First time at Disney- help needed on hotels

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,
I have never been to Disney World and we are going to book to go this Christmas. Around 22nd Dec for 5-7 days.
Will be myself my 3 year old and my parents in mid 50's. It's all about the little one so the trip will be all geared towards her so from what I can see Fantasyland will be a favourite. I have no idea what I'm doing regards the hotels. What's the distance of them from the parks? Would we have to drive ? Example - what's the nearest hotel to Fantasyland?
Where would u stay with a 3 year old and parents who would probably prefer a more sophisticated hotel for them to enjoy rather than a children's theme one ?
Thanks for your help. The bookings left to me and I want to get it right as need to please everyone with the hotel! X

deeevo

Hi Everyone,
I have never been to Disney World and we are going to book to go this Christmas. Around 22nd Dec for 5-7 days.
Will be myself my 3 year old and my parents in mid 50's. It's all about the little one so the trip will be all geared towards her so from what I can see Fantasyland will be a favourite. I have no idea what I'm doing regards the hotels. What's the distance of them from the parks? Would we have to drive ? Example - what's the nearest hotel to Fantasyland?
Where would u stay with a 3 year old and parents who would probably prefer a more sophisticated hotel for them to enjoy rather than a children's theme one ?
Thanks for your help. The bookings left to me and I want to get it right as need to please everyone with the hotel! X
What is your budget? That will determine where you would want to stay. Stay on property if at all possible since it is your first time and you have a 3 year old.

ChristyKay

All onsite hotels provide bus transportation to and from the parks, some even monorail and boat. Fantasyland is in the Magic Kingdom and the closest resorts to MK are the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Bay Lake Tower. However these are moderate/deluxe resorts. Depends on how much money you're willing to spend, but honestly I wouldn't worry about the distance from the park since you won't have to drive. Just my opinion.

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
What is your budget? That will determine where you would want to stay. Stay on property if at all possible since it is your first time and you have a 3 year old.[/QUOTE

Parents are paying - I think the budget won't be at very top end of scale but they do want somewhere really nice to stays if nice enough they will pay it. X

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
All onsite hotels provide bus transportation to and from the parks, some even monorail and boat. Fantasyland is in the Magic Kingdom and the closest resorts to MK are the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Bay Lake Tower. However these are moderate/deluxe resorts. Depends on how much money you're willing to spend, but honestly I wouldn't worry about the distance from the park since you won't have to drive. Just my opinion.

Thank you very much I can't start viewing some of these ones you mentioned. We are looking for somewhere really nice to stay so I'll check prices on these and if we need a rethink then may go further out x

ChristyKay

No problem, I have never personally stayed at any of these but I will be staying at Bay Lake for the first time this August and can't wait to be so close to MK :)
Hope you have an amazing first trip, don't forget to ask for First Visit buttons when you check in ;)

deeevo

Personally I would get a suite at Art of Animation. That way you have the room for the parents and the themeing that the 3 year old will love. If it is a little out of their price range staying at Pop Century with adjoined rooms would be the way togo. I have done both with twin 3 year olds multiple times. Can't go wrong with either one.

Tobesc8219314

Original Poster
Personally I would get a suite at Art of Animation. That way you have the room for the parents and the themeing that the 3 year old will love. If it is a little out of their price range staying at Pop Century with adjoined rooms would be the way togo. I have done both with twin 3 year olds multiple times. Can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks I'll take a look x

DisneyPrincess5

If you're looking to be close to the Magic Kingdom:
Check out Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from them, or monorail.
You can take the monorail fro, Grand Floridian and Polynesian to MK.
You can take a boat to MK from Wilderness Lodge.

We've stayed at all of these except for Grand Floridian and I can say we loved them all and it's sooo easy to get in and out of MK this way.

Happy planning!

hooch

One of my best friends did a similar trip. They stayed at the Contemporary and had a great time. You might consider the Grand Floridian too - one monorail stop away (going; 3 minute ride or so to MK gates). Boat ride back to resort (5 minutes or so, once the boat departs MK).
Wilderness Lodge has gone through a lot of construction lately and looks to be in beautiful shape. It is about a 10-minute boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. Rooms are smaller here but it's a great resort. You could look into a 2-bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. Important thing is that you stay in the Magic Kingdom area :) ;)

wagner1225

While Wilderness Lodge has always been favorite and just a boat ride to MK, Art of Animation suites are price good and they would have a private bedroom, they sleep six. We are much older than your parents but being at Disney World seem to reduce your age and seeing the littles one have fun is the joy of living....

ParentsOf4

Unfortunately, you'll be visiting Walt Disney World (WDW) during its most expensive time of the year.

The least expensive Disney hotels, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, and All Star Music, will cost about $220 per night on average.

These are far from Fantasyland. The 3 closest hotels, the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, and the Contemporary, are Disney's 3 most expensive. For the nights you intend to visit, their least expensive rooms average about $700 per night.

All Disney hotels offer free transportation to the theme parks. You also get free transportation from the Orlando airport.

As already mentioned, you are visiting during the most crowded week of the year. During Christmas, the Magic Kingdom can get so crowded that it's difficult to walk. Think about how crowded it was the last time you went to a major sporting event. That's how crowded the theme parks will be.

It's not a good week for your first visit to WDW. Any chance you'll be able to visit a different week?

Nemo14

Be prepared for sticker shock when you see prices for deluxe resorts during Christmas time.
Also, be prepared for massive crowds during that time period. I can't even imagine going for the first time during that timeframe.

This was my reaction too. You're planning your first visit there at the most insanely busy, most obscenely expensive time of the year. Nothing we on a forum can say could possibly prepare you for what you'll experience there then. If you can, reschedule your trip for a couple of weeks - it will be well worth the wait.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If, despite the cautions you've seen, you decide to proceed with your Christmas-time visit, I have only two pieces of advice:
a) Get started on reservations TODAY (actually, 6 months ago would have been better). Reserve everything you can as soon as possible, including your Advance Dining Reservations (you're already in the window for those) and 60-day-out FastPass+ attractions, and
b) Exercise extreme patience while you're there. It will be crowded and expensive. If your 3-year-old is not the patient kind, be prepared to keep them entertained in long FP+ lines (20-30 minutes) and ridiculous stand-by lines (60 to 320 minutes). Same goes for your parents... ;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We're going for our first ever trip to Disney World during Christmas this year as well. We couldn't change our trip timing, and will also be catering to a 3 year old. It changes the way you plan completely.

For example, if you plan to rope drop and "do all the rides", you'll have to wake up wicked early as the MK has been known to open at 7 am (EMH) every day that week, and even rope drop crowds will be heavy.

Then after EMH, you won't experience short wait times, so you'll have to plan your fast passes wisely. Even the Carousel, which normally has no wait time, can have a thirty minute line. It's a Small World can be over an hour.

rob0519

If you're looking to be close to the Magic Kingdom:
Check out Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from them, or monorail.
You can take the monorail fro, Grand Floridian and Polynesian to MK.
You can take a boat to MK from Wilderness Lodge.

We've stayed at all of these except for Grand Floridian and I can say we loved them all and it's sooo easy to get in and out of MK this way.

Happy planning!

Keep in mind the Deluxe Resorts you just mentioned are about $500+ per night. During the peak Christmas Season, they may be even more. Those prices are beyond many people's budget and / or sensibilities. We stay at those resorts, but only during times of 25%-30% off the rack rate.

DisneyAubs

As others have said, the week you're planning will be insanely busy. With the appropriate expectations you can still have a good time though. You will not get everything done, so you will need to plan a few "must do" things for each day and be willing to wait or forgo many other attractions or activities.

Of course, the perfect scenario for a vacation mostly centered around MK will be one of the resorts in the monorail or the Wilderness Lodge, but staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts would be a nice option too. They are a moderate resort, so less expensive (you could possibly even do two rooms here instead of 1 at a deluxe?) they are beautifully themed and but not with childish decor that it sounds like your parents would prefer to avoid. And there is a boat to Disney springs, which can be nice for something different to do.

Newton

If your budget permits, I recommend the Grand Floridian. It is spectacular and close to the Magic Kingdom. The lobby at Christmas time can't be missed so even if you choose a different resort, I recommend touring the lobby during your stay!

DisneyPrincess5

Keep in mind the Deluxe Resorts you just mentioned are about $500+ per night. During the peak Christmas Season, they may be even more. Those prices are beyond many people's budget and / or sensibilities. We stay at those resorts, but only during times of 25%-30% off the rack rate.
Yes I am more than fully aware. I offered suggestions directly based on the criteria the OP asked for. The OP asked for a sophisticated hotel close to Fantasyland (MK) not asking for the most cheap kid's themed resort far from MK. The OP can research these as this is essentially what they asked for and they can decide for themselves where to stay and what's doable or not considering their budget. Others have mentioned these resorts as well yet you didn't quote them. ?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom