Fears: Discussion and Examination Thread

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Lovely little topic.

We're all scared of something(s). As of now I have 2 major fears, including:

Heights: Whenever i get to a certain height, my stomach starts to drop and i freeze. It's why i refuse to get on an airplane whatsoever. My family has always talked about traveling but instead of driving, flying. I'm like nopenopenopenope.jpg and scurry off into the corner biting my nails (the scurry off part doesnt happen, just there for added effect.)

Tornadoes: These freak me the hell out, man. I can handle thunder and lightning but when that alert pops up that says "Tornado Warning, take shelter now!" i get extremely worried. I guess it has to do with living in Maryland (Baltimore to be exact) and not really having to experience them like the Midwest would, but here lately i've had to almost take shelter a few times and i keep telling people one day we're going to get nailed. The only time i was truly scared was walking home from hanging out with a friend as the warning was about to be activated and as soon as i got in, the alarm went off.

...Here we can share the things that scare us, and hopefully maybe even help each other out with our fears. Let's go. xP

StarWarsGirl

Yesterday when I was at Epcot, a bee crawled up my arm. It must've been quite interesting to watch me completely lose my mind over it. Later, I still had a creepy-crawly feeling. I guess we have our answer. I'm not allergic to bee stings and have gotten stung by stepping on a bee without even realizing it, but for some reason am still petrified of bees.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have a fear of getting lost. If I'm in an area that's unfamiliar to me, and if I don't have a map showing exactly where all the streets lead to, I panic. It's irrational, I know, but I suppose most fears are irrational. Think I've had this fear ever since I was a little kid and I got lost in a large dept. store in the city, and couldn't find my mother. Thought I'd never see her again. (Happy ending though--a police officer in the store found her for me. :) )

BuddyThomas

In New York, we're afraid of everything so, in no particular order:

Getting pushed in front of an oncoming subway train

Getting mugged

Identity theft

Getting blown up by a terrorist in a plane, train, bus or building

Getting shot by a loon in a movie theatre

Getting fired

Going broke by buying a ticket for a Broadway show (current prices hover in the $150 - $175 zone)

Getting fat

Getting old

Working out and eating right every day and getting cancer anyway

Anthrax

Donald Trump somehow getting elected President

Another hurricane

The entire transit system going down because someone decided to hurl themselves in front of a train during rush hour

Student loans going into default

Still paying back student loans when in Shady Pines Home for the Aged (Who am I kidding? I'll never be able to afford an old folks home!)

Debt

Food poisoning

Disease

Alzheimer's

Old pets that are going to die soon

Knowing that I'm wasting time watching 3 hours of Big Brother every week when that could be spent on anything else

Legionnaire's Disease

Not knowing if my partner of over 10 years is EVER going to put out again (free answer - doubtful)

Not knowing who is going to crawl over for a visit next (cockroach, mouse, etc)

Not knowing what the cat is going to bring home next (mouse, bird, etc)

The zombie apocalypse (kidding)

The zombie apocalypse sucking again on The Walking Dead like last season (not kidding)

Not knowing when I'm next going to have to get into another brawl with someone on here about whales in captivity, the joys of "Drunkytown" or not tipping, and knowing that it won't matter anyway

My liver deciding it has finally had enough and booking the next flight to Timbuktu

All my friends getting married and popping out kids and moving to other states (oh wait, that one already happened)

Dying and being reincarnated into a fly that gets swat immediately upon first flight

Dying and being reincarnated into a dog in an abusive household

Dying and being reincarnated into a captive whale at Sea World

Dying and going to hell

Dying and then there is nothing after that - just nothingness

Dying (did I say dying?)

North Korea

Russia under Putin

The Taliban

ISIS

The fear that maybe I'm a talentless hack and my entire career has been a fraud

The fear that I will never get cast on the Anazing Race, no matter how many times I audition

The fear that the 50 is coming sooner than I think and the 40 seems like it was just yesterday, and I was all hysterical about the 40, and now that seems young!

And while there are surely 1,000 others let's end (for the 2 people still reading this) with:

Not knowing when I will ever be able to afford a WDW trip again that is as amazing as the last one!

Yeah. Pretty much afraid of everything.

;)

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

Getting mugged

Identity theft

Getting fired

Going broke by buying a ticket for a Broadway show (current prices hover in the $150 - $175 zone)

Getting fat

Getting old

Anthrax

Another hurricane

The entire transit system going down because someone decided to hurl themselves in front of a train during rush hour

Still paying back student loans when in Shady Pines Hime for the Aged (Who am I kidding? I'll never be able to afford an old folks home!)

Debt

Food poisoning

Disease

Alzheimer's

Knowing that I'm wasting time watching 3 hours of Big Brother every week when that could be spent on anything else

Legionnaire's Disease

Not knowing if my partner of over 10 years is EVER going to put out again (free answer - doubtful)

The zombie apocalypse sucking again on The Walking Dead like last season (not kidding)

Not knowing when I'm next going to have to get into another brawl with someone on here about whales in captivity, the joys of "Drunkytown" or not tipping, and knowing that it won't matter anyway

My liver deciding it has finally had enough and booking the next flight to Timbuktu

All my friends getting married and popping out kids and moving to other states (oh wait, that one already happened)

Dying and being reincarnated into a fly that gets swat immediately upon first flight

Dying and going to hell

Dying (did I say dying?)

North Korea

Russia under Putin

The Taliban

ISIS

The fear that I will never get cast on the Anazing Race, no matter how many times I audition

The fear that the 50 is coming sooner than I think and the 40 seems like it was just yesterday, and I was all hysterical about the 40, and now that seems young!

And while there are surely 1,000 others let's end (for the 2 people still reading this) with:

Not knowing when I will ever be able to afford a WDW trip again that is as amazing as the last one!

;)

1) I read the whe thing ;)
2) Also being from NY I can say that at least 5 (possibly more) of those are not irrational fears, but more legitimate concerns.

Me - I'm scared of heights. And falling. The two are pretty much intertwined fears.

BuddyThomas

1) I read the whe thing ;)
2) Also being from NY I can say that at least 5 (possibly more) of those are not irrational fears, but more legitimate concerns.

Me - I'm scared of heights. And falling. The two are pretty much intertwined fears.
In that case, you'd better not see that new Robert Zemeckis movie about the guy who tight rope walked across the World Trade Center towers. I think it's called The Walk and it comes out this fall. The preview made me weak in the knees and I'm not even afraid of heights.

catmom46

Getting mugged

Identity theft

Getting fired

Getting fat

Getting old

Anthrax

Another hurricane

Still paying back student loans when in Shady Pines Home for the Aged (Who am I kidding? I'll never be able to afford an old folks home!)

Debt

Food poisoning

Disease

Alzheimer's

Legionnaire's Disease

Dying and going to hell

Dying (did I say dying?)

North Korea

Russia under Putin

The Taliban

ISIS

;)

Let's see, out of all of those the ones that stood out for me were putting out and Amazing Race! So that tells you where my priorities are. :p

catmom46

LOL. Yeah those are both concerns. And don't think you're getting off so easy. What are your fears?

Hmmm...I will have to think about it and get back to you. :D

No, really, I will get back to you. I'm off work now and going to fight rush hour traffic. :in pain:

NYwdwfan

In that case, you'd better not see that new Robert Zemeckis movie about the guy who tight rope walked across the World Trade Center towers. I think it's called The Walk and it comes out this fall. The preview made me weak in the knees and I'm not even afraid of heights.

That's the one with Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who - to me - will always be "the kid from 3rd Rock From The Sun")? Yeah - I saw that preview when we saw Jurassic World and it made me feel woozy.

I thought of another fear - never seeing the Jets win a Super Bowl. Again - not so much a fear - but more of a legitimate concern.

catmom46

Before becoming a parent, my biggest fear was having to endure extreme physical pain. Now that I have a daughter, my biggest fears are losing her and something terrible happening to her. I know it's normal for parents to feel some degree of this, but there are times when I'm literally paralyzed with fear thinking about all the horrible things that could happen. I'm able to snap myself out of it, but it's always an underlying emotion.

D

Deleted member 107043

Pretty much any kind of bug larger than a grain of rice, but mostly spiders. I know, it's completely irrational, but I hate them.

Yesterday when I was at Epcot, a bee crawled up my arm. It must've been quite interesting to watch me completely lose my mind over it.

A bug will sneak up on you out of nowhere, which is one of the reasons why they scare me. One minute a spider is across the room crawling on a wall and the next it's crawling on your arm! I'm traveling to Australia in December and I keep reading horror stories about bull ants. *shivers*

Sans Souci

I have things that make my anxiety go up to eleven. I usually hang out at 8. :p

Flying--the compulsive and intrusive thoughts alone keep me occupied during the flight. Is the pilot drunk? Is someone on the plane a terrorist? Did the riveter for Boeing put the rivets in the right place? What was that bump? Are we over land yet? Is this 747 full of people really going to get airborne? That person looks ill; do s/he have Ebola? Is there enough fuel in the tank?

When I take a train to Chicago Union Station, I have to go over this clapped out, rusted bridge. It was built in 1919! I swear, they are holding it together with bungee cord. I sit there and say the Hail Mary until we get across and the train goes so slowly.

It's funny, you mention tornadoes, @Dead. I grew up outside of Chicago, so I've seen lots of funnel clouds. Last night, our weather radio was going off, as well as the local sirens. My husband is from England and he was pushing me to go down into our basement. I refused and decided to wait until it got nasty. Why? Because our basement is like WDW for spiders. I would rather wait until the last second to go into the basement than get a corner with webs and who knows what else for 20 minutes.

Sans Souci

Getting mugged

Identity theft

Getting fired

Getting fat

Getting old

Anthrax

Another hurricane

Debt

Food poisoning

Disease

Alzheimer's

Legionnaire's Disease

Dying and going to hell

Dying (did I say dying?)

North Korea

Russia under Putin

The Taliban

ISIS

;)

Thumbs up for the Golden Girls reference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom