Trip Report Food & Wine with a Long Line, but plenty of Sunshine! (and beer)

Trip reports are great and there's so much to know...
climb aboard explorers, its time to gooooo!

Welcome everyone to my overdue trip report! Apologies again for the delay and for a complete lack of updates and pics while we were actually in WDW, but there was a reason for that. Well, it was actually due to a mistake but we turned it into something new for us in terms of this TR. Allow me to explain. About an hour after we were on the road my wife turns to me and asks, "did you grab the camera bag out of the office"? I paused, then slowly turned my head to look at her as my bottom lip rolled up against my teeth in the manor which you make an 'F' sound. It was like the scene in the movie Christmas Story when Ralphie slowly says, "ffffffffudge". Although I didnt say fudge, well neither did Ralphy actually, but anyway... we realized that we had left our camera back at home. Ugggghhhhhh!:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: There was no way I was turning around since we were already an hour into the trip. We both had our phones and we figured it would have to do.

Then she drops another bomb on me. She reminds that her phone memory is full and she cant take pictures. She had an issue syncing her iphone to her laptop to transfer pics and after a long call with tech support they told her she would have to bring her phone in and they would take care of it. Of course she hadnt brought it in yet which left us with one phone capable of taking pictures for the trip. I recently upgraded to the LG 4 (or whatver its called) and it has a great camera and decent battery. In that moment, my phone became Obi-Wan Kenobi because....it was our only hope! So after a short discussion we decided that the best plan was to take pictures and video and conserve battery whenever we could which would mean not going online to often, especially Instagram, which for some reason is a battery killer for my phone. No Instagram!:bawling::bawling::arghh::arghh: This was gonna be tough, lol. Then my idea for this TR was born. We wanted to take more videos this trip for Food and Wine and I proposed that we do a mash up of a normal TR mixed in with some videos and reviews. We thought when we returned home we could do a video review of both of us going over the events of the day as well since we wouldnt be able to get everything on film in the event my phone died during the day (which it did, EVERYDAY!)

So thats how this bad boy is gonna roll! We will write a summary of the day with pics and then add our video at the end which will be us at home going over the day. We made the first video last night and had a lot of fun. It took several attempts because Akira and the cats decided to all act up once we started (youll see in the video). But if anybody doesnt like videos or doesnt want to watch, I understand. But if you wanna get to know us a little better, give the vid a try. Hope you guys like it! Im gonna post this part now and then begin day writing day one and post it within the hour. Sorry for no pics in this part, I just wanted to explain what we would be doing. There is plenty of good stuff ahead, dont worry!

catmom46

Perhaps some SB will revive this much-anticipated TR? :p

Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, brewed by JosephsBrau, 5.2% ABV. Boo-yah!!

image.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
So I guess ive built up enough suspense and I will finally get back to this TR, lol. I hope everybody hasnt forgotten. I just went through it and realized we were only on day 2 when I stopped. Sorry for the delay. Life just got busy and Ive been spending waaaaaay to much time arguing about Frozen in Norway. The News and Rumors threads can really suck you in. Even though its been 6 months since my last post, it feels like a decade since we were there last October. As much as we want to go back this year, we will probly wait until next year or maybe, just maybe we will take a quick trip towards end of year. We were kicking around the idea of a resort only trip at AKL, but who are we kidding, we would break down on day one and go to the parks.

Quick update: Akira is now 9 months old and getting bigger still. She is doing great and getting a lil cocky now that shes developing some serious muscle.
Screenshot_2016-04-20-07-50-04.png

Alrighty then, back to the trip...from last October!

We left off with our check in at the room. As I mentioned, it was a bit frustrating waiting forever for a room, but it worked out well in the end. We had headed to Epcot in hopes of having some Food and Wine Festival action, but the booths were packed so we got chicken fingers and then headed towards the MK resorts for our Monorail Beer Crawl! Our beer crawl will consist of "crawling" along the MK monorail resorts with a stop in at least 2 bars at each resort, for a total of 6 bars. We figured starting at Contemporary and ending at GF would be perfect as we could just go straight to MK after. If we hadnt blacked out by then. haha... Shes Italian and Im Irish, so it was a battle for our heritage!!!!

We started at Contemporary. The Plan was to hit The Wave and then Outer Rim. We made our way down the escalator and entered the bar area to see a packed house. One of our biggest pet peeves at WDW is KIDS AT THE BAR!!!! I dont care that its WDW and how much you paid and you feel you deserve to do what you want. Sitting your kid at a bar where adults will be drinking is just plain ignorant and I dont want to have to watch my language because you didnt make an ADR and now the kids are at the bar eating mac and cheese while Mom and Dad pound a box of Franzia. GTFOH with that!

After shaking our heads at the situation we decided to wait a few minutes as we saw a couple getting their bill. They left shortly after and we snagged two seats. I ordered a blonde ale (cant remember what brewery) and my wife got a Stoli on the rocks. Even though its a beer crawl, I didnt mind her getting vodka.
20151017_205100.jpg

We chatted with the bartender who felt the same way about kids at the bar as we do. She was more polite about it than us and said that the one benefit is that they usually order more food which makes the bill a bit higher. The Wave has a great bar area in our opinion. We enjoyed it very much even with kids all around. Fair prices and Its got a casual vibe with with that Contemporary flare as well. I snapped a picture of the violators across the bar from us. Mom and Dad with 3 kids.

20151017_205522.jpg

We debated ordering a second round but finished our drinks and walked up to Outer Rim. It was our first visit to The Wave and we liked it. We will definitely go back.

So with our first bar out of the way, we made it to stop number two, Outer Rim. We got a nice seat by the window. Outer Rim is nothing fancy but has a great atmosphere. We ordered two Hefeiweizens and enjoyed the views from within the A frame of the Contemporary. The sights and sounds make it a great experience. Chef Mickeys is right next door and you catch the occasional sound of songs and shenanigans going on in there. We casually sipped our beers and talked about our past trips and plans yet to come on our current trip. Whenever we start drinking we get heavy on the reminiscing.
20151017_211039.jpg
20151017_210958.jpg

I took a picture with the menu so we had proof we were actually there. I didnt realize the Outer Rim sign was right behind me. We didnt want to have too many drinks at Contemporary so after our beers we jumped on the monorail to make our way to resort #2, the Polynesian. We will be hitting Captain Cooks and then Tambu Lounge!

Of course there was only one monorail running on the resort loop so we waited about twenty minutes for Monorail Red to return. Not a problem for us as we needed the time to let the booze wear off...or soak into our bloodstreams more. Not sure how that works. I made short videos before each monorail jump. Here is the first.

We arrived at Polynesian and the weather was great. Tambu Lounge was our first stop. e had a beer upstairs and got the second round to have down in the new lobby and soak it in. The debate still rages on about the Polly Lobby. I prefer the old one. It was just better. Plain and simple. I can live with the new one, but please dont try and tell me its better. My wife liked it, But the doom and gloom is not as strong in her as it is me, lol.

20151017_215013.jpg

For some reason I neglected to realize that we were still going to Captain Cooks and said "next stop Mizners". Apologies for the inaccuracy, but hey, I was drinking!

Se we walked out to CC's and grabbed a Red Stripe lager and an order of what is in our top 3 nachos on property. The Pork nacho with pineapple!

20151017_220834.jpg

Heres an up close shot of the nachos

20151017_221112.jpg

Just looking at that makes my mouth water as I write this. We dove right in and they were gone in no time.

20151017_220852.jpg

My wife opted out of having a beer to avoid a stomach ache. We devoured our nachos and if memories serves we caught a glimpse of the fireworks from MK. The patio seating at Captain Cooks is nice and relaxing. The pool is close by, the views are great and plenty of palm trees to make you feel like your on the islands.

I have fond memories of my brother and I being at Captain Cooks as kids (in the early 90s) and having breakfast or getting a late night snack. As much has changed, it still has the same feel to me. Fewer places still have this feeling for me, so I hold onto them dearly!

Ok. Ill get back to stop 3 at GF later on. Wanted to post all of this before my computer does a random restart or something. Thanks for following along!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yea! You're back to your TR!! :joyfull:

First comment: Akira is amazing. OMG--what a BEAUTIFUL dog she has grown into. How is her training coming along? Is she done yet, or are you training her in a more advanced manner? (I think a long time ago you mentioned you wanted a family/guard dog, and you were very careful about your dog selection. So I was just wondering if she was done with her training.) Anyway, I love the picture!! Thank you! :)

I was surprised to read about kids at a bar (or cocktail lounge) with their parents. I agree--this is not where kids should be. I don't go to the bars/lounges at WDW, (I'm boring . . . ;) ), so I was unaware that children were there. I think there should be an over 18 rule (or whatever the serving age is in Florida). Adults, particularly couples like yourself and your wife, need a nice bar/lounge for a relaxing break from the chaos in the parks.

Had a chuckle over your video comments about the Poly lobby. :p I'm going to WDW for my yearly visit in mid-May for 4 days; and one thing I want to do, is hop the monorail over to the Poly to see the (desecration . . :cautious: of the once-awesome lobby . . .). I must be a glutton for punishment, because even though I've seen many photos on the forum, I just have to see it for myself?! :rolleyes: :eek:

fractal

So I guess ive built up enough suspense and I will finally get back to this TR, lol. I hope everybody hasnt forgotten. I just went through it and realized we were only on day 2 when I stopped. Sorry for the delay. Life just got busy and Ive been spending waaaaaay to much time arguing about Frozen in Norway. The News and Rumors threads can really suck you in. Even though its been 6 months since my last post, it feels like a decade since we were there last October. As much as we want to go back this year, we will probly wait until next year or maybe, just maybe we will take a quick trip towards end of year. We were kicking around the idea of a resort only trip at AKL, but who are we kidding, we would break down on day one and go to the parks.

Quick update: Akira is now 9 months old and getting bigger still. She is doing great and getting a lil cocky now that shes developing some serious muscle.
View attachment 138549

Alrighty then, back to the trip...from last October!

We left off with our check in at the room. As I mentioned, it was a bit frustrating waiting forever for a room, but it worked out well in the end. We had headed to Epcot in hopes of having some Food and Wine Festival action, but the booths were packed so we got chicken fingers and then headed towards the MK resorts for our Monorail Beer Crawl! Our beer crawl will consist of "crawling" along the MK monorail resorts with a stop in at least 2 bars at each resort, for a total of 6 bars. We figured starting at Contemporary and ending at GF would be perfect as we could just go straight to MK after. If we hadnt blacked out by then. haha... Shes Italian and Im Irish, so it was a battle for our heritage!!!!

We started at Contemporary. The Plan was to hit The Wave and then Outer Rim. We made our way down the escalator and entered the bar area to see a packed house. One of our biggest pet peeves at WDW is KIDS AT THE BAR!!!! I dont care that its WDW and how much you paid and you feel you deserve to do what you want. Sitting your kid at a bar where adults will be drinking is just plain ignorant and I dont want to have to watch my language because you didnt make an ADR and now the kids are at the bar eating mac and cheese while Mom and Dad pound a box of Franzia. GTFOH with that!

After shaking our heads at the situation we decided to wait a few minutes as we saw a couple getting their bill. They left shortly after and we snagged two seats. I ordered a blonde ale (cant remember what brewery) and my wife got a Stoli on the rocks. Even though its a beer crawl, I didnt mind her getting vodka.
View attachment 138560

We chatted with the bartender who felt the same way about kids at the bar as we do. She was more polite about it than us and said that the one benefit is that they usually order more food which makes the bill a bit higher. The Wave has a great bar area in our opinion. We enjoyed it very much even with kids all around. Fair prices and Its got a casual vibe with with that Contemporary flare as well. I snapped a picture of the violators across the bar from us. Mom and Dad with 3 kids.

View attachment 138561

We debated ordering a second round but finished our drinks and walked up to Outer Rim. It was our first visit to The Wave and we liked it. We will definitely go back.

So with our first bar out of the way, we made it to stop number two, Outer Rim. We got a nice seat by the window. Outer Rim is nothing fancy but has a great atmosphere. We ordered two Hefeiweizens and enjoyed the views from within the A frame of the Contemporary. The sights and sounds make it a great experience. Chef Mickeys is right next door and you catch the occasional sound of songs and shenanigans going on in there. We casually sipped our beers and talked about our past trips and plans yet to come on our current trip. Whenever we start drinking we get heavy on the reminiscing.
View attachment 138562 View attachment 138563

I took a picture with the menu so we had proof we were actually there. I didnt realize the Outer Rim sign was right behind me. We didnt want to have too many drinks at Contemporary so after our beers we jumped on the monorail to make our way to resort #2, the Polynesian. We will be hitting Captain Cooks and then Tambu Lounge!

Of course there was only one monorail running on the resort loop so we waited about twenty minutes for Monorail Red to return. Not a problem for us as we needed the time to let the booze wear off...or soak into our bloodstreams more. Not sure how that works. I made short videos before each monorail jump. Here is the first.

We arrived at Polynesian and the weather was great. Tambu Lounge was our first stop. e had a beer upstairs and got the second round to have down in the new lobby and soak it in. The debate still rages on about the Polly Lobby. I prefer the old one. It was just better. Plain and simple. I can live with the new one, but please dont try and tell me its better. My wife liked it, But the doom and gloom is not as strong in her as it is me, lol.

View attachment 138625

For some reason I neglected to realize that we were still going to Captain Cooks and said "next stop Mizners". Apologies for the inaccuracy, but hey, I was drinking!

Se we walked out to CC's and grabbed a Red Stripe lager and an order of what is in our top 3 nachos on property. The Pork nacho with pineapple!

View attachment 138622

Heres an up close shot of the nachos

View attachment 138623

Just looking at that makes my mouth water as I write this. We dove right in and they were gone in no time.

View attachment 138624

My wife opted out of having a beer to avoid a stomach ache. We devoured our nachos and if memories serves we caught a glimpse of the fireworks from MK. The patio seating at Captain Cooks is nice and relaxing. The pool is close by, the views are great and plenty of palm trees to make you feel like your on the islands.

I have fond memories of my brother and I being at Captain Cooks as kids (in the early 90s) and having breakfast or getting a late night snack. As much has changed, it still has the same feel to me. Fewer places still have this feeling for me, so I hold onto them dearly!

Ok. Ill get back to stop 3 at GF later on. Wanted to post all of this before my computer does a random restart or something. Thanks for following along!

Loved the video. Don't get much better than that.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Continued...

So we left Poly and jumped on the monorail for stop #3 at Grand Floridian. Only made one stop here and that was Mizners. it was getting late and we wanted to make sure we had a decent amount o time to enjoy MK. My wife decided not to have a beer at GF either so I was on my own again. Keep in mind I had already had a few beers at Epcot before we started so by the time the monorail crawl was done, I was about ten beers deep. I barely remember much after GF so its a good thing i took the videos. Mizners was crowded so I grabbed a beer and we decided that just making a final video would be easier, plus wifey wanted to get to MK.

I wanted to get this posted before I left today, so Ill get back to our MK adventures later.....Thanks for following along everybody!!!!!

jaklgreen

Just got caught up on your trip report. I go every year in Oct for the F&WF and love that time of year. I do not have an I phone but I have, in the past with my phone, emailed my pictures to myself and then deleted them from the phone. That way you can still get them on your computer if it is not syncing up. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom