First look: Disney's PK

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
First look: Disney's PK
Ubi Soft releases the first screenshots of the upcoming GameCube game featuring Donald Duck's alter ego.
By Giancarlo Varanini

(GameSpot) -- Ubi Soft has released some new screenshots from Disney's PK: Out of the Shadows, a game based on Donald Duck's superhero alter ego. Players will take on the role of PK as he tries to defend Earth from the Evronian warrior invasion force. The game will feature 11 levels, ranging from an underwater military base to inside an Evronian ship. PK will have an assortment of weaponry at his disposal (such as missiles, shock wave bombs, and flame rings) to take out enemies. He will also have access to a variety of power-ups that will enable him to reach new areas within a particular level.
Disney's PK: Out of the Shadows is scheduled for release in November. An official release date has yet to be announced for the PS2 version of the game.

MKCustodial

We have comics down here where Donald is a super-hero, but he's called Super-Pato (Super-Duck). I've never heard of PK... Is that the same as the computer game they had a few years ago, with the ninja duck? Was that Donald?

Also, for the record, I don't know about the US, but we also have Super-Pateta (Super Goofy) and Morcego Vermelho (Red Bat), the last one being Donald's cousin, but I don't know his name in English, he's always wearing a red cap and a yellow shirt.

Steamboat_Kevin

Here is the cover of Cold Shadow

Attachments

• coldshadow.jpg
    coldshadow.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 206

Steamboat_Kevin

Originally posted by MKCustodial

So who is he, a cousin, a friend or what?
Erm.. Not exactly sure, I think it's supposed to be like a movie so he might not be any relation to Donald at all (?)
Think, Kevin! Think! Think! Think! :brick:

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Steamboat_Kevin

Erm.. Not exactly sure, I think it's supposed to be like a movie so he might not be any relation to Donald at all (?)
Think, Kevin! Think! Think! Think! :brick:

Well, do you know what does PK stand for?

Toonfinder

Originally posted by MKCustodial

Well, do you know what does PK stand for?

PK actually stands fortThe scientific Latin classification for 'Platyrhynchos Kineticus', or translated loosely: Energized Duck

Apparently here's a bit of the backstory thanks to IGN.com:
"In 1968, a couple of Disney employees had this idea of transforming Donald Duck into a superhero. Rejected by the United States, the determined team pitched it to some Italian powerhouses and struck a deal that would change Italian funny books forever. Donald was now given permission to don a mask and cape to become the feathered super fowl known only as PK. Eventually, his new persona transformed into one of the most popular cartoon characters you'll ever find for inhabitants of the giant European boot. Finally Okayed here in North America, his exploits will finally be unveiled on this side of the Atlantic with his appearance in his very own platform videogame.
Simply titled Disney's PK (The scientific Latin classification for 'Platyrhynchos Kineticus', or translated loosely: Energized Duck), the Ubi Soft-developed platformer wowed us with it's excellent graphics and above-average level design. Don't expect to hear much of Donald's classic garbled speech patterns though, as Ubi Soft and Disney want to establish him as completely separate character. The result is a totally revamped vocal track that chimes in just a few moments before the end of the game's intro.

Created by a super computer known as 'One', PK's primary mission is to stop the evil Zondgag and his evil Envronian alien horde from taking over Duckberg. Armed with his trusty X-Transformer mega weapon, PK ventures out beyond four sci-fi worlds and 11 stages in his quest to bring peace to his people. With locations like Area 52, Ducklair Tower, and the Envronian mothership itself, our feathered friend's adventures are as kooky as his persona's name definition.

The X-Transformer itself is actually pretty ingenious, with a comparison falling heavily with high-tech Swiss Army Knives. Capable of being upgraded with new weapons and powers throughout his journey, PK's X-T device can do everything from boost him over deep chasms via the propulsar to incinerating his opponents with flame rings. Clocking in with more than 8 total upgrades, his arm-slung contraption should add a heap of depth to the already platform-heavy arena."

MKCustodial

Well, the cape is a bit big, and the uniform's colors are different, but it's the same we've had down here for more than 15 years. I don't remember a gun, though. He had gadgets like Batman, and his boots had coils or something. He was actually pretty smart and dexterous when in costume, rarily did "Donald" stuff (meaning screwing up) :lol: .

Sherm00

I would love to see a game where you can choose from PK, Darkwing Duck, or Gizmoduck. disney if your listening, that would be cool.

Toonfinder

there's a nice 1-page ad at the end of the Kingdom Hearts Strategy Guide for PK with a couple of screenshots... and a
website, but after typing in the URL it didn't work :(
Maybe someday soon it will? If so then it's disneyspk.ubi.com

MKCustodial

On a related note... I found PK was created in Italy in 1969 for their Disney comics. Some of those stories were published down here, but the character was forgotten. This month we'll be getting the new revamped version that the Italians released last August, with a new origin. It's this storyline that spawned the game. If I find my old comic I'll post a pic of the original version of PK.

MKCustodial

Ok, here's a picture of the original PK. The outfit is similar, but there are some differences. The old stories were more comical. Donald found the costume and the equipment, along with a diary from the old superhero in an abandoned house, and decided to become PK and fight crime.

Apparently, the new storyline follows the Green Lantern concept, with various PK-like heroes throughout the galaxy fighting a race of evil aliens and Donald being chosen as Earth's hero. These new stories are more science-fiction oriented, so his equipment should be a lot better than the first one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom