!" We stopped and smelled the roses, and it was lovely.

G8rchamps

I tried going commando once, but too much chafing:in pain:.

Honestly our pace depends on how long since the last trip- My wife and I have both gone since we were children and now have DS9 and DD7 - though we do tend to hit it pretty hard most of the time.

epcotisbest

We slowed down years ago and it is the best thing we ever did at WDW. We are blessed to be able to go two to three times per year and had the see it all mentality for a long time before we started to slow down, but looking back, I wish we had slowed down years before we actually did. Now, we see and do much less than before, but surprisingly, enjoy the experience much, much more.

JiminyandTink

I agree that it is much more rewarding to slow down and see less to truly see more.

But strangely enough, I found that my first FP+ experience made me revert back to commando mode a little bit as I was trying to make my scheduled times and leaving an area before I may have been ready to. I think the same approach needs to be taken with FP+, if you get to everything, great, if not, its just fine.

Daniel Johnson

My wife got me back into Disney. I went when very young and once in highschool, but not again until 4 years ago. Since then, we have gone three to four times a year. And I'm in my thirties, so I always plan on seeing everything...but, usually mid day I slow down. It makes it more memorial (for me) to walk slow, and flirt with my wife as we people watch and just enjoy disney world again.

belledream

We hit the parks pretty hard. Usually, twice is not enough for some of the rides. More like 4 or 5 times! Yet we always manage to slow it down in the afternoon when the crowds and the heat gets worse. EPCOT afternoons are always spent perusing World Showcase, and we escape MK on the afternoons. So I guess while we are pretty textbook commando Disney fans, we find the time to relax as well. Then how does the day always go by so fast?! :p

WDWResort

I'm 27 and my gf is 24, it's not so much about the rides for us but just being on vacation. We stroll and walk around while taking everything in. Sure it's nice to get on a ride and we will, but it's all about the weekend getaway. Walk off the amounts of food we eat and just enjoy everything.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Moreso than age, do you think it has to do with having done everything already? I think a first-timer is in commando mode regardless of age...right?
I agree with you about first-timers. Age of travellers, previous visits, and also frequency of visits all play an important part in commando or strolling

JillC LI

I'm in my mid-forties now......and now I get it. Now I get it.

Oh no...I only have a few years until mid forties. There goes my commando style. :(

I'm in my late 50's and haven't slowed down yet. I will sit around when I'm in my 90's

I'm in my mid-40s as well, and I still do Disney as a crazy commando with my family - perhaps more so than anyone else in the family including the teenagers! Here's to our 90s!

I'm totally with ya -- for us, it's the amount of time we have, and the fact that we only visit WDW once every 2-3 years, that dictates our pace.

I have to agree with this. I think that people who enjoy Disney at a slower pace are those who (a) have a long trip planned; or (b) go frequently. We only get to visit every other year or so, and then usually for 4-5 days. So we have a lot to squeeze in to a very short time!

rob0519

I've been reflecting about how my approach to the parks has changed over the years. Years ago, I would run from attraction to attraction the entire day. It was almost like they were a checklist of chores that had to be completed as quickly as possible.

Perhaps I've mellowed with age, but I've learned to savor my time in the parks. Now I get as much enjoyment just sitting on a bench in the Magic Kingdom or browsing the World Showcase shops as I used to when I was in park commando mode.

Wait! You actually found a bench or a place to sit in the Magic Kingdom? How did the bench removal police miss it?

Redsky89

I've been to the parks and only done 1-2 rides for a entire evening. I love strolling along taking it all in. Maybe grab a beer or two and a bite to eat and chill.

roj2323

This is why I prefer to visit the parks alone usually. Groups like to run from attraction to attraction while I prefer to meander and explore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom