Fastpass Plus Mess

Yobogoya

Original Poster
I've been reading these forums for a while and after returning from my 15th trip to Disney last week, I thought I'd finally share my thoughts on the disaster that is fastpass plus:

1) I stay offsite-it's more cost effective and convenient for my family. However, on this trip, it made me feel like a second class citizen with the new system of fastpass plus

2) The lines to do fastpass plus signups were VERY long. I was there at rope drop during a low-crowd week and still had to wait on line in all parks for 15-30 minutes on some occasions just to get my fastpass plus. And not being able to change a time on my phone just because I'm staying offsite was absurd. I would have to wait on line for 15-30 minutes all over again

3) There are not enough faspass plus kiosks at many locations-and to try and compensate they had people with ipads there trying to do selections as well. The ipads frequently malfunctioned causing much frustration.

4) I hated how the whole fastpass plus made the disney experience feel-as someone who was coordinating what we were going to do each day, this felt like work for the first time. And there was also a lot of stress and running to make our hour windows for rides or else risk losing them. All sense of reason was gone. At major rides like space mountain if you showed up 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late and that stupid scanner didn't turn green you were denied entry. It's an amusement park, not the DMV. The sense of fun and spontaneity is being drained for an adult with kids going to Disney. If your kids have to pee, that's too bad. Make your window or lose it. Zero understanding that a large percentage of their customers are parties with young children, and there is nothing more unpredictable (except maybe the weather) than the behavior of a young child.

5) At MAgic Kingdom, I was one of the first on line to sign up for fastpass plus. Except the ipad kept malfunctioning. After 30 MINUTES, they finally got me signed in. By then ALL times for Enchanted Tales were gone. I complained-the person I was working with said: "what's the big deal-the wait is only 30 minutes?" (clearly someone that's never had to stand on line with a 1 year old and a 4 year old)-after getting it bumped to A 4th LEVEL SUPERVISOR and 20 more minutes, they finally said: "you're right, we'll get you in to Enchanted Tales"

6) The 3 ride limit at magic kingdom is absurd-with so many rides affected by lines, why are you forcing people to make choices? Again it takes the fun away for the person planning. They are literally asking you to plan your entire day before you even get there. And once you're there, you feel pressured to plan it right, or else stand on line for a ride you misjudged.

7) I hated separating from my family during my fastpass plus wait-I missed my kids' faces on entering the park becasue I have to run ahead to make sure we get the fastpassses and don't stand on line for the rides they want to go on. To be fair, I used to run ahead to fastpass one ride in the past as well (i.e. toy story in DHS-however, I could be there and back before my family even made it to the wizard's hat-now I ahve to wait on line and do this whole process of choosing the whole day-I lost the first 30 minutes with my family every disney day)

8) I agree with others who have posted that Disney will increase the number of fastpasses by offering them for a fee soon. Congratulations: you'll make more money. But you're also upsetting longtime customers and fans like myself who are not as excited to go back in the future as I used to be. This trip was work and while I enjoyed it, it was because I like spending time with my family. My enjoyment was in spite of Disney, not because.

9) We did Sea World and universal as well this trip and the contrast I felt on thise days compared to my Disney days highlighted everything above for me. Those days were Waaaaaay more relaxing.

10) I'm on the Winnie the Pooh regular standby line. There is NOBODY waiting in the fastpass line. Zero people. However, the lady running the line held us for nearly 15 minutes at that branch point. With my 1 year old screaming I asked her why she couldn't move us forward. Her answer: "just in case someone comes with a fastpass." Now as someone holding a fastpass I of course would want to get in fast. But there was NOBODY there, and she held the standby line for almost 15 minutes. She said this was part of the new policies. The standby line would be hled for stretches to minimize the waits for people with fastpasses.

Those are my thoughts. I'm not naive. I know this is about money. I get it. But I'm unhappy and thought I'd share it. Perhaps if they hear enough unhappiness, it will make a difference. Who knows? But I felt it neccesary to post. I don't know who has had good experiences with this system, but this was mine and I wanted to share it.

durangojim

"10) I'm on the Winnie the Pooh regular standby line. There is NOBODY waiting in the fastpass line. Zero people. However, the lady running the line held us for nearly 15 minutes at that branch point. With my 1 year old screaming I asked her why she couldn't move us forward. Her answer: "just in case someone comes with a fastpass." Now as someone holding a fastpass I of course would want to get in fast. But there was NOBODY there, and she held the standby line for almost 15 minutes. She said this was part of the new policies. The standby line would be hled for stretches to minimize the waits for people with fastpasses."

Not calling you a liar, but I don't believe this. Could it have seemed like 15 minutes but really been just a couple? I know time kind of warps when you have an unhappy child.

Write a letter and then vote with your pocketbook. If there's enough people that have a bad experience like you, they'll take notice. Although I'm betting it won't happen until it hits Disneyland with the amount of locals that attend that park.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Unfortunately, my friend it is very true-between 10 and 15 minutes is accurate. And many of us were complaining. And I have friends who had similar experiences on Buzz Lightyear and Little Mermaid that same day.

I have written a letter to Disney-we'll see what good it does

Finally you are correct-it is all about money. do I think I won't go back? Of course not-that wouldn't be fair to my kids. But I have been going frequently since I had my kids. Let me say this: I don't think I will be going back as quickly this time around.

stevehousse

Just like u said, it's all about money! The new system is all about getting more guests to stay on site! U want the perks on MM+, u need to stay on site! With that said, stay at a value, they are the same price as most hotels that are offsite!

Holding the line just because someone with Fastpass might be entering at any time is ridiculous. I understand wanted to keep the line short after the merge point but if no one with Fastpass is there, they should at least let some standby groups past the merge point every few minutes.

I wonder what would happen if I entered a standby line on a low crowd day late at night during the parade or Wishes. If the standby and fastpass lines were completely empty, would they make me wait at the merge point? I'm starting to think they might. On my last trip, I actually entered a few rides during that time with no one in line at all and it was nice to literally just walk on to the rides. It sounds like that might not be possible anymore.

durangojim

Unfortunately, my friend it is very true-between 10 and 15 minutes is accurate. And many of us were complaining. And I have friends who had similar experiences on Buzz Lightyear and Little Mermaid that same day.

I have written a letter to Disney-we'll see what good it does

Finally you are correct-it is all about money. do I think I won't go back? Of course not-that wouldn't be fair to my kids. But I have been going frequently since I had my kids. Let me say this: I don't think I will be going back as quickly this time around.

Wow, that means then for ~10 minutes no one was riding Winne the Pooh. That's crazy! Seems like management needs to re-evaluate ASAP.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
No...people were riding-there was just almost no line after the merge point. Once they let us go they let a lot of standby go-like 50 people. Anyway, this was probably the least of my issues and I don't want this thread to get hung up on it. My point is how fastpass plus has crosssed that imaginary line bewtween family fun and making money. You know how they're selling "the magic"? Well, take home message of my post is : "magic is gone". I agree with the person posted it's all about the money. And to be frank, even if you stay on property, this new system has made going to Disney a chore.

Rob562

As durangojim was implying, unless the ride went down during the time you were standing there, I find it quite odd if you were really standing there for 10-15 minutes with no FP people coming through during that time. The queue post-merge is relatively short, a line that would get cleared in under 5 minutes. If you were really there for 15 minutes and zero people (Standby or FP) went beyond the merge point, then the ride was running totally empty for 10 minutes.

-Rob

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Well then I guess the ride was slowed. Again, not the point. The point of that part of the post was the interaction with the ride attendant. She stood there allowing the post-merge line to basically hit zero (and it did hit zero though I can't tell you for how long or why since I was distracted by my screaming child) and would not allow us to move forward for an extended period of time. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? It doesn't matter-all sense of reason was gone. The fastpass line was empty and her answer was she needed to wait a certain amount of time for people with a fastpass to go through

Yobogoya

Original Poster
One other thing: I have spoken to Disney guest services since I posted. They were honest that negative feedback on fastpass plus has been increasing over the last 2 weeks, both with people onsite and offsite. Will it lead to changes? I doubt it. But, hey I feel like I got things off my chest, so there's that at least.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just like u said, it's all about money! The new system is all about getting more guests to stay on site! U want the perks on MM+, u need to stay on site! With that said, stay at a value, they are the same price as most hotels that are offsite!

Really, A value costs nearly as much as a suite at the HILTON! and Hilton gives you a real breakfast for the price!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well then I guess the ride was slowed. Again, not the point. The point of that part of the post was the interaction with the ride attendant. She stood there allowing the post-merge line to basically hit zero (and it did hit zero though I can't tell you for how long or why since I was distracted by my screaming child) and would not allow us to move forward for an extended period of time. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? It doesn't matter-all sense of reason was gone. The fastpass line was empty and her answer was she needed to wait a certain amount of time for people with a fastpass to go through

yes the almighty Merge-Ratio which we are told does not exist, It does not exist the same way traffic ticket quotas dont exist for highway patrolmen.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Just stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment /suite for 160 a night 5 minutes from downtown disney. My 1 year old had his own room. My 4 year and 7 year old shared a room My wife an I had our own room. And we had a large living room dining room and kitchen area. We made one shopping trip to walmart, spent 200 dollars and had enough food for the whole family for the whole week. And the two other families with us did the same thing. Why would we give that up for less space, more stress and higher costs. Thanks but no thanks. I've been doing it like this for years and simply love it.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Your point that this is being tested is well taken. However,

a) I didn't pay as much money as I did to be tested on
b) the general direction in which these experiments are moving is: more monitoring, more restrictions, more structure, more stress, less fun

Just my take on things and now that I've gone through it I can speak from personal experience.

orky8

No...people were riding-there was just almost no line after the merge point. Once they let us go they let a lot of standby go-like 50 people. Anyway, this was probably the least of my issues and I don't want this thread to get hung up on it. My point is how fastpass plus has crosssed that imaginary line bewtween family fun and making money. You know how they're selling "the magic"? Well, take home message of my post is : "magic is gone". I agree with the person posted it's all about the money. And to be frank, even if you stay on property, this new system has made going to Disney a chore.

So, then this made no difference in your life. Instead of waiting 15 minutes after the merge point in a long line, you waited 15 minutes before the merge point, while the line after the merge point cycled down.

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Incorrect-because as I mentioned earlier there did reach a point where there were zero people after the merge and the ride was running. And while you are correct that they may have wanted the ride to run empty for some reason unknown to me, that is not consistent with her answer that she has to hold the line for people who could be coming with fastpasses

Yobogoya

Original Poster
Side point: as a new official member to these forums, I find it fascinating that the one point people are getting hung up on is this Winnie the Pooh ride issue. I made it last on my comments for a reason. My main point was about how miserable an experience I had with fastpass plus and how I think it bodes poorly for the future, and I regret including the Winnie the Pooh part since it seems to be distracting from that point

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom