Express Transportation starting Dec 7th

Bandini

I'm starting to see reports from people who are there now and experiencing longer waits for buses than they did on previous visits during the same season. CM's are saying that some of the regular buses are being used for a "test" Sounds to me like Disney just pulled buses and drivers from their normal routes in order to staff the Express routes. Isn't that special?:rolleyes:

Kman101

I'm starting to see reports from people who are there now and experiencing longer waits for buses than they did on previous visits during the same season. CM's are saying that some of the regular buses are being used for a "test" Sounds to me like Disney just pulled buses and drivers from their normal routes in order to staff the Express routes. Isn't that special?:rolleyes:

Shocker ... not. Isn't that what we expected? But I'm sure we'll hear that's just not true and we're negative nellies ....

Kman101

Yup. I think we need to form a club. But can you imagine being a WDW this week and relying on reduced bus transportation? That would suck big time!

The busses are already run poorly as it is (IMO). And before anyone says I should be grateful they provide a free service, I am, but it's pretty clear they have a problem and transportation as a whole needs to be looked at and overhauled. They need to stop sharing busses between resorts and parks and water parks.

Remember how I was lectured on bringing up the fact that I've seen quite a few busses just sitting at the Magic Kingdom bus stops? Obviously I don't know the condition of them, but still ... USE THEM if they are usable! Hire more bus drivers!

Goofyernmost

Grin :). I'm 65. I run a snowblower, and hand shovel the gutters 20 feet ahead of our house, in MI :).
ehhhhhh - NOT going to be needing the "Express" package just yet :).

But I can understand how others my age (or younger) might need it. My wife and I just got very lucky, with perfect health :).
Don't want to be Debbie Downer here but so did I until I turned 67. Life does have a way to sneaking up on us. But, I hope your good fortune continues and you would not be the first person that had that luck. :)

Goofyernmost

I can't take credit for it, because it just evolved, I didn't plan it or know ahead of time, however, it makes me happy that I always use my car at WDW. Saves a lot of time and frustration. I don't care if they use different buses, fewer, more buses, ones running on flat tires, or on fire. I don't use them anymore, I rely on the only one that I can depend on 100% and that is me. If that sounds smug... that was the intent. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yeah but you can't trust those kinds of conclusions. Besides.... they've always have had demand based flex in their bus rounds. If waits are longer, it's not due to the express buses... it's due to staffing/capacity choices or conjestion.

No one person's individual obersations make a systematic measurement

Kman101

Agreed that conclusions are being drawn and shouldn't be based on "reports" but then cast members shouldn't be telling guests that busses are basically being taken off-line for a "test". What other conclusion could be drawn? Of course we all know castmembers are some of the last to know what's really going on and are doing their own speculating ....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney has more buses than are in use - that's how every motor pool works and Disney uses buses all over for lots of things besides the dedicated routes. It should never be a question of how many buses there are... it's about how many drivers are in use at any one time... and what routes they are on.

I think what we have is simply the further reduction in the less crowded days.

Goofyernmost

The busses are already run poorly as it is (IMO). And before anyone says I should be grateful they provide a free service, I am, but it's pretty clear they have a problem and transportation as a whole needs to be looked at and overhauled. They need to stop sharing busses between resorts and parks and water parks.

Remember how I was lectured on bringing up the fact that I've seen quite a few busses just sitting at the Magic Kingdom bus stops? Obviously I don't know the condition of them, but still ... USE THEM if they are usable! Hire more bus drivers!
I wasn't attempting to "lecture" you, just inform you of how those things work. You're asking them to throw away a lot of money just so a few will be convenienced. It isn't going to happen nor can it. Do you think that people with CDL licenses with passenger endorsements just grow on trees? It's amazing that they have been able to get as many as they have now. The last I heard they pay less then a standard city bus driver receives so in order to get all the ones that you want, they have to practically double the wages and on top of the you want them to have paid drivers that either just sit around waiting for something to happen or burn up fuel for nothing. There are some trade-off's in life and that is a big one. Create a humongous environmental footprint so a few can get to a place a few minutes sooner or handle it like every other public transportation system with scheduled runs and stops. The place would be bumper to bumper buses and you would be lucky if you could even breath the air. The same reason why airlines have hubs where you have to change planes to get where you are going and not have a plane that goes from every airport in the world to every other airport in the world as a direct flight.

21stamps

It's from a park guest who was talking to a CM. But I guess a report from a person that's there doesn't qualify as a reliable source,:cool:
I don't think it makes it fact, no. Doesn't mean it isn't true..just that maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't think it would make sense for Disney to do that, especially this time of year..so it doesn't sound probable.

Bandini

Yeah but you can't trust those kinds of conclusions. Besides.... they've always have had demand based flex in their bus rounds. If waits are longer, it's not due to the express buses... it's due to staffing/capacity choices or conjestion.

No one person's individual obersations make a systematic measurement
How do you know this
(bolded)? The CM told the guest that there were fewer buses because of a "test." .

Bandini

I don't think it makes it fact, no. Doesn't mean it isn't true..just that maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't think it would make sense for Disney to do that, especially this time of year..so it doesn't sound probable.
Of course it doesn't to you. You never think Disney could do anything wrong. As evidenced by your endless posts asking for proof of any critical finding and your efforts to neutralize any negativity.

wogwog

@Goofyernmost

Currently on disneyjobs.com

Bus Driver- Part Time, Walt Disney World
Apply Now Job ID 414030BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Job Posting Company Disney Parks & Resorts Job Posting Area Walt Disney World Resort Date posted 11/22/2016

Whisking Guests off to their next magical destination is just one of the many benefits of being a Bus Driver at the Walt Disney World® Resort. As a Bus Driver, you transport our Guests daily from reality to fantasy both safely and efficiently.

Bus Drivers receive a starting rate of $12.65/hour.

A lot less than any fairly large city bus driver.

jt04

@Goofyernmost

Apply Now Job ID 414030BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Job Posting Company Disney Parks & Resorts Job Posting Area Walt Disney World Resort Date posted 11/22/2016

Whisking Guests off to their next magical destination is just one of the many benefits of being a Bus Driver at the Walt Disney World® Resort. As a Bus Driver, you transport our Guests daily from reality to fantasy both safely and efficiently.

This is meant for supplemental income for retirees or those that just need part time work. That is why it does not pay as much as full time driver.

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost

I know, I started at a city bus company, no experience, just the license. $18.00 per hour then to $22.00 per hour after the first year and that was 15+ years ago. When I stopped actually driving and went into management 3 years later, I was at $28.00 an hour. And the incredible amount of crap that they have to put up with for that measly tiny amount of money at Disney. It's almost magic that they can get anyone. So mostly they get retired people that want to work for Disney, because they just want too. They are willing to work for that amount, but, frankly, there aren't really that many that are willing to take on that much responsibility for that amount. In my opinion they have a much more difficult job then anyone else at that level in the place. Buses loaded with people wanting to have a fun day, the expectations by so many of them that not only should you be controlling a 36,000# vehicle safely around a large bunch of rubber necking tourist and also being expected to entertain them for the damn "Disney experience".

Until I got a closer look at the requirements, I wanted to do that retirement job more then you can imagine. In fact, I actually tested for and got my CDL basically for that purpose. To have an occupation that could transition to a part time retirement job, at freaking Walt Disney World. Then I saw the pay, the scheduling needs, the lack of flexibility, the strange hours, the fact that the holidays would be some of the busiest so when everyone else was spending time with their families, I'd be sitting behind the wheel of a bus listening to people complain about how they need more buses or demanding to know why it took so long to get there. Not to mention that in order to even get considered you had to have a Florida Address. So the commitment to it was something that you had to make before you had an idea that you might get the job. Happily for me, things happened that brought me to North Carolina for retirement. Once that happened I just completely forgot about my previous wish to be a Disney Bus Driver.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom