Forbidden Journey looking shabby

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Many times on here I have defended that Universal's rides are usually in top show condition, especially when compared to WDW. On my most recent visit, that still held true.... with the exception of Forbidden Journey, oddly enough.

Every screen, whether it be the rotating domes or in the scenes (such as Hermione in the beginning and the students cheering for you at the end) looked too bright, blurry, and washed out. Missing effects. Missing dementors. Basically it looked like how WDW would take care of it. (ouch!)

Which is pretty shocking considering it's their flagship attraction and its about to see another surge in ridership with Diagon Alley opening.

Maybe I just caught it at a bad time?

Also, while I'm at it, I really hate the toned down ride profile. The original wasn't that much more intense but was so much more exciting. More importantly, it made the transitions from scene to screen more convincing, and the newer profile holds you at awkward angles at a few points where you stare at the ride's infrastructure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow that's sad to hear. When did they change the ride profile? It never seemed different to me.
Around a year back. Less lateral shaking for less protein spills. Guests going from 3 axis of movement to virtually none on the moving belt when unloading was a big problem that brought plenty of ride stops. Without going into details.

Not defending things but I know all the projectors have been replaced with better versions and they are constantly being tweaked brightness and contrast wise.

Which Dememtors were missing? That's unforgivable. I'd hope it was an overnight fix. You'd hope all of them would be reinstated but that's never going to happen sadly.

Matpez

Also, while I'm at it, I really hate the toned down ride profile. The original wasn't that much more intense but was so much more exciting. More importantly, it made the transitions from scene to screen more convincing, and the newer profile holds you at awkward angles at a few points where you stare at the ride's infrastructure.
I can actually ride it without feeling as sick. The "toned down" version really only removes a couple of the movements, but for me that make all the difference. I have actually been able to ride without the need to close my eyes for half the ride. FJ is the only ride in Orlando that made me feel sick (not Hulk, Simpsons, Transformers, etc) and because of the rather minor changes I can finally enjoy it.

cheezbat

I can actually ride it without feeling as sick. The "toned down" version really only removes a couple of the movements, but for me that make all the difference. I have actually been able to ride without the need to close my eyes for half the ride. FJ is the only ride in Orlando that made me feel sick (not Hulk, Simpsons, Transformers, etc) and because of the rather minor changes I can finally enjoy it.
What about Mission Space? That's the only one that ever gets to me.

kap91

Which Dememtors were missing? That's unforgivable. I'd hope it was an overnight fix. You'd hope all of them would be reinstated but that's never going to happen sadly.
I feel like this is a really big problem at both Disney and universal stemming from the Internet. These days the second any effect breaks down people post about it online and everyone laments lack of maintenance. Never mind the effect might very well be working the next day. Example: people always talk about the hopping Brer Rabbit not working on splash giving the impression it never works yet I've never seen it not working since 2001ish.

My guess is most of the things your mentioned are temporary- though I was unaware of the new profile. Have to say I'm surprised at hearing Universal's maintenance commended. Can't say historically it's been any good.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universals Maintainence over the last 2-3 years has come on leaps and bounds. TMs now have a reporting system for 3rd shift to work to should anything fail during the day. Effects are all given a figure, and should those added figures reach a certain number the ride closes let alone fixed overnight. TMs are actively encouraged to report everything and any reports and subsequent actions are followed up.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
What bothers me about the new movement is mostly not that its less intense, but that it ruined the effectiveness of some of the transitions. I'm pretty sure that originally the transitions from screen dome to scene and vice versa were a quick snappy movement which gave you kind of a "wait, what?" moment because it flowed really well. Now they kind of gracefully transition which gives you a good look at the edge of the screens and the mechanics on them.
I feel like this is a really big problem at both Disney and universal stemming from the Internet. These days the second any effect breaks down people post about it online and everyone laments lack of maintenance. Never mind the effect might very well be working the next day. Example: people always talk about the hopping Brer Rabbit not working on splash giving the impression it never works yet I've never seen it not working since 2001ish.
I acknowledged that Universal's rides are usually in tip-top shape these days in my OP. With the missing dementors and other effects, I know it's entirely possible that I just caught it on a bad day, but the washed out/blurry/dim projections on the ride have been that way for quite some time.

tahqa

I could have sworn that in a TV commercial last night, June 7th, Universal said that Diagaon Alley was open now.
It's not open nor does it look ready to open anytime in the next few weeks. The dragon is still under wraps and work is still occurring in the front area. There are reportedly issues with the fire mechanism on the dragon that are still being worked. I've also heard from team members that there are issues with the Gringott's ride, but take that as a typical team member rumor.

Mike S

What bothers me about the new movement is mostly not that its less intense, but that it ruined the effectiveness of some of the transitions. I'm pretty sure that originally the transitions from screen dome to scene and vice versa were a quick snappy movement which gave you kind of a "wait, what?" moment because it flowed really well. Now they kind of gracefully transition which gives you a good look at the edge of the screens and the mechanics on them.
I acknowledged that Universal's rides are usually in tip-top shape these days in my OP. With the missing dementors and other effects, I know it's entirely possible that I just caught it on a bad day, but the washed out/blurry/dim projections on the ride have been that way for quite some time.
I rode the ride on the first day it was officially open and I can tell you you were always able to see the edges of the screens during transitions. I really don't know how they could hide them. If you looked over you could also see the mechanism holding the ride vehicle closest to you if you sat on the far left side.

JoeCamel

I was on the right end a couple of weeks ago and was able to see the KUKA as well, it had been a couple of years since I rode it but it seemed less this time. I will look again when I go back for the opening.

JustInTime

It's not open nor does it look ready to open anytime in the next few weeks. The dragon is still under wraps and work is still occurring in the front area. There are reportedly issues with the fire mechanism on the dragon that are still being worked. I've also heard from team members that there are issues with the Gringott's ride, but take that as a typical team member rumor.

Oh no. We are going July 20th. You think we will miss the new land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom