FastPass+ open to all guests including offsite beginning next week at Disney's Animal Kingdom

awilliams4

As long as they don't raise prices over that same period...

Revenue increases through price hikes are not a reflection of FP+
No matter how the revenue is generated, if profits continue to go up, Disney's plan is working from the only point of view that matters. If profits go down due to the recent changes, then those that have been pretty emotional about this subject are on to something. I predict, Jay Rasulo is correct. Next Gen's angle to get people to plan/commit will generate more dollars for Disney. And if he does end up being right, then negative opinions and threats of not going to WDW really don't matter.

weedles

Except that "plan ahead" will increasingly mean not at rope drop, but 60 days out, and only for those allowed access.

The silver lining, possibly, is that the new system will be such a pain in the #%^ that a key percentage of guests will reject it in favor of just winging it for the day. Reduce the number of people using FP+ and the standby lines become more bearable.

And that my friends is the best we can hope for from our WDW vacations in the next decade.

See you at Legoland because that's the park my 5 and 8 year old boys are requesting we return to. We say "What about the Magic Kingdom?" They say "no thanks."

The system of booking 60 days out has been in operation for quite some time for all onsite guests. There has remained availability for FP+ for day of for all attractions. The issue of running out has only come in to play with TT, Soarin and TSMM by mid to late morning on busy days. This is no different whatsoever then how legacy FP ran out for these attractions. Thus no difference in planning strategy.

danv3

No matter how the revenue is generated, if profits continue to go up, Disney's plan is working from the only point of view that matters. If profits go down due to the recent changes, then those that have been pretty emotional about this subject are on to something. I predict, Jay Rasulo is correct. Next Gen's angle to get people to plan/commit will generate more dollars for Disney. And if he does end up being right, then negative opinions and threats of not going to WDW really don't matter.

There's no doubt that Disney is going to claim that MM+ increased revenue and profits. What will be interesting is trying to find out what portion of the increase (if any) is actually attributable to MM+. I think we all know that attendance and prices are going to go up (attendance probably modestly so, prices likely exorbitantly so), thus revenues will naturally rise. The real question is whether people truly extend stays/buy more merch/etc. because of MM+. Personally, I can't see why that would be the case.

ToTBellHop

How long before this happens at the other parks?
Presumably not very long, though I'm sure a date is not set (there is certainly an internal date that we are not aware of, but that is very flexible).

Personally, I am all for this. WDW has 24,000 rooms with capacity for about 100,000 guests in its rooms. Within its 4 parks, it probably sees 120,000 guests on an average day (with obvious variability). There are certainly enough rooms available for all who wish to have this new benefit except for probably a dozen days each year (when it is a mad house and has been a mad house since 1971). Kinda sucks for the Swan and Dolphin, though.

Glad we always stay on site.

Buried20KLeague

So essentially all this is doing is replacing legacy FP with electronic FP+.
Everyone, whether on or offsite, will be limited to 3 per day making the playing field level for all. Onsite (and assumably AP) will have the added benefit of scheduling ahead of time - as I think it should be. Nobody seems to cry unfairness to EMH only being accessible to onsite so why for this? I honestly dont see how moving to this next phase (not whether obviously yes more attractions are needed thats a separate argument) is anything but positive.

(flame suit on :cautious:)

... Sigh...

If you stayed off site in the past, EMH didn't REMOVE a benefit to you. It was extra hours after park close. You still had your normal day in the park.

Now, with off site not able to book ahead, Disney is CLEARLY impacting your day and ability to tour. They're effecting your experience. They're taking away. You suggest it's "leveling the playing field"?? It's exactly the opposite! It's tilting the playing field almost literally as much as they possibly can!

I said this was coming the first day MM was announced, and DOZENS of people said this wasn't where it was going. And now, here we are.

Hey, TDO... You have seen my money spent at your property go from at least $10,000 a year to $0. And I'm not alone. Sure, you'll fill my seat with some other unsuspecting rube for now. But stay on this path and those rubes will get harder to find. The rust is forming on your undercarriage and you're not going to realize it until fixing it will require a complete rebuild. We're not all sheep. We'll take our money elsewhere. Many of us have.

In march, I'll be spending two weeks in tokyo with a week at TDL at the best Disney parks in the world. And I'll delight in the fact that TWDC will profit minimally from my visit.

Keep running WDW into the ground and see what happens. I dare you.

disney4life2008

Wow! I honestly did not anticipate waking up to see this message. many of us have said legacy would still be around at least through march but suddenly Disney seems to be moving at fast speed as of last few weeks. I am speechless as my January trip is planned around fpplus and legacy, lol. I guess the naysayers were correct.

Buried20KLeague

Most know that you have to plan ahead for the major etickets (Soarin TSMM etc) and will get to the parks early to do such. Those that dont will not be able to without riding standby. I dont see how it is any different with it being a paper FP or FP+.

Because the number of "day of" FP's is going to be a fraction of what it was. Being there "early" won't be enough.

I have no idea how you don't recognize this as different.

And even if you think the on site vs. off is fine, you should STILL be ticked off because now you're limited to 3 FP's per day, even if you pay their ransom for a room at POR. And you're forced to choose from groups of attractions that will limit your three choices further. So with this system, even those on site as getting less in multiple ways!! How ANYONE could be okay with this system baffles me. Utterly baffles me.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The system of booking 60 days out has been in operation for quite some time for all onsite guests. There has remained availability for FP+ for day of for all attractions. The issue of running out has only come in to play with TT, Soarin and TSMM by mid to late morning on busy days. This is no different whatsoever then how legacy FP ran out for these attractions. Thus no difference in planning strategy.

Unless you formerly used FPs for more than one or two headliners per day or for the same attraction more than once per day or at different parks in the same day... if you did some or all of those things, then you do have to change your planning strategy and touring schedule significantly to incorporate FP+... or else change your goals altogether.

Last edited:

G8rchamps

Forum member for about 6 months and AP since August. Fl resident and been to the parks as a child, teen, young adult, and now parent. I am a ride commando- why else would you go to the parks?

FP+, being a parent, and going more often has changed my Disney Experience (pun intended). I actually like planning the days. The kids are up early anyway so we tend to rope drop or really close. Stand by is good until 11-12 depending on the day/park and then its really nice to have the remaining E tickets already set for the afternoon. It has worked really well for us so far.

I am very curious how it will work with no paper FP and do agree that the kiosk lines will be terrible for now. I would hope that as they finish roll out every one will have mobile access on or off-site. As for those who don't/can't get the technology- more rides for me.

I have been reluctant to join the Disney needs more rides bandwagon, but I'll say it. Stop spending on DVC and MM+ and add a E ticket to AK, EP, and HS NOW! Then you won't have to tier your rides...

Buried20KLeague

Apparently you aren't familiar with the housing bubble... The tech bubble... Etc...

The ends don't always justify the means. Fortune 500 companies have committed suicide similarly in the past. Thinking they're too large or successful to fail (or be acquired, etc) is folly.

ParentsOf4

We were at WDW during Thanksgiving week. Although one of the busier weeks, there are several weeks that are busier.

We found it nearly impossible to change our FP+ selections on short notice. Examples:
  1. On Tuesday evening, I tried changing a Wednesday 10 AM FP+ selection for Peter Pan. The only alternative times available were 11 PM or midnight.
  2. On Thursday morning (10 AM), I tried changing a Thursday 2 PM FP+ selection for RnRC. No alternative times were available.
  3. On Friday morning (7 AM), I tried changing a 9 AM FP+ selection for Test Track. The only alternative time available was 7:25 PM.
FP+ might be OK during less busy weeks but then, so what? What matters is how well the system functions when strained.

There's a reason Disney went back to tiered FP+ selections.

WDW has insufficient ride capacity.

The issue is not whether FP+ is no worse than FP. The issue is why did Disney spend $2B on a system that does little to improve the overall guest experience.

Last edited:

WDWYankee15

Because the number of "day of" FP's is going to be a fraction of what it was. Being there "early" won't be enough.

I have no idea how you don't recognize this as different.

And even if you think the on site vs. off is fine, you should STILL be ticked off because now you're limited to 3 FP's per day, even if you pay their ransom for a room at POR. And you're forced to choose from groups of attractions that will limit your three choices further. So with this system, even those on site as getting less in multiple ways!! How ANYONE could be okay with this system baffles me. Utterly baffles me.
You are correct, but in this light being limited to 3 actually makes more FastPasses available. In the past I could way more than 3 FastPasses in a given day for the top tier attractions. Now I can't which therefore, allows more FastPasses to remain in the pool, if you will. Also, while not confirmed, and as stated by another poster earlier; I would not be surprised if only a percentage of the FastPasses for a given date and timeslots are prereleased. I would imagine some will be held in reserve so it is first come first serve at the kiosk that day. In theory, onsite guests have preplanned, so they already have attractions picked so day offs will generally go to offsite guests. In theory being the operative word. Because you can always move them around day of (with the advantage of the app), but then that opens other FastPasses that were previously booked.

Not loving this whole plan, but as someone who generally stays on property I think it will effect me less than others. I will say I will be reading these boards over the next few months to get feedback on actual experiences and will be curious as to what tweeks they will make over that time as well in anticipation of our late August 2014 trip. I'm not sure they really even know exactly how this is going to play out yet.

Here's hoping it is not as bad as it could be.

ParentsOf4

Strangely, the only thing that will keep me returning to WDW now is Universal. I'd be heading to Disneyland otherwise. We spend a week a both parks, but now I can see us doing maybe 3 days (max)at WDW.
In 2014, the big Orlando theme park event will be Diagon Alley.

In 2014, Universal's Diagon Alley will increase WDW's revenue more than MyMagic+. :)

WDWYankee15

Unless you formerly used FPs for more than one or two headliners per day or for the same attraction more than once per day or at different parks in the same day... if you did some or all of those things, then you do have to change your planning strategy and touring schedule significantly to incorporate FP+... or else change your goals altogether.
I know one result is we did not get the Park Hopper option for our trip in 2014. With the continual increase in price for that "service" and the FastPass changes, we no longer see the value of getting it, even on a lengthy stay ticket. Part of me thinks that they are actually trying to price out Park Hopping as part of the plan with My Magic+ is to better anticipate where people will be ahead of time (the reason for the 60 booking window) so that they can allocate staff "appropriately" and therefore continue to reduce operating costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom