Finally taking a trip to Disneyland

fosse76

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the hotels on Harbor Blvd are pretty mix-n-match. As long as you realize these are not 5 star resorts, but friendly local motels you should be fine. Comfy bed and close to the parks is all that really matters.

This. I think you have to really be careful about online reviews, particularly for motels, as people will look for almost any reason to disparage them because they didn't turn out to be the Four Seasons (housekeeping issues tend to top the complaints, but almost always seem to be resolvable issues). I tend to stay at the Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort on Manchester, which is next to the highway but is safe and clean. Never had any problems. While it isn't much to look at from the outside, the rooms are fairly kept-up. The Carousel Inn should be fine, it seems to have reviews and ratings on par with the Quality Inn I stay at, so the negatives are probably isolated incidents.

Curious Constance

One piece of advice, if you are not taking advantage of early entry on any given day, it's a good idea to start your day at the park that is NOT offering early entry that day. This way crowds will be more managable for longer as long as you are there at opening. That's another thing I would recommend, always arrive at opening. The first 2-3 hours are pure heaven. Around 11-12 is when the crowds start showing up and making things crowded.

Curious Constance

By the way, Disney recently purchased the Carousel Inn (although it's still managed and operated by the old owners) so you can techinally say you're staying at a Disney hotel ;)

Jahona

Original Poster
One piece of advice, if you are not taking advantage of early entry on any given day, it's a good idea to start your day at the park that is NOT offering early entry that day. This way crowds will be more managable for longer as long as you are there at opening. That's another thing I would recommend, always arrive at opening. The first 2-3 hours are pure heaven. Around 11-12 is when the crowds start showing up and making things crowded.

Although the hours of operation haven't been posted yet for March the days we are visiting aren't usually selected for early entry. Arrive Saturday leave Tuesday. It would be nice to take advantage of early opening.

By the way, Disney recently purchased the Carousel Inn (although it's still managed and operated by the old owners) so you can techinally say you're staying at a Disney hotel ;)

if I remember right the rumor was that they wanted to ultimately tear it down to make a pedestrian walkway to land they own on the other side of the hotel.

ForeverAnna

DL has early entry at one of the parks for those staying on property every day so you'll still want to be aware of which one has it. It's usually at DCA Monday Wednesday Friday and Sunday and at DL Tuesday Thursday and Saturday.

catmom46

I ended up booking with a corporate discount for the Carousel Inn. It has a lot of mixed reviews online so this is the only part of my trip that I have a bit of worry about. In honesty I only need a place to sleep as were not going to be spending much time there anyways. If it was just me going then maybe the Disney owned hotels would be an options. Those I'm traveling were more inclined to stay off property. One thing is, it's hard to justify the price of the Disney Hotels. The Grand Californian is about the only one that can maybe earn the price for what you pay. I've stayed at Hotels in Downtown LA for cheaper that were much nicer than what is offered around DL for about the same price range.

I'm planning a 2-night staycation at DLR the last week of January as a birthday gift to myself. First night at Disneyland Hotel, the 2nd at Grand Californian. My first time at either, as I've stayed at Paradise Pier before. Can't wait!

Jahona

Original Poster
So everything is paid for and I'm a month out. I ended up picking up a copy of the unofficial guide and read through it on my way to work. Some info in there was decent some subjective. They really push touring plans which is a bit of a turn off for me personally. I'm currently debating on if I want to bring along any camera gear. I've kinda changed up each trip what I've taken with me. From my DSLR to a GoPro on a 3 axis gimbal. To many choices.

I want to thank everyone for their advice. It's helped in figuring out what to do on things.

Nastory4

So everything is paid for and I'm a month out. I ended up picking up a copy of the unofficial guide and read through it on my way to work. Some info in there was decent some subjective. They really push touring plans which is a bit of a turn off for me personally. I'm currently debating on if I want to bring along any camera gear. I've kinda changed up each trip what I've taken with me. From my DSLR to a GoPro on a 3 axis gimbal. To many choices.

I want to thank everyone for their advice. It's helped in figuring out what to do on things.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip. I am in the process of learning the tricks for DL for the Summer of '17

Phroobar

Good Luck! I know you are going to have the best time ever!

the-reason14

Awesome! Our story is the same, my wife and I visited DLR by ourselves last year (Jan, 2015) and loved it so much that we brought our kids last week. I'll cherish our memories at WDW, but for now our family will be sticking with DLR.

Have a blast on your trip!

This is basically me now. There really isn't any value in going back to WDW for me at least. Not until after the countless construction walls and stuff go down. The biggest deterrent for me is the fast pass. If they hadn't limited it to 3 a day, I might just still be a WDW ap holder. But for now, Disneyland will do as well as heavily discounted trips to WDW with free entry

As far as Disneyland, it is very different for a first timer that comes from WDW. But you will see how convenient and close everything is. No waiting for busses, no long walks from one end of the mk to the other to get to rides, everything is easily accessible. I made note of this in another thread but you're getting near the same amount of rides and attractions that WDW has in just 2 parks, and you don't have to waste time waiting in line and riding busses. So more time to ride and have fun, so have a blast.

Little Green Men

This is basically me now. There really isn't any value in going back to WDW for me at least. Not until after the countless construction walls and stuff go down. The biggest deterrent for me is the fast pass. If they hadn't limited it to 3 a day, I might just still be a WDW ap holder. But for now, Disneyland will do as well as heavily discounted trips to WDW with free entry

As far as Disneyland, it is very different for a first timer that comes from WDW. But you will see how convenient and close everything is. No waiting for busses, no long walks from one end of the mk to the other to get to rides, everything is easily accessible. I made note of this in another thread but you're getting near the same amount of rides and attractions that WDW has in just 2 parks, and you don't have to waste time waiting in line and riding busses. So more time to ride and have fun, so have a blast.
Just checking but you know you can add more fps at a kiosk after you use your three, right?

Figments Friend

Disneyland is a place where you definitely don't need a 'touring plan' like one would assume.
It's supposed to be a 'vacation'....and relaxing.
The beautiful thing about the Park there is that you truly can just walk in the front gate, decide on a whim what you feel like doing, and just go and DO IT.
In just one day, you can do and see so much.

No need to make 'reservations' 6 months in advance.
No need to over-plan every step.
Not at Disneyland.
Just GO and enjoy.

Some of the best moments of your visit will come from non-planned moments just magically happening.

:)

Regarding whether or not to bring your photography gear, that is up to you.
Disneyland Park in particular has some gorgeous eye candy and there are wonderful spots that i am sure you would like to get your own snapshots of.

I would definitely take some time during your visit to photograph some things.
Part of the fun of visiting is coming home and remembering the great time your had while looking at those pictures!

I personally choose one day of my multi-day visit to be 'Photography day' where i purposely carry around my camera and shoot various things.
I like to travel as light as possible when in the Parks, which includes nothing large in the pockets if i can.
So i typically don't carry a camera every day i am there as it turns into a annoying burden.
Something you have to keep your eye on and worry about when flying around on those fast rides...

:D

There are lockers available at the Park for rent if you wish to take of break from carrying your equipment.
A option, should you need it.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom