Finally taking a trip to Disneyland

Jahona

Original Poster
I look forward to your trip report. We are heading out there August of 2017 and that will be 21 years since DW and I have been there.
Guess I will have a lot of homework to do. Enjoy

I got spoiled on how easy it is to book a WDW vacation. Going back to hotel searching and buying things a la carte felt weird. Back to complicated spreadsheets.

Nastory4

I got spoiled on how easy it is to book a WDW vacation. Going back to hotel searching and buying things a la carte felt weird. Back to complicated spreadsheets.
True. After some many visits to the World you know your away around, and also the by pass attractions. I am hoping to have this well researched and make the most out of this trip. Pretty excited to see the differences between the Tower of Terrors and such. Now if my Yankees are playing the Angels when there, that would be extremely "Magical"!

UofMGuy423

Major WDW Vets here, but stopped going after our 2013 trip for many reasons. Tried out DLR last year and loved it and decided to take our 3 kids this time for a week vacation. They loved it too. The best part of the whole trip? We didn't end our vacation exhausted! We ended it completely fulfilled. DLR is such a great change of pace from the chaos of what WDW has become. We're already planning our next DLR trip!

GiveMeTheMusic

No offense, but if you're planning a DLR visit and using complicated spreadsheets you're doing it wrong.

You don't need ADRs for anything but Blue Bayou, unless you're planning to do Chef's Table at Napa Rose. Otherwise week of or day of is plenty of time for other table service locations. Most of them aren't great, so don't fall prey to the WDW mantra of table service every day. It's not necessary at DLR.

All you need is a park tickets, a hotel and the odd ADR for Blue Bayou if you intend to eat there. Park hopping is ridiculously easy since the parks are next door to each other, and there are no FP+ reservations. If your ticket includes an early entry option, you'll want to pick which day to use that, and that's pretty much it.

Over planning at DLR will actually be a detriment. You can just show up and enjoy yourself for a few days - like people used to be able to do at WDW!

Nastory4

No offense, but if you're planning a DLR visit and using complicated spreadsheets you're doing it wrong.

You don't need ADRs for anything but Blue Bayou, unless you're planning to do Chef's Table at Napa Rose. Otherwise week of or day of is plenty of time for other table service locations. Most of them aren't great, so don't fall prey to the WDW mantra of table service every day. It's not necessary at DLR.

All you need is a park tickets, a hotel and the odd ADR for Blue Bayou if you intend to eat there. Park hopping is ridiculously easy since the parks are next door to each other, and there are no FP+ reservations. If your ticket includes an early entry option, you'll want to pick which day to use that, and that's pretty much it.

Over planning at DLR will actually be a detriment. You can just show up and enjoy yourself for a few days - like people used to be able to do at WDW!
I fall into the same scenario with the "ease" of making reservations at WDW. Not sure if my personality will let me by-pass planning. I feel like I'll be naughty with no game plan.

ljs1691

Major WDW Vets here, but stopped going after our 2013 trip for many reasons. Tried out DLR last year and loved it and decided to take our 3 kids this time for a week vacation. They loved it too. The best part of the whole trip? We didn't end our vacation exhausted! We ended it completely fulfilled. DLR is such a great change of pace from the chaos of what WDW has become. We're already planning our next DLR trip!

This is exactly our family. 2013 was our last WDW trip for a list of reasons. Hubby and I went out to DLR last Jan for our anniversary and fell in love with it. We are leaving in 11 days to take our two youngest kids and grandma. I agree, the pace is SO enjoyable and the crowds are friendlier.

UofMGuy423

This is exactly our family. 2013 was our last WDW trip for a list of reasons. Hubby and I went out to DLR last Jan for our anniversary and fell in love with it. We are leaving in 11 days to take our two youngest kids and grandma. I agree, the pace is SO enjoyable and the crowds are friendlier.

Awesome! Our story is the same, my wife and I visited DLR by ourselves last year (Jan, 2015) and loved it so much that we brought our kids last week. I'll cherish our memories at WDW, but for now our family will be sticking with DLR.

Have a blast on your trip!

UofMGuy423

DLR to me feels like WDW of the late 90s/early 00's, when it was clean, fun and enjoyable. You didn't need to over plan and you could get fast passes at your convenience.

Jahona

Original Poster

It's not spreadsheets for planning out the day down to the T. It's for budgeting and deciding hotels and travel options. WDW I know the quality of the resorts and where in general where I would like to stay. Disneyland is foreign to me so I place hotel, airfare, and other things into a spreadsheet.

Jahona

Original Poster
I took friends in 2014 that had never been to WDW before. Both of them really enjoyed going. One of them is joining me on this trip to Disneyland. I've heard that Disneyland is a breath of fresh air from it's Florida cousin. I'm trying to not create any expectations and go in blind. Seeing a Disney park again for the first time.

fosse76

It's not spreadsheets for planning out the day down to the T. It's for budgeting and deciding hotels and travel options. WDW I know the quality of the resorts and where in general where I would like to stay. Disneyland is foreign to me so I place hotel, airfare, and other things into a spreadsheet.
I feel the same way about the WDW and DLR hotels. You know what you're getting and don't have to worry. Off-site can be very different. The hotels in Anaheim can be a mixed bag as far as quality, but don't discount the the hotels/motels across the street on Harbor Blvd. Some are very good. There are two directly in front of the pedestrian entrance that people seem to think are very good (I think they are the Desert Inn and Best Western Park Place Inn), and there is also a Marriott (Fairfield Inn I think). I've heard great things about the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd too, which really goeas after DLR guests. And they aren't outrageously priced. The more "deluxe" hotels are a little further south (and if price is no option, there are always the DLR properties, too).

Jahona

Original Poster
there are always the DLR properties, too).

I ended up booking with a corporate discount for the Carousel Inn. It has a lot of mixed reviews online so this is the only part of my trip that I have a bit of worry about. In honesty I only need a place to sleep as were not going to be spending much time there anyways. If it was just me going then maybe the Disney owned hotels would be an options. Those I'm traveling were more inclined to stay off property. One thing is, it's hard to justify the price of the Disney Hotels. The Grand Californian is about the only one that can maybe earn the price for what you pay. I've stayed at Hotels in Downtown LA for cheaper that were much nicer than what is offered around DL for about the same price range.

Curious Constance

I ended up booking with a corporate discount for the Carousel Inn. It has a lot of mixed reviews online so this is the only part of my trip that I have a bit of worry about. In honesty I only need a place to sleep as were not going to be spending much time there anyways. If it was just me going then maybe the Disney owned hotels would be an options. Those I'm traveling were more inclined to stay off property. One thing is, it's hard to justify the price of the Disney Hotels. The Grand Californian is about the only one that can maybe earn the price for what you pay. I've stayed at Hotels in Downtown LA for cheaper that were much nicer than what is offered around DL for about the same price range.
I agree that it's REALLY hard to justify the hotel prices when you're mostly only in the room to sleep. Especially when the non resort hotels are sometimes just as close. I've stayed at both Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel and while we loved them both, it's just too hard to cough up the money to stay there again. We've stayed on Harbor the last few trips and had good experiences. I've never stayed at the Carousel Inn, but my friend did last year. It suited her needs, but she was annoyed by a couple things. For example, the lights have a motion detector she said, so if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, it woke everyone else up.

Jahona

Original Poster
For example, the lights have a motion detector she said, so if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, it woke everyone else up.

Ok so I'll make sure to tell my party to either hold it or bring depends..... I can sleep through almost anything so lights on and off won't bother me. Others I can't say the same. That is a weird feature to have. I can understand the cost cutting during the day but having a light switch is still a great permanent off solution.

GiveMeTheMusic

The onsite hotels are way overpriced. The Grand is only worth it (maybe) for the location. The rooms are average at best and kind of embarrassing for the "level" of hotel it's supposed to be.

Anyway, sounds like you're off to a great start! Have a great time!

BubbaQuest

I ended up booking with a corporate discount for the Carousel Inn. It has a lot of mixed reviews online so this is the only part of my trip that I have a bit of worry about.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the hotels on Harbor Blvd are pretty mix-n-match. As long as you realize these are not 5 star resorts, but friendly local motels you should be fine. Comfy bed and close to the parks is all that really matters.

...the lights have a motion detector she said, so if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, it woke everyone else up.

I've been noticing this in more and more hotels. Duct tape is your friend :)

Curious Constance

Ok so I'll make sure to tell my party to either hold it or bring depends..... I can sleep through almost anything so lights on and off won't bother me. Others I can't say the same. That is a weird feature to have. I can understand the cost cutting during the day but having a light switch is still a great permanent off solution.
If I'm not mistaken, she said there is a pizza place in parking lot area that she said was really good. I want to say it was a make your own pizza kind of place, can't remember for sure. When do you go? I'll ask her if she has any other tips.

Jahona

Original Poster
If I'm not mistaken, she said there is a pizza place in parking lot area that she said was really good. I want to say it was a make your own pizza kind of place, can't remember for sure. When do you go? I'll ask her if she has any other tips.

I'll be there March 5th to the 8th. Also realized I might be back in the area again at the end of July for SIGGRAPH conference.

JediMasterMatt

http://thepizzapress.com/

We usually grab a bite to eat there a few times each trip. Very convenient and fast.

Just a reminder in this threat for DLR newbies that are use to WDW - don't try to make your DL visit into what you have made your WDW trips into - lengthy battle plans with countless planning time spent in a effort to get the most out your vacation.

Take my word for it... you don't need to at DLR and it's much better if you don't.

Simply plan where you want to start your day and where you think you want to end your day. The start part is always nice as it will allow you to decide what time you want to wake up. The end part is nice because you should factor in the Nighttime Spectaculars you want to see. Let everything else unfold as the day goes along. If you do, you will be surprised by the magic you will encounter.

Last week (the very wet week it was) was simply great for us. Our unplanned arrival time one day allowed us to enter DL, catch the Dan's out on Main Street and then we ran into Bert and Mary dancing it up with the Band in front of the Castle. All without ever taking a look at a times guide or make a reservation.

DLR serves as an affirmation to a Disney Parks fan of why we fell in love with them to begin with.

WDW recently is like looking through the rear window of your car as it drives further and further away from home. You can still see and remember the feeling of home; but, it just keeps getting further away and more out of focus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom