first time @ a value

Jess G

Original Poster
Hey all :) soooo some of you may remember me posting a thread about what you would do/upgrade if you had extra money to spend... Well instead of upgrading my 7 night trip to POR in December I've decided to go in OCTOBER for 3 nights!!! I'm very excited that I will be visiting the world 2 times so close to each other and also excited and blessed to be able to see halloween and x-mas decor in the same year.

I have a 3 night trip planned for 3 adults @ All stars music resort
We will do one full day at the food and wine fest (one of my favorite things), one day of resort hopping and fun at the pool, and one day planned with Sanaa for lunch and MNSSHP at night

This will be my first Value resort so I'm curious to see the real difference. I've stayed at both Mods and deluxe before... does anybody have any warnings or advice to me? I'll be there October 23-26.

cursivesailor

Ear plugs for the thin walls and a balloon to keep the motion activated air conditioner going through out the night. The last trip I stayed at the newly opened AoA and woke up every night literally stuck to my husband. And not in a good way. It was awful. We vowed right then and there that we wouldnt do a value ever again.

belledream

I've only stayed at values for the last 6 years or so, and have always had thumbs-up experiences! Just prepare yourself for what you're paying for...aka a room in a boldly-themed resort. Most buildings are a less 10 (sometimes 5) minutes walk to the bus stops, and there's something endearing about walking through those automatic doors and hearing the chatter from the food court as you pass by. I will say, the pools are nothing to shout about and I personally wouldn't spend much time ASMu's pool when there's so many other places to explore outside the parks around the World on that day. :) Have a great trip!

Minnie Mum

It will be "cozy", and not in a good way. The beds are smaller, so I hope whoever are sharing a bed don't have personal space issues. The room is smaller, the walls are thinner, and there will only be one sink in the vanity area. The resort as a whole will seem noisier and busier. But for only 3 nights, if you're spending all your time in the parks, it should be doable. But I can't imagine spending the majority of a day at the resort. The value pools are very basic. Just manage your expectations.

Mickey5150

I'm not sure why so many people have issues with the value resorts. They're not in some third world country, they have indoor plumbing and you get your own bathroom. I stay at All-Star Sports every year and have never gotten dysentery. I've stayed at many deluxe and all of the moderates and will continue to choose All-Star Sports as my home away from home every year. Basically you are saving money and because of that there is no full service restaurant, only a pool bar not an indoor lounge, there is less theming and your room won't be as nice. However since the only transportation is buses you don't have to be upset when WDW shuts down the boats or monorail.

DManRightHere

I'm not sure why so many people have issues with the value resorts. They're not in some third world country, they have indoor plumbing and you get your own bathroom. I stay at All-Star Sports every year and have never gotten dysentery. I've stayed at many deluxe and all of the moderates and will continue to choose All-Star Sports as my home away from home every year. Basically you are saving money and because of that there is no full service restaurant, only a pool bar not an indoor lounge, there is less theming and your room won't be as nice. However since the only transportation is buses you don't have to be upset when WDW shuts down the boats or monorail.

I've always thought it was to do with the higher crowds due to higher capacity resorts and the younger, roudier crowds that may want the lowest cost options.

I would stay at the values, but never have. We can spend a little more and get what we really want if we plan well and be a lottle flexible. I do know their bus lines can get quite lengthy at park closing. Not always, but sometimes.

Mickey5150

I've always thought it was to do with the higher crowds due to higher capacity resorts and the younger, roudier crowds that may want the lowest cost options.

I would stay at the values, but never have. We can spend a little more and get what we really want if we plan well and be a lottle flexible. I do know their bus lines can get quite lengthy at park closing. Not always, but sometimes.
I have no problem with anyone staying wherever they choose, I just love it when people talk about the values as if they sleeping in the parking lot or something. The best thing about Disney is there is a hotel for everyone.

As a Florida resident I have stayed in values many times for quick trips because we traveled so often to see the Mouse! Yes, the rooms are smaller but I go knowing that and have always enjoyed my stay at any Dianey hotel. You will have an awesome time and also getting to see Halloween and Christmas decorations is a bonus!

DisneyDreamer08

Ear plugs for the thin walls and a balloon to keep the motion activated air conditioner going through out the night. The last trip I stayed at the newly opened AoA and woke up every night literally stuck to my husband. And not in a good way. It was awful. We vowed right then and there that we wouldnt do a value ever again.

I'm curious about the balloon. Just bring it from home, blow it up and what, tape it to the AC vent? Or is there a motion detector somewhere?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts and I have no problem with the All Stars. Maybe I've lucked out with good neighbors but noise has not been an issue and my AC unit never shut off during the night. The pools aren't super fancy but both pools at the Music play good music, and if you just want a lounger to relax with an occasional dip in the pool and maybe a drink they should be fine. The beds are doubles so two of you will have to cozy up, I don't think there is enough room for a rollaway bed. But if you go in expecting it to be the Poly or something then you will be disappointed.

MickeyMomV

We have stayed at all of the All Stars once and would not have a problem going back. Rooms are a little smaller but we fit with no issues. We have not had any problems with the AC, maybe this is a new issue since we were there in April. We had loud neighbors at AS-Movies and I was going to call the front desk, but as it was my sister's family I thought that would be bad form. The only issue at AS-Music is that we were in the back corner of the last building so it was a little bit of a walk at 1 am. A preferred room fixed the issue at AS-Sports. The only other issue we ran into at Sports was apparently we went during Senior trip week for some high schools so the pool and bus stop got a little crowded. But the chaperones did awesome and kept the kids in line and allowed regular resort guests to bypass their group if they could.

On a side note, we have stayed at CSR during some conventions and I will tell you that some of the adults at these conventions can be more rude and obnoxious than any of the kids there on a high school senior trip!!!

cursivesailor

there is a way to bypass the motion detector. these new thermostats are in all new hotels now. next time ask youtube, it shows how.

We are gonna be at AKL-Kidani this October and will need to know how to override the AC if its the same there. Any specific videos to watch? Or specific phrases to use while searching?

Huglife

I never had a problem until they installed the new stupid "green" air conditioning units that shut off in the middle of the night and i get stuck to my hot sweaty husband.. and not in a good way! ;)
I worked in a hotel that had these and when people complained we just had maintenance turn them off. I imagine Disney, being the company it is, would do the same.

cursivesailor

I worked in a hotel that had these and when people complained we just had maintenance turn them off. I imagine Disney, being the company it is, would do the same.
When we were in AoA, which was still new at the time, the front desk told me there was nothing they could do and suggested buying a balloon to float around to try to trick the motion detector. Needless to say, I was not very happy.

Minthorne

Things I dislike about value resorts:
1. The waiting queue for buses - uncovered and crowded. You have to stand in line in the sun.
2 The Toilet Paper - as low quality as the restrooms in the parks.
3. The towels - in the room they are thin. At the pool there are none
4. The food courts - the food is usually good but the crowds are crazy
5. The pools are crowded
6. AC shuts off when you are out of the room

Things I like about value resorts
1. Beats being at work.

Epcotfan21

When did these AC units get put in? I was @ AKL and CBR in April and don't remember there being an issue?
If I'm not mistaken, they're currently only at the Value resorts. I've never had any experience with the AC turning off in the middle of the night at Moderate or Deluxe level resorts in the last 2 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom