FEBRUARY Never Again!!!!!!!!!

Retroman40

I've always felt the biggest mistake you can make at Disney (other than forgetting where you parked your car) is unrealistic expectations. From my observations the place hasn't even been that particularly busy most of the time recently. Cheerleaders and tour groups are minor annoyances that can generally be avoided. Sure, the line will be long for the 7DMT and FEA but that's just how it is - we need to accept that and "let it go". Recently most attractions have had moderate stand by wait times for most of the day, especially early and later. I have to wonder who believes that they will find "walk-on's" at too many attractions during the day anytime anymore. I am truly sorry the OP is having a less than magical time but as is often stated sometimes you just have to make your own magic.

Kenny1132

Really I think the best times to go are right after Thanksgiving, and right after Labor day when all the schools in the country have just started back up. But I was there in October 2015 and it was easy, the only thing we had to wait for longer than 25 minutes was Mine Train which was fine by me because that queue is awesome. Heck we rode Everest 6 times in about a half hour on our AK day. You just have to pick the right time to go nowadays.

MacVenture

Look, I completely understand the need to vent but a public forum is NEVER a good idea. It makes you look bad! This rant sounds like one of those "this is my world, and everyone else is just in it!". I understand you are angry, but look at the silver lining-you are at Disney World (not at work) and you are with your family (there is no rewind button in life-enjoy the time now)! Enjoy the warm weather, take it easy at the pool, there are a million things to do in and around the World.

G00fyDad

Our last trip was in 2013 :( and it was a walk on for every ride in the morning. We got to the parks at opening and had ridden all of the major things at least once (sometimes twice in a row) before the crowds came rushing in. At that point we relied on our FP+ and just casually walked around shopping. Although I am sure that the days of October early morning walk-ons are over it is still all in how you plan your day.

Clamman73

It was winter break here on LI, and I knew of one family that was going who knew of a few other families that were going...that Presidents day week will be winter break for a lot northeast schools. Have to grin and bear it if you want to be there that week.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH DISNEY THIS WEEK? My husband, myself and our three DD's are here at what was SUPPOSED TO BE the happiest place on earth. We arrived Tuesday 2/21 and stay thru this Wednesday 3/01. THE CROWDS ARE INSANE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! Kids everywhere lines have been TERRIBLE!!! It feels like something out of a bad dream that you think will be over the next day........but NOOOOOOO!. Since when did schools start having Spring Break in FEBRUARY??? This is FEBRUARY!!!!! We took this vacation at the spur of the moment knowing we would be arriving during a SLOW time of year, if this is even a thing any more??? Do people not let their precious little angels go to school any more? Oh of course not, they have to crowd up the parks in the middle of WINTER! I am sorry to sound this upset but we were not expecting the crowds we have encountered so far during the dead of winter season. I understand why February 20 would be busy as it is a holiday. I can understand why the weekend days before would be busy, as those attach on to a 3 day weekend for many schools. So guess what? We avoided those days because of that. But the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday AFTER????? THIS IS NOT SPRING BREAK YET. We planned on purpose to arrive AFTER the holiday weekend so we could actually, you know, ENJOY THE PARKS WITHOUT IT FEELING LIKE SUMMER OR NEW YEAR. Well you can guess how this has paid us back so far. I will tell you never again. Never EVER again. I am beyond PO'd. Even our DD's are over it. No we are not wanting to cut the trip short or anything but would be nice if people would get their brats back in SCHOOL WHEN IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SPRING BREAK YET SO MAYBE THOSE OF US WHO AVOID RUSH TIMES CAN ENJOY THE PARKS WE PAY OVER 100.00 A DAY FOR WITHOUT BEING BUMPED PUSHED AND HAVING TO WAIT BEHIND EVERY OTHER FAMILY IN THE USA. Is that too much to ask? To take a vacation in FEBRUARY and actually it feel like February? We also knew that by going now we would avoid the opening of Avatar and have most of DHS under construction. Guess what? PACKED! Parks are packed. What are people flooding into DHS to look at? Construction walls???? It was a mess and a zoo there yet people packed in like sardines like their life depended on it this week. GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LET THOSE OF US WHO FOR YEARS TREASURED A LITTLE OFF SEASON HAVE IT BACK AGAIN! You can clog up the parks during the summer or spring break or winter holidays. I work as a middle school counselor so I KNOW those are times to avoid when everyone is free to travel. So what do we do? We stay HOME during those times, and plan accordingly when we KNOW or thought we knew the parks would be slow. I am sitting here in our POP room at 3 in the morning just shaking thinking about how everything we thought this week would be has backfired on us. Shorter lines in middle of February? WRONG! Not having to feel like you're walking through Manhattan just to find a seat at quick service? WRONG! Will be visiting the parks again in the month of February? WRONG!!! Thank you for a lovely week but no thanks. This woman is ready for some peace and quiet after this is all said and done. A tip to all you wanting to go this time of year........... BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!

:rolleyes:

MickeyMomV

Went back in 2007 in late September, crowds then were minimal. Case in point, my sister and I got to ride Space Mountain twice in 15 minutes due to lines not being there. Jump to 2016 late September again, crowds crowds and more crowds. The Disney World resort has become extremely popular over the years. There really are no longer low crowd days anymore. Pretty much when you go on a "down time", everyone else will go during said "down time".
Keep in mind that 2007 trip was in the period leading up to the 2008 recession. Starting in 2005 property values started to drop, people started losing their jobs, and the government started issuing bailouts to banks and auto makers. Even Disney felt the pain of the economy at the time. That is a big reason why a lot of people who are only able to make it to the parks every 5-10 years remember a time where they could walk on rides and they look at "crowd calendars" and think that a 4 or a 5 means the same as it did back then. With todays economy more and more people can afford to go and they do.

G00fyDad

Keep in mind that 2007 trip was in the period leading up to the 2008 recession. Starting in 2005 property values started to drop, people started losing their jobs, and the government started issuing bailouts to banks and auto makers. Even Disney felt the pain of the economy at the time. That is a big reason why a lot of people who are only able to make it to the parks every 5-10 years remember a time where they could walk on rides and they look at "crowd calendars" and think that a 4 or a 5 means the same as it did back then. With todays economy more and more people can afford to go and they do.

True. We can afford to go but are waiting. It started out with an intention to return in 2015 (every other year for us) but I changed careers and was not going to be able to just take off work easily. Then in 2016 everything started getting boarded up for refurbs and builds. We decided then that we'd wait until SWL was done and had been open for about a year before we go again. But when we go again we are still going to use a lot of crowd predictors and many sources of information to determine the best time to go and how to handle each day. You know what I am NOT going to do? I will not get on the forums and b***h about the crowd size. ;)

KBLovedDisney

@MickeyMomV you make a very good point! I didn't even think of the recession coming into play. Now looking at other theme parks that have crumbled due to the economy around it failing makes perfect sense.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, like Disney can control when school districts all over the country take winter or spring breaks....

What a completely useless, self serving, entitled, and inaccurate rant. After your initial post, I'd be embarrassed to admit I'm a school guidance counselor..... Do you tell parents of the kids you counsel their children are brats? Need to find a new career, dear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom