First time at Disney- help needed on hotels

Rumrunner

Hi Everyone,
I have never been to Disney World and we are going to book to go this Christmas. Around 22nd Dec for 5-7 days.
Will be myself my 3 year old and my parents in mid 50's. It's all about the little one so the trip will be all geared towards her so from what I can see Fantasyland will be a favourite. I have no idea what I'm doing regards the hotels. What's the distance of them from the parks? Would we have to drive ? Example - what's the nearest hotel to Fantasyland?
Where would u stay with a 3 year old and parents who would probably prefer a more sophisticated hotel for them to enjoy rather than a children's theme one ?
Thanks for your help. The bookings left to me and I want to get it right as need to please everyone with the hotel! X
If you choose a Disney resort, the transportation to and from the park is convenient, easy to use and part of the resort services.
We have had great luck at Coronado Springs with small children. We were never concerned about the theme of the resort because we spent most of our time at the parks and very little in our rooms. My only concern about the additional expense of staying at a Disney hotel is the fact that the operating hours at MK and other parks continues to drop.

rob0519

Yes I am more than fully aware. I offered suggestions directly based on the criteria the OP asked for. The OP asked for a sophisticated hotel close to Fantasyland (MK) not asking for the most cheap kid's themed resort far from MK. The OP can research these as this is essentially what they asked for and they can decide for themselves where to stay and what's doable or not considering their budget. Others have mentioned these resorts as well yet you didn't quote them. ?!?

Don't take it so personally. Yours was the first post I came across that mentioned Deluxe Resorts. I'll try to keep you on a do not quote list in the future.

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
Unfortunately, you'll be visiting Walt Disney World (WDW) during its most expensive time of the year.

The least expensive Disney hotels, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, and All Star Music, will cost about $220 per night on average.

These are far from Fantasyland. The 3 closest hotels, the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, and the Contemporary, are Disney's 3 most expensive. For the nights you intend to visit, their least expensive rooms average about $700 per night.

All Disney hotels offer free transportation to the theme parks. You also get free transportation from the Orlando airport.

As already mentioned, you are visiting during the most crowded week of the year. During Christmas, the Magic Kingdom can get so crowded that it's difficult to walk. Think about how crowded it was the last time you went to a major sporting event. That's how crowded the theme parks will be.

It's not a good week for your first visit to WDW. Any chance you'll be able to visit a different week?

I've already told work that's why I want Christmas off as it's a once in a lifetime holiday for us from the uk. So if I wasn't going here then I wouldn't be allowed the time off now :/

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
I understand.

We could make more informed suggestions if you could let us know how much you want to spend per night.

I have looked at some of the hotels and the prices are around £3000 per room for the 5 days . Ideally I would like 2 rooms for this price otherwise they will wake is up when they come in later in the night.

JIMINYCR

Hi Everyone,
I have never been to Disney World and we are going to book to go this Christmas. Around 22nd Dec for 5-7 days.
Will be myself my 3 year old and my parents in mid 50's. It's all about the little one so the trip will be all geared towards her so from what I can see Fantasyland will be a favourite. I have no idea what I'm doing regards the hotels. What's the distance of them from the parks? Would we have to drive ? Example - what's the nearest hotel to Fantasyland?
Where would u stay with a 3 year old and parents who would probably prefer a more sophisticated hotel for them to enjoy rather than a children's theme one ?
Thanks for your help. The bookings left to me and I want to get it right as need to please everyone with the hotel! X

Check out POFQ. It may fit your needs and be a bit more affordable. It is more adult themed, quieter than other resorts, has a boat that goes to DS. The rooms are nice and the pool area has child areas. Weve stayed there many times and have been very pleased. Its centrally located so the transportation times to all the parks are about the same, usually 20 min but because of the crowds that may be more.
Yes you are going at a very buzy time and youll need to plan well to do a lot during the time you are there.... BUUUT it is absolutely the most beautifully themed time to go. If you love Christmas, Disney is the place to be. Everywhere you look will be decorated, ( the Castle lit up with Christmas lights is awesome) and there are special Christmas events you can book. The EP Santas around the world would make great photos with your child. Book your ADR's and FP+ as soon as possible!!! Have a great holiday at Disney with your family.

ParentsOf4

No just room price came up as 3000 with 2 beds in same room.
5 nights at resort
X
So, you want to spend 600 pounds (about $780) per night for two rooms, or $390 per night during Christmas.

That eliminates all of the Deluxe Resorts because of price during Christmas.

Your next option is to look at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (POR), a Moderate Resort.

It's preferable to Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs Resort, which both have ongoing construction.

Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) is another option. However, I prefer POR because of the larger pool and better dining options.

With a budget of $390 per night, I suggest staying away from the Value Resorts.

You also could look into a DVC rental, although that gets more complicated.

Hope this helps.

durangojim

Hi Everyone,
I may be in the minority here but I think the days between Christmas and New Years are probably the worst time of year for new visitors to WDW to go. It is extremely and non fast pass wait times for rides are ridiculously long. I have had many people who went to WDW for the first time during this period hate Disney because they were only able to do a fraction of what they had planned and the fatigue and lines cause a miserable trip. I'm not trying to be a downer but I want you to be aware of what could happen. My family and I are WDW "pros" and have gone multiple times per year for the past 15 or so years so we don't feel the need to try to get on every ride. When we were there this past Christmas and New Years we did the three rides we had fast passes for each day and then did maybe 2 or 3 other rides that we waited for and that was it. The rest of the time was spent at the resort relaxing. I don't know if that is feasible for a first timer but it makes for a much more relaxing trip.

durangojim

So, you want to spend 600 pounds (about $780) per night for two rooms, or $390 per night during Christmas.

Your next option is to look at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (POR), a Moderate Resort.

It's preferable to Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs Resort, which both have ongoing construction.

Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) is another option. However, I prefer POR because of the larger pool and better dining options.

Hope this helps.
One other thing to consider - are you in a profession where there might be a conference going on at WDW during this time? We stayed at the Yacht Club during the holidays for $320 a night due to a conference I participated in. It was a deal too good to not take advantage for, especially for New Years Eve!

DiSnEyF@n

Look into the Swan and Dolphin too. You'll get the feel of a Deluxe resort but for much cheaper. And you'll be super close to Epcot and HS.

TiggerDad

Hope this helps.
I read the OP's email as saying the quoted price for those Deluxe Resorts was around 3000 pounds, not that 3000 pounds was their budget.

The trade-off at Disney is you pay a lot more for location. If you want to be close to Fantasyland (at the Magic Kingdom), which is what I would do too if going with a 3 year old, then you have to decide if you're willing to pay 3000 pounds to stay at one of the monorail resorts that are very convenient to Fantasyland. Monorail access is so much better than bus access for a stroller.

To the OP: there are four parks at WDW. If you plan to visit each of them, then it's probably not worth paying extra to be on the monorail. But if you plan to spend most or all of your time at just the Magic Kingdom and not visit Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and whatever they're calling Hollywood Studios by December, then pay extra for location. If having two rooms is more important than location, then look at all the other options, including booking two separate rooms under different reservations, and asking to be assigned connecting rooms.

But I would also echo the comments above that it is important to set your expectations. This is the busiest week of the year to visit. I was there that week six months ago, and would do it again if that was the only time we could go. Just be aware it will be crowded. You will wait in line 20 minutes for a restroom, so plan ahead with your 3 year old.

BigDave

Disney transportation is great. We never use our car when we get on property. So you will be fine to go to any of the 4 parks, 2 water parks, Disney springs, etc.

Art of Animation should work for a party of 5. But could be pricey. Some of the moderate resorts have a trundle bed so you can sleep 5. My teen daughters still fight for the trundle bed. Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou has them. Besides, you really aren't in the room much only to crash after a long day. Port Orleans Riverside, Carribean Beach, Port Orleans French Quarter would be my 3 choices if they offer that 3 rd bed. The cabins at Ft Wilderness Campground are great too, but depends on your budget.

The resort mugs are a good deal because you can use them at your hotel for the entire length of stay.

Matt_Black

Having been to WDW Christmas week, let me say that I think the OP will be fine, provided they do a little planning, remain flexible, and manage their expectations (that last one might be a bit difficult, as I know how kids can sometimes be).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom