Finally made it onto Under the Sea...not impressed

jlsHouston

so question, which clam ride is better? Nemo or TLM?

You know I can understand Nemo...I mean the sequence. But TLM did kind of remind me of Nemo. I haven't ridden it in a while though and I have only been on TLM once, so I don't which is better. But they are similar attractions.

copcarguyp71

so question, which clam ride is better? Nemo or TLM?

I look at Nemo as a segway into a full blown attraction/pavillion and TLM as what should be an attraction unto itself. In my mind hard to compare but at least Nemo utilized a little Disney magic with the projections into the aquarium...would have been awesome to see that kind of effort on TLM in my opinion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I look at Nemo as a segway into a full blown attraction/pavillion and TLM as what should be an attraction unto itself. In my mind hard to compare but at least Nemo utilized a little Disney magic with the projections into the aquarium...would have been awesome to see that kind of effort on TLM in my opinion.

I tend to agree. People hate the idea of screens but I think they're used quite effectively in Nemo...except for the EAC portion which looks really bad.

cosmicray

When you design a park for kids, this is what you get:

https://storybookland.com/

This is a cute park, and a great place to take your kids, but the attractions are mainly for kids, adults won't be to excited about most of them and I doubt you would ever see adults here without children. Disney has always tried to have attractions that can be enjoyed equally by all members of the family. Now, not all attractions at Disney appeal equally to all ages, but the number that appeal to only a very narrow demographic is pretty small. This is the difference between a true family park, and a park where the whole family goes just for the enjoyment of the kids.
Used to live by there, went by all the time, though never went in...Cool to see that posted here :)

MarkTwain

The problem with Mermaid... there's no adaptation to the ride medium, at all. Imagineering thought that if you took a popular animated movie and recreated its scenes with animatronics, and then moved an omnimover through them, then you would have a successful ride... but that's just not it works. That's not even how successful movie-based rides work. The adaptation of the movie into ride form is so literal that it leaves nothing to interpretation or the unique experience of the ride format.

Think about every other successful movie-based ride... they all adapted the story to the ride experience in a way that served the ride first and the movie second. Rides like Mr. Toad's, Snow White, and Splash Mountain often barely captured the story of the movie at all. They were popular and memorable because they were well crafted ride experiences that focused more on mood or experience than on specific scenes, or even on the movie's plot in general. Because Mr. Toad's focused first on being a zany car ride, Snow White on spookiness and mood, Indiana Jones on peril and adventure, Peter Pan on the experience of flight, and Splash Mountain on the music and cheerful warmth of Song of the South, they worked regardless of one's familiarity with Disney movies and independently of any source material.

The Little Mermaid tries so hard to recreate the movie that its attempts to do so becomes the central focus of the attraction, and everyone's discussions of the ride focuses on whether it does so successfully or not. The strange truth is that the Little Mermaid actually retells the movie better than probably 90% of movie-based attractions. But that shouldn't be the point. No hour and a half movie can ever be recreated in a five minute format, not should it be. And that Little Mermaid spent all of its time/budget/space on doing so meant it had to forgo the things that dark rides are traditionally based on - placemaking, mood, and the fun of the experience. That's why I'm not hugely confident the refurb is actually going to really fix anything; sure, it's going to add more plot-based elements to try and tell the story better, but in the end it's still compressing a DVD anyone can watch at home into a CliffNotes format instead of offering a unique ride experience. As long as WDI worships its recent obsession with "story, story, story," I imagine they'll continue to miss the point.

MarkTwain

I was going to edit, but it seemed like a different point so I wrote a new post instead... many people talk about budget and I'm not sure how much it's actually relevant. The fact of the matter is we KNOW it's not a cheap ride - it's a $100 million dark ride - so Imagineering's questionable spending practices aside, there's clearly some issues here besides just the ride's budget. And even though many criticize the many simple spinning "animatronics" (and yes, they are cheesy), there are some nicely high-caliber animatronics in there too. But even if you WERE to spend twice on the ride and make sure every animatronic were Ursula quality, I'm not sure the ride would be a vastly better experience. The truth is that Peter Pan does more with tinfoil volcanoes and simple nodding figures than Little Mermaid can do with tens of millions of animatronic technology, and that comes down not to budget but to creative implementation. All the money and fancy animatronics in the world can't help you if you don't utilize them properly, and I don't think Imagineering did in this case.

Chef Mickey

The problem with Mermaid... there's no adaptation to the ride medium, at all. Imagineering thought that if you took a popular animated movie and recreated its scenes with animatronics, and then moved an omnimover through them, then you would have a successful ride... but that's just not it works. That's not even how successful movie-based rides work. The adaptation of the movie into ride form is so literal that it leaves nothing to interpretation or the unique experience of the ride format.

Think about every other successful movie-based ride... they all adapted the story to the ride experience in a way that served the ride first and the movie second. Rides like Mr. Toad's, Snow White, and Splash Mountain often barely captured the story of the movie at all. They were popular and memorable because they were well crafted ride experiences that focused more on mood or experience than on specific scenes, or even on the movie's plot in general. Because Mr. Toad's focused first on being a zany car ride, Snow White on spookiness and mood, Indiana Jones on peril and adventure, Peter Pan on the experience of flight, and Splash Mountain on the music and cheerful warmth of Song of the South, they worked regardless of one's familiarity with Disney movies and independently of any source material.

The Little Mermaid tries so hard to recreate the movie that its attempts to do so becomes the central focus of the attraction, and everyone's discussions of the ride focuses on whether it does so successfully or not. The strange truth is that the Little Mermaid actually retells the movie better than probably 90% of movie-based attractions. But that shouldn't be the point. No hour and a half movie can ever be recreated in a five minute format, not should it be. And that Little Mermaid spent all of its time/budget/space on doing so meant it had to forgo the things that dark rides are traditionally based on - placemaking, mood, and the fun of the experience. That's why I'm not hugely confident the refurb is actually going to really fix anything; sure, it's going to add more plot-based elements to try and tell the story better, but in the end it's still compressing a DVD anyone can watch at home into a CliffNotes format instead of offering a unique ride experience. As long as WDI worships its recent obsession with "story, story, story," I imagine they'll continue to miss the point.
Couldn't agree more. The rehash of the story with the omnimover ride system was just a lazy way to make a ride and check the box "done."

Somehow, it should have focused on an "under the sea" or water theme. Really get creative with the ride system and immerse guests in that experience. Honestly, we all know the story and it could have been a looser interpretation of the movie. It's almost like an engineer came up with the premise. First we show this, then this, then the ending. Very linear and by the book.

Omnimovers are great, but it doesn't work for this ride in its current setup. There is only one reason they used this system....get em on, get em out.

Glasgow

Its a people eater, pure and simple. And I suppose in that respect, it's a success. MK sorely needed extra capacity to go along with their newly upgraded land. I imagine based on the approved budget and attendance numbers, it made more sense to have two C/D tix rather than one signature E .. hence the compromises made to LM.

It's just my opinion, of course .. it is FL, after all, a land ostensibly focused on the little ones. Would've been nice to see some more money spent on the show aspect though, of course. I give it a C+.

I think if they were to produce another E ticket in MK it would show up as an Indy Speedway or COP replacement (COP would be moved to another park, of course .. don't flip out! ha) and give TL the lift it needs.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I was going to edit, but it seemed like a different point so I wrote a new post instead... many people talk about budget and I'm not sure how much it's actually relevant. The fact of the matter is we KNOW it's not a cheap ride - it's a $100 million dark ride - so Imagineering's questionable spending practices aside, there's clearly some issues here besides just the ride's budget. And even though many criticize the many simple spinning "animatronics" (and yes, they are cheesy), there are some nicely high-caliber animatronics in there too. But even if you WERE to spend twice on the ride and make sure every animatronic were Ursula quality, I'm not sure the ride would be a vastly better experience. The truth is that Peter Pan does more with tinfoil volcanoes and simple nodding figures than Little Mermaid can do with tens of millions of animatronic technology, and that comes down not to budget but to creative implementation. All the money and fancy animatronics in the world can't help you if you don't utilize them properly, and I don't think Imagineering did in this case.
Am I the only one that thinks that Disney dropped the ball by NOT having this one dump into a gift shop?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've only been on the ride twice...I know there's the sort of elaborate way we move underwater, do we ever go back out of the water in the end, or are we under the sea the rest of the day?

No, you go back to the surface right before the Kiss the Girl scene and it uses pretty much the same effects as the descent.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Am I the only one that thinks that Disney dropped the ball by NOT having this one dump into a gift shop?

I think it's odd that a Little Mermaid gift shop wasn't one of the things on the back of the Mine Ride. I really thought what became the DVC area was going to be a gift shop. Gift shops are not high on my list of things I want to see more of at MK, but it would rather have that then a DVC stand.

Last edited:

ZodIsGr8

I think overall that this ride falls somewhere between good and great. It has a great queue, so you don't mind the wait and then the ride is very relaxing and enjoyable to watch and listen to. Try letting go of the part of you that naturally wants to judge and critique and instead just take the ride in. Once I allowed myself to do that I found myself enjoying the ride more and more. I also really love the fact that it has helped reduce the congestion in Old Fantasyland and once the SDMT opens we will really see a difference! Happy Easter everyone!

cw1982

I also really love the fact that it has helped reduce the congestion in Old Fantasyland and once the SDMT opens we will really see a difference! Happy Easter everyone!

You think SDMT will reduce congestion? I figured, if anything, it will probably add more to the numbers of people visiting, and thus will ultimately add to the congestion. Maybe once the hype dies down and things go back to normal... but how long should that take? I think it'll be a while before we see SDMT provide any kind of congestion relief.

Tomi-Rocket

I enjoyed it and will want to do it whenever I can.

However, I never worry about people seeing me on a ride. Who cares? I found that complaint a strange one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom