First Look at A Completed Home In Golden Oak!

Biff215

I know :(

I just felt like being bitter against rich people. I still don't like the idea of them being able to own property ON property, though.

I hear you, but technically they're not even on property anymore as they were deannexed much like Celebration was years ago. I realize that selling property off still bothers many, but what was Disney really going to do with it anyway?

You can go 20 minutes north of there and but the same size house on a big lake for way cheaper.

Wasn't there something that you don't live in these houses full time? It's like a timeshare for vacations only?

These are definitely not timeshares. Of course they will likely wind up empty large portions of the year as those who can afford to live there will use it like their own personal timeshare. I'd imagine that the association rules even make renting the house impossible.

If money were no object, there would be no question that we'd be there!

miles1

Ya, from what I heard buying the house is just the beginning. I heard somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000-$60,000 a year in association dues. And I am assuming taxes would not be low either.

Who would they pay taxes to? TWDCO? Orange County? Celebration school district? Just curious, I don't know how property taxes flow in Florida.

menamechris

Who would they pay taxes to? TWDCO? Orange County? Celebration school district? Just curious, I don't know how property taxes flow in Florida.

The property is now back under Orange County. So whatever taxes you would pay if you bought in that area in Orange County...

thelookingglass

I hear you, but technically they're not even on property anymore as they were deannexed much like Celebration was years ago. I realize that selling property off still bothers many, but what was Disney really going to do with it anyway?
The property was annexed? I thought the whole selling point of this was (other than the homes being incredible) that it was literally "on property" unlike Celebration. My problem with this is that its very visable from guest areas, notably Port Orleans Riverside. I know Disney still has plenty of land, but they more they give up or develop the less special and secluded it feels.
Looks like a more properly proportioned McMansion.
No way, McMansions are nothing like this.

devoy1701

Also to the HOA itself. I'm sure they're going to have very steep dues to pay for the gate, the security, and the groundskeeping and water feature treatment and maintenance such as fountains, lakes, ponds, etc (which I imagine will be manicured multiple times per week instead of once a week like most neighborhoods).

I-4Warrior

Disney's not spending any real money on these homes, the property owners are. The homes are being paid for by the owners, not Disney. It's not as if there were expansions and attractions that were scrapped in order to build these homes.

One has nothing to do with the other.

I disagree to an extent. Sure, the idea is for property owners to buy them. However, Disney spent the money to build them in a time of economic recession. How can we be certain that anyone will buy such luxury in this time period? These million+ houses could be sitting vacant for a long time. In that very likely scenario, Disney did wastefully spend. The timing of this is just puzzling.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I disagree to an extent. Sure, the idea is for property owners to buy them. However, Disney spent the money to build them in a time of economic recession. How can we be certain that anyone will buy such luxury in this time period? These million+ houses could be sitting vacant for a long time. In that very likely scenario, Disney did wastefully spend. The timing of this is just puzzling.
The people that can afford houses like this get wealthier regardless of what the economy does. Houses like the ones being built in Golden Oaks are what I primarily work on and I have a desk full of 10K-20K square foot single family homes right now. Golden Oaks will not sell out in a year like a normal subdivision will but it will make all involved boatloads of cash in the end.

KSmith

If I win the lottery, we are moving in there...though the traffic might drive me nuts...but I can see running to the main street bakery to pick up dessert any given night!!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The property was annexed? I thought the whole selling point of this was (other than the homes being incredible) that it was literally "on property" unlike Celebration. My problem with this is that its very visable from guest areas, notably Port Orleans Riverside. I know Disney still has plenty of land, but they more they give up or develop the less special and secluded it feels.No way, McMansions are nothing like this.
Disney can not realistically have people owing property inside their legal borders. That would require a government, voting rights and a myriad of legal issues Disney wants no part in. While it is visible from property we are not talking about a motel 6 or a trailer park. The stone work alone on just the entry gate probably approaches 1/2 a million dollars. The GF will look like a HUD house compared to what guests will be able to see of Golden Oaks. If anything it will be an improvement.

goofntink

You can go 20 minutes north of there and but the same size house on a big lake for way cheaper.

Wasn't there something that you don't live in these houses full time? It's like a timeshare for vacations only?

Actually the opposite. HOA rules for the development require owners to live there full time. And you cannot rent the house out as a timeshare or weekly vacation home. This was one of the stipulations Disney set into the deal to purchase the property. In other words no competition for resorts or DVC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom