Favorite & least favorite resorts...

ChrisQ

I can't say that I have a least favorite, although I don't remember much about my stay at All-Star Sports in 2000, for some reason...

My favorite is Wilderness Lodge. I love the theming and the pool; I just especially enjoyed my time at that resort.

I also really, really like Pop. I stayed there for the first time last year.

Upvote 0

The Empress Lilly

Least favourite:

All Stars Movies / Music / Sports.

I have never stayed in any of them. They seem fine, good value for budget and all that. But, I just find them terribly ugly. Worse, very unimaginative. What your local mall would build if they can't afford a creative agency. :shrug:
Oversized ornaments is a quick gimmick. It's fun, for two minutes. Then you realise that it's a poor excuse for lack of placemaking, theme, imagination.

Favourite:

Polynesian.

For reasons that are the exact opposite of the above. Theme and placemaking!

Upvote 0

IMPoppins

Least favorite is All Star Movies. Our room was all the way in the back of the resort and I thought the bathroom was dirty.
My favorite resort is a tie between AKL and Poly. I also really lke Pop Century:wave:

Upvote 0

coltow

Just remember when asking this that everyone has their opinions. I will probably be the only one here whose least favorite is Yacht Club. We were in the room furthest from everything, so far that I might have well been at Swan/Dolphin. We were not fans of the pool. I understand that they are trying to accomplish the beach thing, but the last thing I want to do when getting out of a pool is worry about how much sand is on me and my clothes. We also didn't like Beaches & Cream. It was always very crowded. When ever we wanted a drink or something to eat, first we had the long walk, then the line was boarderline rediculous. And don't even get me started on the transporation

On the flip side, we LOVE the Wilderness Lodge. We have always felt like this is a fantastic resort. It's on the low end of the deluxe price range. The pool there is great for adults and kids. The restaurants are top notch. The rooms are lovely. The grounds are serene. And lastly the lobby is absolutely a sight to be seen. We love the fact that this is absolutely a family resort, with enough nooks and crannies that appeal to adults too.

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Favorite AKL I can't recommend this resort enough.

Least Favorite: SSR - Horrible service, Lousy bus service and poor food choices.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Least favourite:

All Stars Movies / Music / Sports.

I have never stayed in any of them. They seem fine, good value for budget and all that. But, I just find them terribly ugly. Worse, very unimaginative. What your local mall would build if they can't afford a creative agency. :shrug:
Oversized ornaments is a quick gimmick. It's fun, for two minutes. Then you realise that it's a poor excuse for lack of placemaking, theme, imagination.

Favourite:

Polynesian.

For reasons that are the exact opposite of the above. Theme and placemaking!

Not to say I don't agree with your post from a personal standpoint, but just remember, adults aren't the only ones who go to WDW. While I'm not exactly wild about the theming at any of the value resorts, I think if you showed a panel of 5 year olds the Poly and one of the All Stars, the almost unanimous favorite would be the All Star.

As to my opinion--my least are the All Stars, and favorite is the Poly. The Poly is also attractive to me for it's history within The Vacation Kingdom of the World and since it's on the monorail loop. I also love the signs!

Honorable mention to Saratoga Springs. The one bedroom villas there are something else, the resort is beautiful, and its proximity to DtD.

Upvote 0

Cliffordsmon

Just remember when asking this that everyone has their opinions. I will probably be the only one here whose least favorite is Yacht Club. We were in the room furthest from everything, so far that I might have well been at Swan/Dolphin. We were not fans of the pool. I understand that they are trying to accomplish the beach thing, but the last thing I want to do when getting out of a pool is worry about how much sand is on me and my clothes. We also didn't like Beaches & Cream. It was always very crowded. When ever we wanted a drink or something to eat, first we had the long walk, then the line was boarderline rediculous. And don't even get me started on the transporation

The Yacht Club is still my favorite resort but I understand your view of staying in the "back 40". I joked with my kids that Disney lost money that trip because we were so far from the Gift Shop that it was just inconvenient to walk though the lobby. In fact I felt like we were closer to the Boardwalk. We have learned to go to Beaches and Cream at non-peak times and since the kids are grown the pool is no longer an issue although I love the pool. We never got sand in our suits but i didn't go in the Kiddie pool.

I love the restful feeling of the Yacht Club, like stepping back to a simpler time. I is a short walk to DS, The Boardwalk or EPCOT or a short boat ride if you are tired. As they say in real estate, location, location, location!

I find that all the hotels have their own charm and appeal and frequently Hotel Hop when we go to experience the different atmospheres offered.

My least favorite Hotel is Coronado Springs simply because it seems everything is inconvenient and too spread out. The beds were uncomfortable and you paid a premium price for a room almost exactly like the Pop Century.

Upvote 0

The Empress Lilly

I think if you showed a panel of 5 year olds the Poly and one of the All Stars, the almost unanimous favorite would be the All Star.
I had never thought about it this way. It makes sense. Do any of the parents here have some eyewitness accounts of the popularity of the All Star resorts with (smaller) children?

Incidentally, last time I went budget, I stayed off-site. I am just not that hot about the Disney value resorts. For $40/$50 a night less, I'll choose a clean motel a few miles down the road. I should add 'dirt cheap off-property' to my list of favourite resorts.
Let's say that staying on-site is magic, but that $50 has it's own unique way of working magic for me as well. :lol:

Upvote 0

reptar77

Favorite: Boardwalk or Beach Club close Close prox to Epcot and MGM, great food, great pool, resort theming and staff is great.

Least: Wilderness Lodge: Isolated away, food is just blah, staff and theming is also just ok.

Upvote 0

Chance

Favorite - Poly; Why - theme, atmosphere, big rooms, awesome service, monorail access, awesome pool and view of the castle.

Least - Coronado; Why - too corporate! Rooms are very noisy! Service awful. Food court gratuity a rip off, lack of staffing in food court horrible. Should I continue?

Upvote 0

kjd469

Most favourite...AKL, Love it, love it, love it!!!

Least favourite...Beach Club - boriing!! ( I know, everyone else loves this resort, but it just didn't do it for us)

Upvote 0

Chance

On the flip side, we LOVE the Wilderness Lodge. We have always felt like this is a fantastic resort. It's on the low end of the deluxe price range. The pool there is great for adults and kids. The restaurants are top notch. The rooms are lovely. The grounds are serene. And lastly the lobby is absolutely a sight to be seen. We love the fact that this is absolutely a family resort, with enough nooks and crannies that appeal to adults too.

I agree with you! Y&B same issues for us. Poly is my favorite, but Wilderness Lodge only comes in 2nd b/c it is not on the monorail!

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

1. Grand Floridian - I love the rooms, restaurants, concierge, service, and monorail/boat transportation. Our trips here have always been wonderful.
2. Polynesian
3. Contemporary
4. Beach Club
5. Boardwalk Inn
6. Yacht Club
7. Wilderness Lodge
8. Animal Kingdom Lodge
- My family is from South Africa, and we've been lucky enough to stay at actual game lodges there. In comparison, we have no desire to stay at AKL. The lobby feels like an art museum (impressive, but not authentic in respect to a game lodge). Also, the hotel doesn't have the intimate feeling that makes game lodges feel special because AKL is so large. Transportation here is very difficult. Overall, I understand why people like this hotel, but I would never stay here.

Upvote 0

JohnGry

Favorite: PC, POR, POFQ & WL (resorts we have stayed at)
We always have had a positive experience and a great time! I would have no problem staying at any of those resorts again.

Least Favorite: none so far...

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Favorite: Port Orleans Riverside- Grounds are gorgeous, rooms are cute and cozy, love the boat transport to DTD, close to all the parks, foodcourt is great, the entire resort is very well-kept, felt like a mini-deluxe without having to dish out so much money to stay at an actual deluxe resort!

Least: All Stars- Stayed at all of them, and I really liked them as a kid, but I have grown out of the all stars since then. Always crowded, loud, all 3 share busses the majority of the time and Im not a fan of that. I would rather stay at Pop Century or one of the mods.

Upvote 0

Jarienn

My favorite of those I've stayed in would have to be the Wilderness Lodge. I love the theming and the lobby is just a wonderful place to hang out. It's also a fairly compact resort which is really nice when traveling with our 2 yr old. It's nice not to have to walk a mile to get to the pool. A close 2nd would have to go to Caribbean Beach. It's a monster of a resort, but since I live in the desert, I love the relaxed tropical feel and my little one loves the pool and beach. We've always had a car when we've stayed here, so maybe that's helped with the convenience factor of getting around the resort.

My least favorite, believe it or not, has been the Grand Floridian. We stayed there a few years ago and I felt so out of place. I also didn't like having to pay for valet parking or cross a busy road if we parked in the self parking(which feels like a longer walk than at any of the value resorts). The resort is beautiful, but I found it to be too stuffy. We didn't really like the restaurants there either and found ourselves visiting the Poly or the Contemporary more often. I'd go to the Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk or Poly if I want to pamper myself before I'd ever go back to the GF.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Favorite: Polynesian. I love the view of the fireworks, the beach, the theming, the restaurants, the monorail location....

Least: I have never stayed anywhere else, but I have visited almost all the resorts. I'd hate to name a least favorite since I've never actually had the full experience at any others.

Upvote 0

Tinkie

Least favorite is Contemporary. Too STERILE! Great things going for it yes but I feel like I am in a hospital or a buisness trip with all the convention areas.
Favorite is Wilderness lodge for our Christmas trips and Beach Club for our summer trips. The lodge has such a beautiful lobby and it is so nice to relax on the beach/lake in the mornings. Beach Club in the summer for the pool and nightlife. Their rooms seem very spacious to me as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom