For a land most originally said they weren't interested in ................

L.C. Clench

I suppose only attendance figures will prove that over a period of time? However to your average guest that won't matter one jot, it's the quality and fun had within the land that matters. When I visit 'Pandora' the notion of how many people who've never attended Disney before are going to Pandora that day will have zero interest or effect on whether I enjoy it or not, I'm just going for my own personal fun (hopefully) and won't be conducting surveys on who's a first timer.
You don't spend that kind of money for your core base to say "that was fun". You only do it to increase attendance so whether you have fun or not is irrelevant unless you're planning on increasing the frequency or length of your trips because of this "land".

RSoxNo1

Any major media outlet has their marching orders about how to report the "news". It is all scripted.

Well the news is obviously scripted, what happens here is that these stories are often produced by a single affiliate and sent out to all of the local affiliates as a puff piece of sorts. It happens all the time and most people are unaware until Conan or Kimmell make fun of it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well the news is obviously scripted, what happens here is that these stories are often produced by a single affiliate and sent out to all of the local affiliates as a puff piece of sorts. It happens all the time and most people are unaware until Conan or Kimmell make fun of it.

Not only a network's central office sending out a common script and B-roll to use to all its affiliates, but you also have
  • companies, organizations, lobbyists, PR firms that send out news scripts for the free publicity
  • news services, such as Reuters and AP that send out a news script and B-roll for its subscribers to use
  • and in the case of political reporting, there are "talking points" that politicians and their people want to get out and like-minded news organizations, commentators, pundits, and blogger will repeat
Several hundred local news organizations can't all send out a reporter to the same event. They rely on centralized scripts to repackage for their own local customers. Now, repeating the script word-for-word and not doing the bare minimum of fact-checking, attribution, or creative repackaging is what should be ridiculed.

voodoo321

The people saying that it will have a similar impact to Potter are delusional but it will make a huge difference to a park that needed an extra draw. I will reserve full judgement until I experience it first hand. I'll be there opening weekend but not making a special trip because of Avatar. The kids and I were going down there anyway. The timing is just sort of a coincidence. I am excited to see something new and really want to enjoy it. I have to admit that I have thought all along that Avatar was a dumb idea, for many of the reasons others have stated, so I don't have any extra positivity going in. The only comment that I really wanted to make as an initial judgement is that the land looks "creepy". Personally I like an environment or ride that makes me want to climb in and live in it. This place doesn't do that. I imagine I'll have the feeling that a giant centipede will be crawling up my leg or a giant mosquito will carry off one of my kids. Which, come to think of it, is always a possiblility in Florida anyway.

twebber55

The people saying that it will have a similar impact to Potter are delusional but it will make a huge difference to a park that needed an extra draw. I will reserve full judgement until I experience it first hand. I'll be there opening weekend but not making a special trip because of Avatar. The kids and I were going down there anyway. The timing is just sort of a coincidence. I am excited to see something new and really want to enjoy it. I have to admit that I have thought all along that Avatar was a dumb idea, for many of the reasons others have stated, so I don't have any extra positivity going in. The only comment that I really wanted to make as an initial judgement is that the land looks "creepy". Personally I like an environment or ride that makes me want to climb in and live in it. This place doesn't do that. I imagine I'll have the feeling that a giant centipede will be crawling up my leg or a giant mosquito will carry off one of my kids. Which, come to think of it, is always a possiblility in Florida anyway.
who is saying it will have a potter impact

mergatroid

Original Poster
You don't spend that kind of money for your core base to say "that was fun". You only do it to increase attendance so whether you have fun or not is irrelevant unless you're planning on increasing the frequency or length of your trips because of this "land".

I'm not quite sure what you're discussing to be honest. You made the point that you thought nobody would go to see Pandora who wasn't going to go to Disney World already.

I pointed out that only attendance figures over a period of time could answer that, and I stand by that.

I also said that the average guest visiting won't care about how many other guests have gone because they've gone specifically to see Pandora, I stand by that also. None of that detracts from the fact that only time will tell whether attendances have increased or not?

As for your statement "Whether you have fun or not is irrelevant unless you're planning on increasing the frequency or length of your trips because of this land". Does that mean that if people hate the land and don't have fun then that's irrelevant too? Of course people having fun is relevant, what do you think makes or breaks a theme park?

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

The people saying that it will have a similar impact to Potter are delusional
I will reserve full judgement until I experience it first hand.
By deeming those people "delusional" when they compare it to Potter, you're asserting that it is not comparable to Potter. You're offering judgment as significant as theirs when you do so. Just thought I'd let you know. ;)

I am excited to see something new and really want to enjoy it. I have to admit that I have thought all along that Avatar was a dumb idea, for many of the reasons others have stated, so I don't have any extra positivity going in.
The only comment that I really wanted to make as an initial judgement is that the land looks "creepy". Personally I like an environment or ride that makes me want to climb in and live in it. This place doesn't do that. I imagine I'll have the feeling that a giant centipede will be crawling up my leg or a giant mosquito will carry off one of my kids. Which, come to think of it, is always a possiblility in Florida anyway.
Those aren't comments. They're more judgements. Just thought I'd let you know again. ;)

Feel free to offer more comments/judgement, but at least have the decency to not discount people's comparisons to Potter while you're at it since you're on the whole "I'm reserving judgment" kick. Especially when you're calling the judgment of others "delusional".

Personally, I think Potter does things better than Pandora in most aspects. But quite honestly there are only a couple of "lands" anywhere on earth (only Mysterious Island really comes to mind off the top of my head) that are better than either of them. Diagon, Hogsmeade, Pandora, Carsland (barely), Asia (barely), and Mysterious Island are the only lands I'd place in their own category. Star Wars land will probably be there too, and maybe Nintendo will too. Luckily, more than half of those are in the same region, which happens to be where I live. Good times. :)

Last edited:

voodoo321

Wow! Since apparantly I'm not worthy of making any comments on a discussion board by those who are so obviously more enlightened and sophisticated than I, I'll just go back to checking in on the rumors here and enjoying the parks when I get the chance. I said I would reserve "full' judgement. I never said I wasn't making a judgement. But arguing with message board snobs isn't something I have time to do so bye and good times.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Wow! Since apparantly I'm not worthy of making any comments on a discussion board by those who are so obviously more enlightened and sophisticated than I, I'll just go back to checking in on the rumors here and enjoying the parks when I get the chance. I said I would reserve "full' judgement. I never said I wasn't making a judgement. But arguing with message board snobs isn't something I have time to do so bye and good times.

I really don't believe that poster said that my friend? There's little point getting angry at other people expressing a different opinion to yourself, it's just a debate.

And whilst that posters 'tone' may have seemed a tad harsh, it's probably no worse than you calling others 'delusional'? It's just a debate with strangers, no need to leave the discussion.

kpilcher

Sometimes from an affiliate station, more often a network (CNN, CBS, etc), or a syndicater (Consumer Reports & Ivanhoe Broadcasting for medical reports come to mind). A handful of times there are legal reasons to basically leave the anchor introductions alone. Most of the time it's either laziness or the report was tossed in at the last moment to replace another story. At my station, we try to re-write everything as much as possible.

RandySavage

My turn to be a contrarian.

Went into Potter-IOA a couple years ago with high expectations. It came in well below those expectations. Hogsmeade Village and all its features are outstanding as expected. Then you exit the Village and face the school and the entire right of your direct frontal view is the exposed show-building (and further right the coaster tracks). I had known of this issue but couldn't believe the unthemed showbuilding would be so dominant in the money vista (the equivalent of Shanghai Tron, but less forgivable due to Potter's Scottish Mountains setting). Then comes the FJ queue and things are outstanding again (although Uni goes way, way overboard everywhere in their plain Exit signage... a contagion that WDI is catching). But the ride experience itself... for me it was too chaotic (not physically, but in sequence of events) and the transitions from screen to set were very unconvincing and jarring. My assessment: Potter-IOA land is far from the "hyper-immersive" realm (outside of the village) that it gets credited for.

Potter-Diagon Alley, on the other hand, did meet our high expectations, including the rides. No glaring backstage issues (though similar exiti sign problems). Maybe because there weren't as many sets, and thus jarring transitions, meant Gringotts felt a much more complete and believable experience. Loved that ride.

My point: Wizarding World-IOA is no high bar to pass... a couple dozen existing lands around the world's top tier parks do immersiveness better, including several at Animal Kingdom. From an environment stand-point, I found IOA's Port of Entry to be technically more immersive.

L.C. Clench

I'm not quite sure what you're discussing to be honest. You made the point that you thought nobody would go to see Pandora who wasn't going to go to Disney World already.

I pointed out that only attendance figures over a period of time could answer that, and I stand by that.

I also said that the average guest visiting won't care about how many other guests have gone because they've gone specifically to see Pandora, I stand by that also. None of that detracts from the fact that only time will tell whether attendances have increased or not?

As for your statement "Whether you have fun or not is irrelevant unless you're planning on increasing the frequency or length of your trips because of this land". Does that mean that if people hate the land and don't have fun then that's irrelevant too? Of course people having fun is relevant, what do you think makes or breaks a theme park?
Money makes or breaks everything. I completely agree that attendance figures is the ultimate measure but if people pop in do the two new things then leave I still don't know that it meets the ultimate goal of getting people to stay longer in AK and spend more money.

In terms of fun it still depends on the ultimate impact on the bottom dollar. I thought FEA was fun but if I never ride it again so be it. I also enjoyed 7DMT but I don't want to go back just for that. I also found Stitch to be awful and no semblance of fun but it hasn't prevented me from going back to MK. Fun is important but it isn't as make or break as cash. Not having fun at Stitch doesn't prevent me from spending money but having fun at FEA and 7DMT also hasn't encouraged me to spend more.

L.C. Clench

My turn to be a contrarian.

Went into Potter-IOA a couple years ago with high expectations. It came in well below those expectations. Hogsmeade Village and all its features are outstanding as expected. Then you exit the Village and face the school and the entire right of your direct frontal view is the exposed show-building (and further right the coaster tracks). I had known of this issue but couldn't believe the unthemed showbuilding would be so dominant in the money vista (the equivalent of Shanghai Tron, but less forgivable due to Potter's Scottish Mountains setting). Then comes the FJ queue and things are outstanding again (although Uni goes way, way overboard everywhere in their plain Exit signage... a contagion that WDI is catching). But the ride experience itself... for me it was too chaotic (not physically, but in sequence of events) and the transitions from screen to set were very unconvincing and jarring. My assessment: Potter-IOA land is far from the "hyper-immersive" realm (outside of the village) that it gets credited for.

Potter-Diagon Alley, on the other hand, did meet our high expectations, including the rides. No glaring backstage issues (though similar exiti sign problems). Maybe because there weren't as many sets, and thus jarring transitions, meant Gringotts felt a much more complete and believable experience. Loved that ride.

My point: Wizarding World-IOA is no high bar to pass... a couple dozen existing lands around the world's top tier parks do immersiveness better, including several at Animal Kingdom. From an environment stand-point, I found IOA's Port of Entry to be technically more immersive.
Just out of curiosity but do you usually go to Universal or did you go just to see the Potter stuff?

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

My biggest issue with this entire expansion (and it's been said at least 1 million times) is: Who asked for an area based off Avatar? Who is still interested in a movie that was a pop culture phenomenon for about 3 months and then everyone forgot about it? Like when the expansion was announced back in 2011 I was like "Oh yeah that movie happened". The area looks cool and everything but the way they are treating the merchandise and the preshow for the main ride they are acting as if this is a Potter level property and it isn't. I get that there are like 4 sequels on the way but Avatar is such a weird choice for an IP for a theme park. Also am I the only one who thinks the tails they are selling in the shops to be rather awkward considering that those are the Navi's genitals?

Quinnmac000

People are allowed to dislike something for whatever reasons they deem necessary. Are we all not free thinkers? Personally this land isn't for me due to some social commentary I see coming out the land that I don't agree with and secondly when it comes to certain environments I like to be surrounded with real nature not mixture of artificial. But someone else is allowed to love it and think its the best thing ever. I don't see why everyone needs to agree otherwise if everyone was like oh this place is so great this entire forum would be unnecessary as there truly would be nothing to discuss.

I do think young children will probably love this land way more than any other age group.

Rich T

Personally, I find the Na'vi boring beyond belief as characters, and that's a huge minus for me for the entire land. The boat ride looks pretty... pretty preachy! (Kidding...kinda.) As a West Coaster, I'd check out Pandora if I had time to spare if I happened to be at WDW anyway, but it wouldn't be top priority--and definitely not something I'd plan a trip around.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Personally, I find the Na'vi boring beyond belief as characters, and that's a huge minus for me for the entire land. The boat ride looks pretty... pretty preachy! (Kidding...kinda.) As a West Coaster, I'd check out Pandora if I had time to spare if I happened to be at WDW anyway, but it wouldn't be top priority--and definitely not something I'd plan a trip around.

That's fair enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom