First use of MyMagic+ long-range MagicBand capabilities begins tomorrow at all four parks

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So the long range capability is basically just linking on ride-photos to the users MDE account. And you must have the memory maker package to have the capability. Are there other capabilities coming soon? I dont really see this making much more money for them than it already is.

DVCPluto

Pretty cool! Any idea how they know when you get on the ride, since the FP+ entrance isn't directly in the ride loading zone?

I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong - do you still need to go to the ride photo counter and have them scan your MB?

Last edited:

nolatron

So the idea is you can get of the ride and just walk on by the photos and your photo is automatically linked to the band. My only concern would be how can you verify that that actually happened, other than standing in line at the counter?

Maybe something like having the abilty check your memory package photos on the Disney App has they get linked or something to see what has been linked to your band. That way if a photo isn't there you can go back and get it.

MarFV

Pretty cool! Any idea how they know when you get on the ride, since the FP+ entrance isn't directly in the ride loading zone?

I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong - do you still need to go to the ride photo counter and have them scan your MB?

It sounds to me like there will be RFID readers on the ride in the area where the photo was taken. The system will recognize that you are on the ride. If you purchased Memory Maker, the pic will automatically show up in your account. It does not seem like a visit to the counter will be necessary.

randyrut

We got the Memory Maker for our upcoming trip in August. This sounds like it would be wonderful, but I am just nervous to trust it. How would we know that it really linked to our accounts? Can we access them immediately on our phone to see? I wouldnt want to miss a photo just because their technology said I should trust it, when I really shouldnt.

arko

So the long range capability is basically just linking on ride-photos to the users MDE account. And you must have the memory maker package to have the capability. Are there other capabilities coming soon? I dont really see this making much more money for them than it already is.

its one of the things the long range readers can do. Basically think of anything where Disney would want to know who you are without you having to tap the RFID reader. Disney can actually use this in multiple ways, some to provide unique personalized experiences(whatever that may be) or the use some people are more worried about, which is tracking your movements within the park, to either profile you personally for more CRM opportunities, or for metadata type analysis on things like traffic patterns etc.

And by tracking I mean gathering your ID as you walk past readers in the park. The RFID chips do not provide an actual way to track you unless you walk by the reader.And even then all they get is that your magic band walked by a certain spot at a certain time.

DisneyDebRob

I'm not a fan of this whole system but I guess the more you can do with it like this, makes it better in the long run. But please, work the bugs out of what you have already before expanding what it will do. I spent way to much time in lines last month fixing things that should have been automatic. My cousin just got back last week and 2 days he couldn't get back in his room and another day they lost all his fast passes.
It's like a theme park letting a ride go to long without maintenance and deciding to build another ride with bells and whistles to silence the people yelling to fix the yeti... Oh wait.. Never mind.

disney4life2008

I do not want my photo taken and linked to MM+. Neither do I want Mickey or anyone else calling out my name in Haunted Mansion. And this will not make me spend more money. While the MB is convenient - I did not spend anymore money than I have in years past. Actually I did - I had to purchase a mug and purchase the length of stay pass to go with it so I was out $30 or so. And yet again in August - I have to purchase another mug and another length of stay pass. And in November - another mug. January another mug, lol - you get my point.

They keep sending out all these MBs - they should have left the pop machines along! Sorry that was a non related rant, lol

WDWDad13

Interesting I'm here now and with memory maker....I'll have to see how this goes

Also this makes me wonder if they will finally begin using those monitors at the end of small world that are currently covered

arko

I do not want my photo taken and linked to MM+. Neither do I want Mickey or anyone else calling out my name in Haunted Mansion. And this will not make me spend more money. While the MB is convenient - I did not spend anymore money than I have in years past. Actually I did - I had to purchase a mug and purchase the length of stay pass to go with it so I was out $30 or so. And yet again in August - I have to purchase another mug and another length of stay pass. And in November - another mug. January another mug, lol - you get my point.

They keep sending out all these MBs - they should have left the pop machines along! Sorry that was a non related rant, lol

How did you have to purchase a length of stay mug?

GrumpyFan

While some may see this as Disney/Mickey tracking their every move, I see lots of potential here. Sure, some of it might mean you/we give up some personal information, but the way I see it is, the more they know about how guests make their way thru the parks, the more they can refine and tailor to improve the experience. How, you ask? Well, for one they can improve traffic flow by re-directing guests to different areas that might not be as crowded. They could potentially offer customized, pre-planned touring plans that make the most efficient use of the time in the park. Hungry, looking for something to eat without a long line, they could do this too. Or, maybe you plan to take a mid-day break or park hop, you could schedule your time, or pick a time and have a bus/boat waiting to take you back to your resort or to another park.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It sounds to me like there will be RFID readers on the ride in the area where the photo was taken. The system will recognize that you are on the ride. If you purchased Memory Maker, the pic will automatically show up in your account. It does not seem like a visit to the counter will be necessary.
Long range would mean without RFID readers completely. right? I would think it would track the bands on specific train cars and once you exit, that information would link to your Memory Maker.

WDWFantasmicFan

Great! More the reason for us to buy Magic Bands when we go I'm August!!! :) will be much easier than queuing to link ride photos! What other things are expected from the long range RFID (apart from the screens at the end of Its A Small World)????

arko

Long range would mean without RFID readers completely. right? I would think it would track the bands on specific train cars and once you exit, that information would link to your Memory Maker.

no the MB has 2 chips, one is a short range chip which uses the reader to generate the power to send its info, this is the one that is used by the park gates, FP+ and hotel rooms. It has a second chip that is powered by a small battery that emits a signal that can be read by readers placed up to 10 meters away. The close range chip will basically last forever(theoretically). the long range chip will cease transmitting after about 1.5 years.

Violiav

I was actually wondering about this. Any idea on when people who don't buy into memory maker will have access to ride photos after the fact? I'd consider but maybe one or two ride photos if they were really neat (i.e has all 6 of us). But it's not something I wanna do on the spot. You know?
Also- how do they just delete all of your fastpasses? I've not some issues with no information show, but that's due to connection speed, not a malicious act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom