Finally made it onto Under the Sea...not impressed

horizons82

Original Poster
I know it's been around for some time now, but I only just recently made it onto the Under the Sea-Journey of The Little Mermaid ride. Waits were often long and the one time we had a FP the ride itself broke down, so it took a while to finally make it on. Being part of the whole, big "new" Fantasyland, I expected it to be a pretty cool and sophisticated attraction with it being a newer ride and all.

Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed.

The clam-shell omnimover car idea is cute, but the cars themselves are WAY too close together. This makes it even worse when a lot of the ride has the cars at a slant angle where you view the insides of other cars and see so many other people. The large room filled with the characters is awful because for a time the cars face each other from opposite sides of the room, so your attention is drawn toward seeing the people (as well as being self-conscious about others seeing you). This design MASSIVELY takes away from the idea of being immersed into a ride and the fantasy world it presents.

With it being a newer ride I expected a little more in terms of advancement of the animatronics, but there were so many basic-looking things here with most things/animals just spinning or making the most simple of movements.

The actual concept of the visuals of the ride was good, and I liked going down (and below) at the beginning. I also thought a lot of the individual scenes had great potential, but they were not nearly as visually impressive as they could be (and again, the closeness of the cars and seeing so many riders in them distracted from this).

Overall, it was a good concept with the potential for great visuals and with so many characters it could have really pushed the envelope with animatronics.

But the cons far outweight the pros as it felt like it was all put together in a very rushed way, attention to details were almost non-existent, I saw animatronics that should have been moving that were not, and the animatronics that were there were very basic (except for perhaps Ursula, who was OK). Certain visuals COULD have been so much better, but looked like they were finished half-heartedly.

In should have been a fun ride and could have been a visual treat for the eyes and senses, but in my opinion it ended up feeling kind of cheap and dated-looking for such a newer attraction. And dated-looking isn't a bad thing when you have the charm and joy that comes with older Disney attractions, but this one seemed to miss the mark on so many levels.

All IMHO of course.

Other thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

My main issues with it are: (1) the lighting is far too bright, exposing the cheapness of the figures, the ugly non-themed ceilings and other nooks and crannies, and taking away from the illusion of being underwater; (2) the video screens (e.g., showing Ariel's transformation) look fake and discordant; and (3) the story the attraction is attempting to tell is so truncated that someone who hasn't seen the movie in awhile (or ever) will have no idea how the story suddenly got resolved at the end.

Ben_since_1971

I will agree that there isn't a lot of wow factor. But I look at it like a 2000's version of the traditional dark ride. Not one of my favorites, but one I will ride when I do visit.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It ain't Splash Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, or Forbidden Journey, but as a "ride through the plot of the movie" ride, it's good. The effects in Peter Pan's Flight are just as cheap, and the character figures just as unspecial. I like Little Mermaid (I've only ridden at DCA) for the massive Under the Sea scene, which has a ton going on all around you, and the Ursula figure, which is, IMHO, much better than any animated character AAs.

Chef Mickey

Total "meh" from me as well....I honestly feel like the entire New Fantasyland is basically a joke. The best part of New Fantasyland is that it made Fantasyland bigger. I'd MUCH rather ride Small World, Peter Pan, and Pooh than anything in the new area. Some of the architecture is nice, but that's about it. Feels like they rushed/half-assed it.

Under the Sea was clearly on a budget or just a good concept horribly,executed. I agree wholeheartedly that it's MUCH too bright, too many cars, and generally cheaply designed. The ending does feel abrupt while not really telling much of a story. I don't like the narration either...annoying.

I know it sounds like complaining, but Disney could and should have done better for one of the most loved and classic Disney movies of all time.

jimbo mack

I was also disappointed, the whole ride seems so 'unimaginative' which goes against the principles of what Disney stands for. I'll go on the ride just for the sake of the songs they play. If the queue is more than 15-20 minutes, forget it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It ain't Splash Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, or Forbidden Journey, but as a "ride through the plot of the movie" ride, it's good. The effects in Peter Pan's Flight are just as cheap, and the character figures just as unspecial. I like Little Mermaid (I've only ridden at DCA) for the massive Under the Sea scene, which has a ton going on all around you, and the Ursula figure, which is, IMHO, much better than any animated character AAs.
Interesting comparison to PP. A beloved attraction with consistently long waits. TDO removes Snow White and long ago Toad and people complain. They put in a dark ride which is actually a step above standard dark rides and people complain.

horizons82

Original Poster
I can see some comparisons being made between Under the Sea and Peter Pan, but I find PP much more 'magical' and I can at least lose myself on that ride (although I won't wait more than 30 mins for it).

The other problem is that we really shouldn't be able to compare attractions that are nearly 40 years apart from each other. I think the fact that one can find comparisons between something from 1971 and 2012 pretty much sums up some of the problems with the one that was made 40 years later.

lebeau

Interesting comparison to PP. A beloved attraction with consistently long waits. TDO removes Snow White and long ago Toad and people complain. They put in a dark ride which is actually a step above standard dark rides and people complain.

I'll take PP over TLM any day. Yes, the tech is better in the newer ride. But the execution is key. TLM completely misses the boat. PP does more with less.

Mr. Peabody

Technology isn't everything, though. I think people prefer Peter Pan's Flight because, in their opinion, the storytelling is superior (and I would agree with that assessment).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Technology isn't everything, though. I think people prefer Peter Pan's Flight because, in their opinion, the storytelling is superior (and I would agree with that assessment).
If technology was everything, we'd all love screen-based stuff.

My response was a reaction to the OPs, whose post focused a lot on quality of the AAs, and simple movements/effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom