First Time @ Contemporary Resort

jrogue

Original Poster
Hi all!

My sister and I are staying at the Contemporary Resort for the first time ever. We've been to WDW 20+ times, and have stayed at the Polynesian most of those times so we know the basics. Are there any other useful tips or tricks for the Contemporary, though? I know the Poly used to have the torch lighting ceremony at 6pm. That was an awesome added bonus. Is there any cool semi-secret event like that at the Contemporary?

Any advice/tips/tricks/anything would be much appreciated! I want to make this trip as special as possible for us, since it is the first time we are taking a vacation together by ourselves! (usually we have friends, parents, or our significant others with us!)

Also, for giggles, here we are on Space Mountain. It was her first time on it! :hilarious:
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.22.41 AM.png

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

One of the things that I love about the Contemporary is that you can easily walk to and from the MK. We love being able to leave the park after Wishes in the mad crowds and walk past the buses and be to our resort in 10 minutes.

jrogue

Original Poster
One of the things that I love about the Contemporary is that you can easily walk to and from the MK. We love being able to leave the park after Wishes in the mad crowds and walk past the buses and be to our resort in 10 minutes.
I've heard about the walkway -- I'll definitely need to find that once we are there! We love the monorail, but will probably prefer to walk to and from the MK and just use the monorail when we're going to Epcot or the Poly. Sounds like it will be quicker than waiting and going around the whole lake! Thanks!

belledream

Nice! Thanks! So that's open to anyone staying at the resort, then?
It's actually open to everyone, so I wouldn't exactly call it 'exclusive' or 'secret', but the past few times we've done it, crowds have been minimal. There's like 3 rows of 10 seats of so right at the edge of the balcony if you get there an hour ahead of time, you can snag and just enjoy the breeze and ambiance. :)

Of course, DVC members can view from Top of the World Lounge and such.

jrogue

Original Poster
It's actually open to everyone, so I wouldn't exactly call it 'exclusive' or 'secret', but the past few times we've done it, crowds have been minimal. There's like 3 rows of 10 seats of so right at the edge of the balcony if you get there an hour ahead of time, you can snag and just enjoy the breeze and ambiance. :)

Of course, DVC members can view from Top of the World Lounge and such.
Great to know! Thanks so much again!! :)

Epcotfan21

Highly recommend eating at California Grill. Even if you can't snag a reservation, with it being just the two of you, you should easily be able to get 2 seats at the bar and from there you can order off of the main menu just as one else would.

rob0519

I agree with everything said so far. One of the drawbacks I find is the Comtempo Café closes at Midnight. If the MK is open late there is not place to get a drink or a late night snack when you get back to the resort. They had a 24 hour quick serve years ago before the resort was remodeled.

jrogue

Original Poster
One of the drawbacks I find is the Comtempo Café closes at Midnight. If the MK is open late there is not place to get a drink or a late night snack when you get back to the resort.
Good to know! I guess we'll be buying our snacks early! Is Captain Cooks in the Poly still 24 hour? (Haven't been in 3 years, not sure if it changed but online it still says 24hr) because if we are truly that hungry we could always hop over there ... although now that I think of it if the monorail and the boats aren't running it might be more of a hassle.

Highly recommend eating at California Grill. Even if you can't snag a reservation, with it being just the two of you, you should easily be able to get 2 seats at the bar and from there you can order off of the main menu just as one else would.
Thanks! I've heard great things about the Grill. We have most of our ADRs booked, but I will see if she is open to switching things around and trying this restaurant.

SyracuseDisneyFan

I hope you have a good time. Having the ability to walk to Magic Kingdom's definitely a plus. Also, you cab get coffee if you want from the Contemporary Grounds on the first floor.

Pghdrumr

my favorite resort. Just the fact that I can exit the monorail, up the elevator and in my room quickly after a long day at MK, is worth the stay at CR. If you have a MK view room, make sure to view wishes from your room. The music is broadcast through the TV.

s&k'smom

We stayed for the first time last November and loved it. It's a huge resort but once you get your bearings it's great. If you are like me and watch the sun come up go to the 4th floor and the walkway between the DVC and CR you can look over Bay Lake and see it come up, it's a gorgeous view. And I agree after wishes to be able to take a 10 min walk to the resort is the best.

jrogue

Original Poster
I'm going to the contemporary in April and this also will be my first time :D
That's awesome! :) I hope you have a great time!

Also, you cab get coffee if you want from the Contemporary Grounds on the first floor.
Nice! :D Just looked up their menu and it looks like they have a pretty decent selection of different types of coffee. My sister is going to love their smoothies!

Just the fact that I can exit the monorail, up the elevator and in my room quickly after a long day at MK, is worth the stay at CR. If you have a MK view room, make sure to view wishes from your room. The music is broadcast through the TV.
That definitely sounds like it's going to be a major plus! That's one of the things we loved so much about the Poly -- being on the monorail and being able to get home so quickly. We have a garden view room currently, but that's a good tip in case we get upgraded for whatever reason! :)

If you are like me and watch the sun come up go to the 4th floor and the walkway between the DVC and CR you can look over Bay Lake and see it come up, it's a gorgeous view.
Ohh my goodness I didn't even think of this!! Yes!!! :D I imagine that would make for some beautiful photos as well!

glvsav37

If you get up super early, before the pool opens. Go down and grab a seat outside by the snackbar. Eventually, the life guards will come out and hold their "Pool Opening Ceremony" which consists of them doing silly things like throwing an imaginary rope up the slide and all pulling until the water comes down, and helping the water spouts rise to full strength. It's a very cute show that I caught completely by accident while I was waiting for the boat rental place to open.

I don't think its exclusive to the Contemp though, I heard other resort guard teams do something similar.

Sorry for the bad video, it caught me off guard.

jrogue

Original Poster
If you get up super early, before the pool opens. Go down and grab a seat outside by the snackbar. Eventually, the life guards will come out and hold their "Pool Opening Ceremony" which consists of them doing silly things like throwing an imaginary rope up the slide and all pulling until the water comes down, and helping the water spouts rise to full strength. It's a very cute show that I caught completely by accident while I was waiting for the boat rental place to open.
What!!!!? That's adorable! Thank you for this great tip! :) I'll definitely check that out, as I've never even heard of it before!

Tinkerkelle

LOVED the Contemporary. The MK walkway, monorail access and Contempo Cafe are fab, as said. They have resort pressed penny machines in the lobby for a cheap souvenir and we really enjoyed watching the electric water pageant from the dock. Our CM at check-in was FAB. So funny and lovely. We were talking about the halloween parties and the amazing costumes. He told us that the previous evening a man had walked through reception dressed as the monorail complete with sound effects-love it! We spent ages longer at check-in than needed because we were so enjoying his chat. We came back to our room after our 1st day to a tray of gorgeous disney mini cupcakes and a white chocolate monorail. We assumed they'd been delivered to the wrong room so called reception who said they were "from the hotel" and would have been arranged by a CM. The girl we spoke to couldn't say who but we assume it was the amazing check-in CM - total disney fabness! Have a great trip!

s&k'smom

That's awesome! :) I hope you have a great time!

Nice! :D Just looked up their menu and it looks like they have a pretty decent selection of different types of coffee. My sister is going to love their smoothies!

That definitely sounds like it's going to be a major plus! That's one of the things we loved so much about the Poly -- being on the monorail and being able to get home so quickly. We have a garden view room currently, but that's a good tip in case we get upgraded for whatever reason! :)

Ohh my goodness I didn't even think of this!! Yes!!! :D I imagine that would make for some beautiful photos as well!
It really does, plus there are seats on the CR side right outside the door and you can watch the other side where MK is and watch the world wake up. Honestly I would spend every morning there of our trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom