Fire Near Epcot

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Noticed the plume of smoke while standing at the Springs bus stop at SSR this afternoon. We thought someone was BBQing...:ROFLOL:

Slipknot

Drove past the fire this afternoon on my way to my parents house for vacation. The wooded area just north of Osceola Pkwy near the toll Plaza had a brush fire that was close enough to a neighborhood that I could see the Fire Department evcacuating the residents who lived there between the houses. Small for a brush fire but if I had to describe it, the word I would use is long. A good 200 - 600 (I could be wrong, so don't jump on me if I am. I'm guessing here anyway) feet long but couldn't tell how wide it was. Didn't seem that bad from far away but the closer you got to it, the worse it got. Don't know anymore about it than that.

dcaffey

Had ashes falling on our balcony at The Boardwalk Villas and a little smokey this evening at Downtown Disney.

The giant plume of smoke was a pretty wild sight for those of us not used to such things.

I keep thinking I see lighting around so rain may be on the way.

devoy1701

Hey guys! I asked the OP to post on my behalf earlier this afternoon because I wasn't near a computer since I was walking around Epcot and my phone doesn't have an internet browser...

I didn't really notice the smoke plume until about 5pm, I think it was because the winds had shifted and was bringing the smoke straight over Epcot. Ash started falling around 5:30 or so, and from about 6 to 7, there was a steady fall of ash. It wasn't like the ash that came into Tampa from last year's fires in Georgia, it was larger, sometime 3-4 inches long...but they would crumble in your hand or as they hit the ground.

We stopped for dinner at the Spoodles Pizza window at about 6:15 and took cover with our pizza in the seating area under the deck just off the Boardwalk Main Lobby to get out of the falling ash (i didn't want ash on my delicious Spoodles Pizza!). We got back in Epcot around 7, by which time the smoke plume had changed from a dark black to a whitish gray giving me the impression it was coming under control even though the plume was alot wider than when I first noticed.

We left the park around 9 (right before IllumiNations to beat the crowds)...no more ash at that time, but a heavy scent of smoke throughout WDW (the kind that burns the back of your throat when you breathe in).

That's it....made for an interesting day...in other news, Crowds very light, everything in MK was practically a walk on, Soarin was only 50 mins, theres a new weird light up thing in Steve Job's garage scene on SSE...whatever that is, and Nestle's name is still all over The Land Pavillion...

Thanks StageFrenzy for relaying the news for me.

And PhotoDave...lighten up...even if I hadn't of forgotten the memory card for my camera today, Pictures of the ash falling wouldn't have shown up....I was simply reporting that ash was falling...not that we couldn't breathe and people were starting to sufficate or anything! It was just interesting news! :animwink:

So that was what the smoke in the sky my Dad and I saw at Hollywood Studios today came from?
There was ash falling all over the place, seriously.
I got some in my eye and it burned; some smudged my fingers when I tried to get some off of my shirt.
Hope everyone and everything's okay!

pax_65

.... I'm sorry, but thats not news.

As a firefighter I agree this is not newsworthy, any more than the photos of burning cars or buses that show up on here - this is routine, you'll find brush fires, car fires, bus fires all over the place every day.

But what makes it interesting to me and other people on this board is the proximity to WDW. When something is close to WDW, even the routine becomes interesting.

The same is true for injuries, criminal activity, weather phenomenon, mechanical breakdowns, you name it. If it's close to (or especially IN) WDW, it's interesting to many on this board.

It may not necessarily make sense but that's the way it is. :)

BigB911

.... I'm sorry, but thats not news. Its not interesting. Its a f__________g brush fire in Hunter's Creek for christ's sakes. Its not page 1, page 4 or even back page news. Don't add to the hysteria and misinformation that gets posted on these forums every time any incident happens anywhere near WDW.

Dave,
I agree with you here! Although, by the looks of that picture, in these parts, we'd call that a large brush fire. The "small" brush fires we get are the mulch that seems to spontaneously combust at the local shopping center:rolleyes:. On the other hand, we've had what we consider small room-n-contents fires that buddies from out of town think are major conflagorations (*sp). I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from!

Random thought: I never would have guessed that a discussion about fire would pop up on this board, especially after I just left thewatcdesk!:lol:

At any rate, I hope our brother and sister firefighters down there are OK!:wave:

CedricCSCFL

Here's a pic I took of the smoke while at Epcot today (Saturday)
20080531WDWAP15TSMMGO431Small-vi.jpg

Piebald

This is the same type of hysteria that some of the people on here show when a hurricane or tropical storm is *gasp* near WDW. OH NOES!!!! It's THE END OF THE WORLD!!!! :brick:

These brushfires are nothing. Nada. No Big Deal. No one cares. They're not even in the same league of some of the brushfires in the south (Everglades) or even worse as Dave pointed out, in CA and the midwest. Nothing to see here, move along.

828tnt

look, i don't want to quote anyone, compare local fires, or anyone's ability to fight them. firefighting is in my family and i don't think enough people have enough respect for those who do it!

there was obviously a fire NEAR wdw. but it affected wdw. that's what this board is for. if @#%! is falling from the sky that the weatherman didn't predict, it's worthy of talkin about here. period. if ya don't agree, i respect your opinion, but no need to preach.

i've only been around this site for a little while, but there is FAR too much negativity! this is supposed to be a fun site about a magical place. enjoy it, talk about it, love it, and for it again!

we all have an appreciation for walt's creation, let's just enjoy it together!

photodave, you obviously have experience in an incredibly noble and under appreciated field. i respect and thank you for your service.

thanks for all of the info everyone! wdw is certainly a different place under such circumstances!

i pray nothing develops any further and that no one suffers.........

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/member.php?u=7112

DABIGCHEEZ

Note to all future thread starters..... from now on pass all thread starters

by PhotoDave and some others for approval!!!!.......

NOT!!!

While you and I agree that this is not top page breaking news.... someone thought so and posted it... Really no big deal. As others have mentioned the negativity on here has made me for one not really use this site as much as in the past.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Note to all future thread starters..... from now on pass all thread starters

by PhotoDave and some others for approval!!!!.......

NOT!!!

While you and I agree that this is not top page breaking news.... someone thought so and posted it... Really no big deal. As others have mentioned the negativity on here has made me for one not really use this site as much as in the past.

Just curious. How do you interact with the rest of the world? For the most part, its a fairly negative place to exist. Politicians telling me I dont pay enough taxes. Environmentalists telling me Im ruining the planet. Educators telling me I cant spell worth a flip. Sometimes its just better to ignore the negative and move on with life....

Dskipper

well if they are taking those people out of there houses why dont you ask them. i bet it is a pretty freaken big deal to them huh. any and all fires a big deal in a place like orlando because one shift of the wind or one real bad patch of dry brush u can kiss 10 to 50 homes good by just like that, its due to spraw building, build here woods build there and here, there really bad in kissimmee building houseing in the middle of the woods.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just want to adds omething here.

Despite what some people say, this is VERY relevent to WDW. As we can see from some of the pictures, this is DIRECTLY affecting WDW, and is therefore clearly news, which is EXACTLY what this board is for.

Thanks to the original poster and everyone else who has contributed positively to this thread, please carry on!

devoy1701

What hysteria was I trying to cause by just having StageFrenzy post that there is a fire near Epcot causing ash to fall in the park? It was just something interesting to post, and caused an interesting afternoon in the parks.

Afterall, unless your from the west (CA, AZ, NV areas) or from down near FL of GA, not many people in our country experience brush fires or wildfires...there were plenty of people walking around the park asking "I wonder what's on fire, that looks pretty bad" and going up to any CM that was holding a radio to see if they had any information on it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Does anyone know if the fire was completely contained? There is still a strong smell of smoke in the air. Kind of like the burning Rome scene in SSE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom