Fears: Discussion and Examination Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have a feat of falling and not necessarily falling from a height but just falling in general. Like slipping and falling while walking over a slippery surface, or tripping and falling over a rug. And since I live in a place that has a lot of ice and snow the slipping and falling thing is pretty scary to me a lot of the year!

I also have a fear of bats I had one in my house once and luckily hubby was there to take care of it as I FREAKED out. I grabbed the dog and tucked into a ball on the couch while hubby dealt with it. I avoided the spot where it landed for at least a month even after we had Lysoled that spot about 10 times. I like the Maharajah jungle trek in AK but I have to run through the bat exhibit every time, it is the only time I run.

catmom46

The older I get, the younger they look. Yikes! Something else to be scared about!

Oh yeah, I'm starting to see the resemblance now...

bea.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl Your story gave me a good chuckle and the heebee jeebees. Where do you live that a freaking BAT was in your house?? #nope

I live in northern Wisconsin. They like to live in pine trees apparently and our neighbor has quite a few in this yard. After the bat was in our house I made my husband call a guy who specializes in removing bats from homes to inspect our house. He didn't find any evidence of them living in our home on the outside of the home. So it made me feel more at ease. I read somewhere that mothballs deter bats so we have little bags of moth balls hanging by the entrances to our house. Oh and the guy who inspected our house, he calls himself & his business Da Batman.

tcool

Heights - This one is very specific if I see that I'm high up I will freak out. However if I don't see the fact I'm not on the ground typically I'm okay. What do I mean for example when I read Soarin' I freak the heck out because I fear that I'm going to fall out of my seat, and plunge to my doom. So naturally I keep a very strong grip onto the bars/sides of the seat. Another example is when I'm at the mall 2nd story or higher, and look down I get really scared, and back away as I wish I wasn't there.

Collapsing - This one ties in to the Heights one. I'm scared that if I'm on a building with more than floor I will be on the top floor, and the whole building collapses as I fall to my doom. I think this counts as Heights too...

The Dark/It - I'm not afraid of the dark. No, I'm afraid of something far worse whatever can be hiding in the dark. I always envision I'm in my bed drifting off to sleep as I hear a noise. I look towards the door I see nothing because it's dark. And then it happens it scares me or worse... I fall um... something to my doom?

Someone's There! - This one is the terrifying! So whenever I hear a creak as I drift off to sleep I can't fall a sleep! Why? Because someone might be in the attic! I don't know who that is could be a criminal or maybe Santa Claus. It doesn't matter I keep my eyes on my closest where the door to the attic is located. When I do fall asleep because I always do. I lock my closest from the outside, and wait for it to open. Of course it never opens for weeks on end until I forget why I locked it in the first place, and it becomes unlocked. I would go up to the attic, and see if someone is there but I live in Florida home to everything in the Swamp. There might be racoons, rats, mice, bats, squirrels, snakes, lizards, cockaroaches, spiders, birds, any species of bug, stray cats, etc.

Now some for what I have no reason to fear -
Dogs, Cats, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Rats, Mice, Moose, Deer, Possums, Kangaroos, Goats, Cows, Chickens, Spiders, Cockaroaches, songbirds, crows, ladybugs, butterflies, and anything that moves basically is what I'm trying to say.

PrincessJenn5795

My biggest fear is spiders. I am fine with other bugs, but I have really bad reactions to spider bites so ever since I was little I have been terrified of even itsy bitsy spiders. Luckily for me, I married an expert spider squasher, and my 12 year old is getting quite good at squashing spiders while rolling his eyes at his crazy screaming mom.

My other really big fear is creepy kids and/or dolls. I cannot handle movies or shows or anything with creepy kids or dolls. That includes the It's a Small World ride.

I am also bit paranoid about being in sunlight. I have dark red hair, and a true red-head complexion that burns if I even so much as glance at the sun, so I always have sunscreen, hats, and even a parasol with me if there is a chance I will be in the sun. Yet another reason for my kids to roll their eyes at me :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I lock my closest from the outside, and wait for it to open. Of course it never opens for weeks on end until I forget why I locked it in the first place, and it becomes unlocked. I would go up to the attic, and see if someone is there but I live in Florida home to everything in the Swamp. There might be racoons, rats, mice, bats, squirrels, snakes, lizards, cockaroaches, spiders, birds, any species of bug, stray cats, etc.

Wait, you have a door to your attic through the closet in your bedroom? I'm jittery just thinking about that.

Kramerica

Lovely little topic.

We're all scared of something(s). As of now I have 2 major fears, including:

Heights: Whenever i get to a certain height, my stomach starts to drop and i freeze. It's why i refuse to get on an airplane whatsoever. My family has always talked about traveling but instead of driving, flying. I'm like nopenopenopenope.jpg and scurry off into the corner biting my nails (the scurry off part doesnt happen, just there for added effect.
Lovely little topic.
. xP

I too share your fear of heights. It's my biggest failing in life. And If I don't constantly work at it, it only gets worse. There's a lot of books you can read out there that can help. I've even gone as far as seeing someone about it. But I'm only able to keep things from getting worse. It's a really tough fear to have. Unlike spiders or snakes, heights has the ability to dictate what you can and can't do in your life. Get invited out for a night on the town? Gotta make sure none of the clubs are in a tall building. You wanna go on vacation? Better make special arrangements to make sure your hotel room isn't higher than the 6th floor. Meet a new girl? Cross your fingers she doesn't live in a tall apartment building... It makes life a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

As for flying though, I've solved that the American way! Pills!! I'm prescribed an anti-anxiety medication (Klonopin) and sedative (Ambien) for when I fly. It actually works out wonderfully. I take it, and the six hour flight to Orlando from Portland is over in the blink of an eye. I highly recommend consulting your doctor about a similar solution if flying really is that big of an issue for you. It's allowed me to continue going to Disney!

Cheers

BuddyThomas

My biggest fear is spiders. I am fine with other bugs, but I have really bad reactions to spider bites so ever since I was little I have been terrified of even itsy bitsy spiders. Luckily for me, I married an expert spider squasher, and my 12 year old is getting quite good at squashing spiders while rolling his eyes at his crazy screaming mom.
Old English proverb - "If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive."

Plus, you know, Charlotte's Web.

Just sayin'.

:)

Goofyernmost

Staircases (going down). I never had that fear until I missed the bottom step of one six years ago and landed on my right knee completely severing the quad muscle in my right leg. I had surgery and had that repaired but in the process I lost some vital nerve endings that automatically signal the muscles in my leg to flex when walking downhill or downstairs. That leaves me with a knee that, if I'm not careful, will just pop out forward when walking downward. Eventually the remaining nerves kick in and stop it from going any further, but, I can't help but feel that it might be too late by the time it does that.

I still use stairs, on purpose, to attempt to perfect the process of controlling that muscle deliberately. I've made some real progress in that area but I still dread having to deal with it.

I don't like flying, but, for some unknown reason never even think about it when I'm on the plane. Just before.

My biggest fear is having a stroke or something that leaves me completely dependent on others for my every need. I can't even stand to think about it. I don't see why that would be necessary. If I cannot live anymore, just let me die. Quality of life is far more important then quantity. I also wouldn't want to put my daughters through that kind of thing, it just seems cruel.

I also fear that the next time I play golf I will get that hole in one that I have been dreaming about all my life. The reason is because I made the statement once that if I ever made one, I was going to immediately sell my clubs and never play again. The people I play golf with have assured me that I have nothing to worry about since I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a paint brush from two feet away. I agree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom